who wears sunglasses when cycling??

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
I was thinking of getting some sports sunglasses for when I am cycling as my eyes are getting pretty bloodshot when cycling 25+ mile distances. Anyone got anything bad to say against them - seems to me to be a no brainer (stops dust, rain, insects, wind etc.)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I sometimes suffer from eye problems when cycling fast, but prefer proper eye enclosing cycling goggles. I find with specs or open sides goggles that the eddies of draughts around the edges make my eyes suffer more than when not wearing any protection.

They come in various tints for sunlight protection of course.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
My eyes are very easily irritated so I wear some form of eye protection almost all of the time while cycling, suglasses during daylight and clear safety glasses in the dark.

I prefer the wrapround style, not because I'm a fashion victim but simply because they avoid the problems with open sides mentioned by Flecc.

There are cycling glasses available with interchangable lenses for different conditions, usually a dark tint, a yellow tint and clear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(also got a Cateye mirror BM500 - hope it fits flecc or I'll hold you directly responsible;) )
Depends where you plug it in!

If it's doesn't feel painful, you've probably got the right place. :p

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
I never used to wear them, but often ended up with dust and particles in my eyes - the sun is not such a bother to me, however, my husband has delicate eyes and introduced me to the triple colour interchangeable full glass/goggles available from Halfords - they are excellent and since wearing them I never have trouble with my vision on the bike - I almost feel as if I'm not wearing glasses at all. The only tip I'd give with these is that if you are setting out in the cold mornings, put them on for a few mintues before setting out to adjust to your body temperature, or you will need to stop and demist them !!

Jeanette

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi,

I've just tried out some of these AOSafety-BX-Bifocal-Grey-
Wrap around safety glasses with tint and with bifocal bits at the bottom.

I have had the pleasure today of trying them out for 20 miles in wind, sun and rain. Not only that, but the people I had lunch with were seriously impressed. Even more so when I told them the price.

Nick

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Flecc, what goggles do you use? I have some wrap-round sunglasses which are generally good, and I put a clear lens in them when it's raining or at night, but when it's cold my eyes get really sore on longer rides, so I may need to get some goggles for next winter.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The proper close fitting cycle ones that the average club cyclist uses Nick, cupping directly over the eyes. I've got a couple of pairs, strong tinted and weak one for when visibility is poor. I don't bother on the Q bike which travels at up to 17 mph most of the time, but need them on the T bike at 20 plus mph so always wear them on that.