Why a Bafang BBSxx programming cable is a worthy investment!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
This isn't a thread to persuade owners of BBS01, BBS02 and BBSHD kits to turn their bikes into fire breathing monsters. Quite the opposite in fact.

When I bought my BBS02 a few years ago, I found the stock programming to be good for a non hilly commute, but not that great on forest tracks and steep inclines. Unfortunately, it's the latter that I built my bike for.

The stock programming wasn't suitable for the task, as I need a lot of torque at low speed and in low gears. This allows me to power my way through any muddy hilly terrain. I purchased a programming cable and saw that the stock program appears to favour economy. Thumbs up to Bafang. Last thing they need is to factory program units to the max, then receive negative reviews that owners aren't getting 50 miles out of their battery.

Another problem with the stock programming for me, is that I don't use a throttle. I quickly found out on my 8 speed cassette, that it was difficult to match cadence, road speed and torque, with the PAS settings.

The moral of this story is, that although the Bafang kits are excellent in almost every way, the stock programming is not 'one size fits all'.

So, no matter which BBSxx you own, a programming cable is a worthy investment for many reasons. If you find the bike launches too fast off the line, you can reduce the 'Start Current'. Or increase if you require a bit more pep. If you find the bike bogs down on hills and runs out of puff, even in the lowest gear, you may find increasing the 'Keep Current' will help. You can match PAS level current and speed to your particular gear set-up.

Possibilities are endless, but can turn the bike into the perfect riding machine.

D

Deleted member 4366

Good advice, but just to clarify a point, the programming seems to be different from every seller. Some are quite good, others are useless.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Good advice, but just to clarify a point, the programming seems to be different from every seller. Some are quite good, others are useless.
Totally agree d8veh. I think that the matching of PAS speed settings to gears may always need to be fine tuned though. At the end of the day, seller's programs don't know if it'll be used on a 5 speed bike or 11 speed.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Totally agree with this. I’ve been able to tweak my 9 pas settings into what works for me given my usage , my bike and gearing

Reactions: LeighPing

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
This isn't a thread to persuade owners of BBS01, BBS02 and BBSHD kits to turn their bikes into fire breathing monsters. Quite the opposite in fact.

When I bought my BBS02 a few years ago, I found the stock programming to be good for a non hilly commute, but not that great on forest tracks and steep inclines. Unfortunately, it's the latter that I built my bike for.

The stock programming wasn't suitable for the task, as I need a lot of torque at low speed and in low gears. This allows me to power my way through any muddy hilly terrain. I purchased a programming cable and saw that the stock program appears to favour economy. Thumbs up to Bafang. Last thing they need is to factory program units to the max, then receive negative reviews that owners aren't getting 50 miles out of their battery.

Another problem with the stock programming for me, is that I don't use a throttle. I quickly found out on my 8 speed cassette, that it was difficult to match cadence, road speed and torque, with the PAS settings.

The moral of this story is, that although the Bafang kits are excellent in almost every way, the stock programming is not 'one size fits all'.

So, no matter which BBSxx you own, a programming cable is a worthy investment for many reasons. If you find the bike launches too fast off the line, you can reduce the 'Start Current'. Or increase if you require a bit more pep. If you find the bike bogs down on hills and runs out of puff, even in the lowest gear, you may find increasing the 'Keep Current' will help. You can match PAS level current and speed to your particular gear set-up.

Possibilities are endless, but can turn the bike into the perfect riding machine.
Very true,

All bikes and riders won`t be the same of course, different types of setup, gearing, weight etc. Thankfully Bafang isn`t like Bosch, Yamaha etc as their system isn`t locked down.

This is an excellent site for those who are about to re-programme

https://www.poweredride.com/info/category/all

There`s a download section in there with a few .el files which you can try.

In fact it would be a good idea for this forum to provide a repository section for downloading various software files.
The one i found that suited my setup was by Penoff, his software is better than Bafangs own imo
https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011

I would get this but the price is crazy.https://lunacycle.com/luna-black-box-bbshd-bbs02-programmer/

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Very true,

All bikes and riders won`t be the same of course, different types of setup, gearing, weight etc. Thankfully Bafang isn`t like Bosch, Yamaha etc as their system isn`t locked down.

This is an excellent site for those who are about to re-programme

https://www.poweredride.com/info/category/all

There`s a download section in there with a few .el files which you can try.

In fact it would be a good idea for this forum to provide a repository section for downloading various software files.
The one i found that suited my setup was by Penoff, his software is better than Bafangs own imo
https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/
Thanks, I also found this a very useful read . Also highlights the diff between vendor settings

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/amp/

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Best 20 quid i've spent in a long time, The programming cable and a Bling Ring and your good to go. and penoffs software is a must if your computer is running windows7 because bafangs software cant be resized and with win7 you get a chopped off display that you cant alter.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Can anyone confirm if the power transition back to PAS from releasing the throttle is instant?

I'm thinking of wiring a push button to my throttle cable to activate the throttle circuit, and programming the throttle to 'Designated Assist 0 (zero)'.
As my 'Designated Assist 0 (zero)' is programmed for no assistance, I'm hoping that pushing the button will cut power, but reinstate it quicker than the notoriously long brake cut-off does.

The whole reason is to facilitate quicker power up after a gear change.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've seen the Bafang software with an extra programming page named 'Torque'.

Torque.jpg

Has anyone programmed a Bafang using the software and a torque sensing bike? In fact, is there even a torque sensing version of the BBSxx out there?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Any links for recommended cables/suppliers of them?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As much as I find their products and service great, I bought this one a few years ago and find the non genuine Higo a bit fiddly to line up and connect. There's always the worry of bending pins when I attach the cable.

Might have changed the design since then, but doesn't look like it judging by the picture.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
As much as I find their products and service great, I bought this one a few years ago and find the non genuine Higo a bit fiddly to line up and connect. There's always the worry of bending pins when I attach the cable.

Might have changed the design since then, but doesn't look like it judging by the picture.
Same here. I bent the pins on my max drive bike as a result of using a cable like this without taking enough care. End result was a new controller was required (my fault!). I subsequently ordered a cable direct from China with the correct connector and have had no more issues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk