Whoosh ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just to add my two-penneth in respect of Woosh and it's product.

When I tested and reviewed the Woosh Karoo back in April 2016, I was both impressed and to an extent amazed by the quality of the frame and it's paintwork. It certainly put the standard finish on some 'European' bikes to shame, and was a point that my cycle shop owning friend hit upon straight away.

The cable operated discs were adequate for the task in hand, but with the switch to hydraulic brakes on the new models, and also the change away from the horrid looking chrome ended handle bar grips, the product has now taken a bit of a leap forward, but without sacrifice to price.

I also don't necessarily see the use of lower end drivetrain components for example as being such a bad thing, as what else could be expected at this price break. Lower priced components can at times be more durable, in some cases easier to set up, and certainly less desirable to unwanted attention. Of course these components can be upgraded over time.

The drive unit and battery set up seem to be of no concern, and any maintenance advice, is readily available, as I presume are parts.

I don't know if Woosh now use a free hub/ cassette or are still using a free wheel system. I personally prefer the former, but suspect that again cost comes into play.

When comparing Woosh to Halfords, whilst distance could be seen as an issue, I don't recall having seen anyone from Halfords offering advice or help on this or any other forum, and many examples can be seen on this forum, where Woosh have gone way over and above what would or could be considered normal service and help. I'm not going to drag up a previous thread highlighting this, but they certainly have more patience than I ever would.

Last edited:

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
When comparing Woosh to Halfords, whilst distance could be seen as an issue, I don't recall having seen anyone from Halfords offering advice or help on this or any other forum, and many examples can be seen on this forum, where Woosh have gone way over and above what would or could be considered normal service and help. I'm not going to drag up a previous thread highlighting this, but they certainly have more patience than I ever would.
Agreed!

I'm sure that Halfords do employ some capable and knowledgeable staff, but can you be sure of finding one of them if you have a problem with an ebike? My experience is that most of the people there would be better off selling something really technical - like socks or toothpaste.
If you won't risk* a Woosh, then at least buy from a proper bike shop - preferably one with real expertise in ebikes (yes - there are some, even as far away as Cornwall).

* As far as I can see, you would be down about £135 if you ordered a Rio and then sent it straight back because you didn't like it.

Paulmessenger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2017
Ardrossan scotland
I bough a nice woosh Krieger last year and the workmanship of the bike has been good. No problems with anything on the bike so far, living on the coast in Scotland its been great with the sea air.
I would have no hesitation in buying again long distance from them. I think i have one of the only Matt Black Kriegers in the country as well. Not sure if many more have been sold in this colour.

Reactions: flecc

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The Woosh Karoo 2108, is that now have built in frame battery and hydraulic brakes ? Your good in the photo but not easy to tell from that. Your website is still showing the old model?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Woosh Karoo 2108, is that now have built in frame battery and hydraulic brakes ? Your good in the photo but not easy to tell from that. Your website is still showing the old model?
yes, that correct. The new Karoo has in-frame battery and hydraulic brakes. The aim is still the same, the Karoo is for people who like to pedal a lot, that means a light and stiff frame, skinny tyres and stealthy motor. The main difference is the new one has a torque sensor in the bottom bracket.
I fit mudguards and rack in advance because most people want mudguards - if they don't want the rack, it's easier to take it out and put it in the shed than wait for it to come when you need it.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
(...Woosh Karoo 2108... website is still showing the old model?)
yes, that correct. The new Karoo has in-frame battery and hydraulic brakes.
I really like the look and concept of your new Karoo. Really does look great! Let us know when you put up more info on it.

PS - all the mainstream manufacturers are gearing up and announcing next years models now. Shouldn't you call the new bike the Karoo 2019 ? Gives you another year of longevity as well :)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I really like the look and concept of your new Karoo. Really does look great! Let us know when you put up more info on it.

PS - all the mainstream manufacturers are gearing up and announcing next years models now. Shouldn't you call the new bike the Karoo 2019 ? Gives you another year of longevity as well :)
may have to.
the rules about circumvention is such that customs and excise can say that the shipment is in fact a knock down kit or semi knock down kit and charge me anti dumping levy. It is already very messy to dismantle ready made bikes back to parts and I can't ship those parts together. When parts are shipped as LCL (less than a container load), the shipment has to be handed over to consolidators, causing unpredictable delays. It will take a few months to get organised, so, yeah, it is possible that the new Karoo will be delayed until November/December so should be re-christened Karoo 2019.

