Whoosh DWG22c 48v rear hub kit fit march 2021

GBCyclist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2021
This is my first bike conversion to electric but having been a cycling club member for many years and having worked as a bike mechanic in a shop in my student days I felt confident to take on the task.
A quick couple of e-mail to Whoosh confirmed the specification of kit needed and order placed.
I opted for the DWG22C as I simply wanted a bit of WHOOSH assistance on some hills around where I live - well at least until i regain some fitness lost over lockdown!
The kit was ordered minus brake sensor (£15 off price) as I simply wanted it to work from cadence (confirmed the system will fit my Hollowtech II BB).
Upon arrival the kit was checked over and was complete.
The fit took about 3hrs - if you take off the trip to the local bike shop to obtain a Shimano cassette tool that would accommodate solid wheel spindles of the electric hub as mine had the pin for QR hubs.
All very straight forward really with the most difficult part being fixing the PAS magnet ring to the inside of the RH crank on the chainring arms. Heres how it went:
My set up couldn't accommodate the PAS magnet ring backplate so the 2 half magnet rings had to be fixed to the inside of the cranks chainring arms. When pushed together the 2 half of the magnet ring proved to be a bit floppy so they were placed on a flat heat proof surface and 'welded' together with the tip of a hot screwdriver. Now then the inside of the Chainring arms weren't all level either so to obtain a good flat fit of the magnet ring I used blu tac to support one side and epoxied the remaining 4 arms (which were more or less level) - clearly all were heavily degreased before the use of glue. This method allows a good level fit with plenty of time for adjustment before the glue sets (30min epoxy used).
One other exception to the fit was the KM259 display bracket fixing screw. I'd guess it is designed for slimmer bars than mine and a longer bolt was used which did the trick nicely.
All in all the fit followed Whooshes instructions to the tee. Congratulations to Whoosh staff.
One further amendment I will make in the future is to fit a releasable cable tie to the chain stay cable which will allow for easy removal of the rear wheel (punctures are bound to happen and it will be tricky with the cable firmly attached to the chain stay).
A 7 mile test ride proved it to be a very capable bit of kit - further testing to take place once this rain stops!

Attachments

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
The timing of your post was quite convenient for me as I've just fitted the same kit to my Orbit tandem. Like you, I have written up my observations. I have tried to start my own thread, but I believe it needs to be approved by Admin first?

GBCyclist

Mar 4, 2021
The timing of your post was quite convenient for me as I've just fitted the same kit to my Orbit tandem. Like you, I have written up my observations. I have tried to start my own thread, but I believe it needs to be approved by Admin first?
Hi,
I just went to the ‘Kit review’ part of the web and posted a thread and it appeared pretty quickly.
I hope you got on well with the kit. Just did a 21 mile ride over hilly roads and it still has battery left - total of 29 miles so far on one charge.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Hi,
I just went to the ‘Kit review’ part of the web and posted a thread and it appeared pretty quickly.
I hope you got on well with the kit. Just did a 21 mile ride over hilly roads and it still has battery left - total of 29 miles so far on one charge.
I think I did the same, but nothing appeared. Hopefully my review will appear in due course.

I've been impressed with the battery range too - I wasn't expecting great things as the battery is having to cope with the weight of a tandem, but we did over 30 miles and have at least 60% of the battery remaining.

GBCyclist

Mar 4, 2021
Recently been monitoring the battery/mileage status and the Whoosh web site has it about right (for me)...mostly on level 3 of the controller and on windy, cold and hilly roads I get 45 miles out of the 13A battery with I'm guessing at least 5 or so miles left in it.
Well done Whoosh.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I get 45 miles out of the 13A battery with I'm guessing at least 5 or so miles left in it.
Well done Whoosh.
Agreed - I've been pleasantly surprised by the power of the motor and the range of the battery. Woosh do seem to provide pretty honest and accurate information about their kits. Makes a nice change from some of the hopelessly optimistic claims you see bandied around!

bulldogboab

Jul 15, 2021
This is my first bike conversion to electric but having been a cycling club member for many years and having worked as a bike mechanic in a shop in my student days I felt confident to take on the task.
A quick couple of e-mail to Whoosh confirmed the specification of kit needed and order placed.
I opted for the DWG22C as I simply wanted a bit of WHOOSH assistance on some hills around where I live - well at least until i regain some fitness lost over lockdown!
The kit was ordered minus brake sensor (£15 off price) as I simply wanted it to work from cadence (confirmed the system will fit my Hollowtech II BB).
Upon arrival the kit was checked over and was complete.
The fit took about 3hrs - if you take off the trip to the local bike shop to obtain a Shimano cassette tool that would accommodate solid wheel spindles of the electric hub as mine had the pin for QR hubs.
All very straight forward really with the most difficult part being fixing the PAS magnet ring to the inside of the RH crank on the chainring arms. Heres how it went:
My set up couldn't accommodate the PAS magnet ring backplate so the 2 half magnet rings had to be fixed to the inside of the cranks chainring arms. When pushed together the 2 half of the magnet ring proved to be a bit floppy so they were placed on a flat heat proof surface and 'welded' together with the tip of a hot screwdriver. Now then the inside of the Chainring arms weren't all level either so to obtain a good flat fit of the magnet ring I used blu tac to support one side and epoxied the remaining 4 arms (which were more or less level) - clearly all were heavily degreased before the use of glue. This method allows a good level fit with plenty of time for adjustment before the glue sets (30min epoxy used).
One other exception to the fit was the KM259 display bracket fixing screw. I'd guess it is designed for slimmer bars than mine and a longer bolt was used which did the trick nicely.
All in all the fit followed Whooshes instructions to the tee. Congratulations to Whoosh staff.
One further amendment I will make in the future is to fit a releasable cable tie to the chain stay cable which will allow for easy removal of the rear wheel (punctures are bound to happen and it will be tricky with the cable firmly attached to the chain stay).
A 7 mile test ride proved it to be a very capable bit of kit - further testing to take place once this rain stops!
Quick question mate in your humble opinion would that kit fit my bike as reading your post that’s what I’m looking to get out of my bike rides. Thanks John.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Your best bet is to contact Woosh directly and send them some photos of your bike. Their web-site lists some of the obvious 'gotchas' that you may encounter. On the face of it, your bike looks as though it would be OK for the DWG22C kit. You'll need clearance for a 180mm rear brake rotor and the rear dropouts have to be 135mm - 145mm.

Reactions: bulldogboab

GBCyclist

Mar 4, 2021
I agree with Jodel….give whoosh a call. I did this before ordering the kit and they are very knowledgeable and guided me to the right kit.

Reactions: bulldogboab

bulldogboab

Jul 15, 2021
I agree with Jodel….give whoosh a call. I did this before ordering the kit and they are very knowledgeable and guided me to the right kit.
I have mate I’ve asked if they have any in stock as I’m looking for two kits now, just waiting on a reply before searching elsewhere .