KEN OPENSHAW

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
we sell directly without dealers although we can arrange for a local bike shop to look after your bike.
Hi Tony
Nearly there.....think I’ll be ordering a Rio FB,but can you enlarge on the ongoing care of the Rio re your comments”we can arrange with a local bike shop to look after your bike” ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
re your comments”we can arrange with a local bike shop to look after your bike” ?
Hi Ken,
most of our customers can look after their bikes, from simple things like fixing punctures, to replacing brake pads and tightening up spokes.
Some don't have that ability, however, the bikes still need looking after. Yet, if you can't fix a puncture yourself, then who will do it for you? we therefore contact a local bike shop, they can set up the bike for you and look after it.
You will have to pay for their time but if you use your bike for commuting, it's your transport, you want it reliable. We can only do so much at the factory side, like fitting puncture resistant kevlar tyres or Marathon Plus for those who ask for them, sell you replacement brake blocks and pads and give you a free spoke key. That's why we always talk at length with customers to make sure that all angles are covered. If they buy online, we need a phone number to have that chat before delivery.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
yes, that correct. The new Karoo has in-frame battery and hydraulic brakes. The aim is still the same, the Karoo is for people who like to pedal a lot, that means a light and stiff frame, skinny tyres and stealthy motor. The main difference is the new one has a torque sensor in the bottom bracket.
I fit mudguards and rack in advance because most people want mudguards - if they don't want the rack, it's easier to take it out and put it in the shed than wait for it to come when you need it.
I really does look great, the most stealthy hybrid/flat bar communter I've seen. Be interested in the specs (battery size, motor torque etc)..hope it has a low profile lcd too

RevBob

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 31, 2012
I purchased a Whoosh Rio, to replace an illegal e bike. The Rio is our 4th ebike. Without a doubt it is the best e bike I have ever bought. I much prefer this Chinese hub machine to the bosch crank motors. Fitted a suspension seat post rack and panniers. It rides as smooth as a gilded lily floating on a pond. I am too busy enjoying the bike to write a full review.

Reactions: Allyjr

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
This post just reminded of that picture of the 2018 Karoo, all stealth and non ebike looking...Woosh what happened to that?, did you sell any and any update if still selling them on prices/specs, it looked like a winner in the pics

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I really does look great, the most stealthy hybrid/flat bar communter I've seen. Be interested in the specs (battery size, motor torque etc)..hope it has a low profile lcd too
battery: 36V 8AH Samsung cells
motor: Aikema
torque: 45NM

LCD: none. It's possible to add an LCD but you need a Y-splitter.

This post just reminded of that picture of the 2018 Karoo, all stealth and non ebike looking...Woosh what happened to that?, did you sell any and any update if still selling them on prices/specs, it looked like a winner in the pics
Since the anti-dumping levy, we have to assemble bikes ourselves in Southend so the new Karoo is delayed until the summer. I still ride the preproduction bike around in Southend.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
battery: 36V 8AH Samsung cells
motor: Aikema
torque: 45NM

LCD: none. It's possible to add an LCD but you need a Y-splitter.

Since the anti-dumping levy, we have to assemble bikes ourselves in Southend so the new Karoo is delayed until the summer. I still ride the preproduction bike around in Southend.

What is the weight of that whoosh?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
@whoosh

Looking to upgrade the gtech at some point this year.

Would you ever consider having a no gears bike for weight purposes?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry my iPad has a spasm and quoted the wrong the post.

I meant the weight of the entire bike.
As it is, 16kg.
if you pare it down (I have fitted lightweight pedals and mudguards but the saddle is heavy), you can get to 15kgs with the 45NM Aikema motor. If you replace the motor with the lighter SX100, you can shed another 1.1kg.

@whoosh

Would you ever consider having a no gears bike for weight purposes?
Not really. You need the gears to change the amount of assist because of the torque sensor.
There are lightweight cassettes if you want to shave some extra weight.
If you want something light, it may be better to convert an 8kg bike with the 2.6kg CD Gospade and a 1.2kg bag battery.