Why car drivers DO NOT see cyclists

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I saw this article & thought, oh good, then after reading it's the usual advice.

https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2022-01-24/bu-docbike-research-suggests-motorcycle-collisions-could-be-caused-riders-car-drivers-seeing-different-things

Then I saw these & after reading thought aha.

https://theconversation.com/everything-we-see-is-a-mash-up-of-the-brains-last-15-seconds-of-visual-information-175577

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180105082243.htm

So the way to be seen is

1 cycle in the middle of the road so that you are not lost against the background
2 make yourself as conspicuous as possible, hi vis and more than one flashing light
3 make your bike as wide as possible visually, put rear view mirrors on the handlebars with flashing lights (I can't find the article that showed that the brain responds differently depending upon the width & hence perceived threat of objects. So a bike is treated the same as a lamp post & ignored, whereas the width of a car forces the brain to stop & actually see it)
4 have as much visual movement as possible hi vis or lights on legs or pedals or wheels

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Interesting reading and for cyclists, safety on the roads and associated topics, gets a good airing done to death on the Cyling UK forum - there's a wide difference of opinion - for instance, I'd say cyclists who ride in black (and living near a popular cycling route, I've seen many) are asking for trouble, but others will argue the opposite or in mitigation.

And the arguments drone on and on - I do hope this forum post doesn't go the same way :cool:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Activating immediate primal fight-or-flight responses in motorists, by means of bike mounted lights of very alarming eyeball searing brightness, is the only way forward IMHO.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the arguments drone on and on - I do hope this forum post doesn't go the same way :cool:
I very much doubt it will, there are too many moderates like me in here for it to happen.

64 million pedestrians, 40 million drivers, 3 million cyclists, 2 million motorcyclists and hundreds of thousands of horse riders.

All milling around on our hopelessly inadequate roads at speed differentials of over 80 to 1, yet less than 1800 lose their lives each year, by far the lowest proportion of the population of any country in the world.

Since some of that 1800 brought their demise upon themselves, over 99.997% of all the rest of those millions are doing a great job of keeping our roads so safe each year and they ALL deserve the credit for that, whether on two legs, two wheels or lots of wheels.

So there's no need for any blame game.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
A good read, thanks.

Agreed it's a shared problem for small vehicles, but there's a difference between motorbikes and bicycles - good motorcyclists can actively take avoiding actions because they're generally moving about the same speed as other powered vehicles, i.e. moving to the centre of the road when passing a junction is a safe and easy manoeuvre on a motorbike. On a bicycle you might move out a metre, maybe 2 at best, but that's it. Cyclists are more of a sitting duck because of the speed differential.

> very alarming eyeball searing brightness

Agreed on the conspicuous clothing & bright lights, but make sure they're dippable at night otherwise you'll just blind other road users with that powerful front light, and they'll be likely to drive at you - rabbit-like.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I'm pleased to report that my new 20W "1800LM" headlight, appears to make me more visible on the road at night - at about 48 seconds into this video, the car to my right waited there for a very long time, actually allowed me to pass... he must have mistaken me for a motorbike.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

ArleneCrut

Just Joined
May 7, 2022
It is not surprising that many drivers do not notice cyclists. Many cyclists are barely visible because they ride without special reflective signs.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I like to lean on facts if at all possible, but one area that I forgot about from a drivers perspective, is the "A pillar blind spot" in some cases it could literally be, "blink and miss you" - I personally try to minimise risk and reduce speed when approaching high traffic areas. That said a few months back I decided to circumvent a set of temp lights by hitting the pavement, all at a slow pace and some driver let someone else into their driveway, if I was young me and going faster he would have had me. My fault and no harm done but I always remember, I learn from my errors and errors of others. Oh and some road planners need a good talking too as well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Imv the reason why most don't see cyclists is;
1. Not enough due care and attention when driving.
2. Poor eyesight or drivers not owning up to having so.
3. Speed at and approaching junctions which relates to #1.
4. Being distracted by car devices which again relates to #1.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
2. Poor eyesight or drivers not owning up to having so.
I knew a dude who was learning to drive recently and the instructor asked him after 10 lessons or so if he could read a number plate from the DLVA set distance suffice to say he couldn't, common sense is lost. Maybe I give humanity too much credit.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Drivers aren't conditioned to look for and recognise cylists. I've had drivers look right at me and still pull out in front of me at intersections, despite my being clad head to toe in dayglow. At night I was lit up like a Xmas tree but that didn't help either. So I bought a very bright headlight, and that has improved matters a lot at night. My cheapo ultra bright light also makes me more visible during the day, which I am immensely pleased about. It's soldered to the battery, I keep it switched on constantly while cycling, day and night. Well worth £18.99 plus a bit of wire and solder IMHO. I might add another to improve night time video footage.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'd say cyclists who ride in black (and living near a popular cycling route, I've seen many) are asking for trouble
Roadies are currently favouring all black riding kit, and matt black bikes to boot. They think it makes them look cooler and more pro.

Me - 3200 lumens in your face driver :D

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I thought I'd end up crashing today because after reversing to pull out and turning his front wheels to the right, this twonk saw me and stopped just in time.

Fortunately, the oncoming car wasn't too close and slowed down, as I braked and swerved into the other lane.

DRIVERS DON'T LOOK! I WAS DRESSED IN HIVIZ AND HAD A VERY BRIGHT HEADLIGHT SWITCHED ON!

Last edited:

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Research reported on the Naked Scientists podcast, one of my favourites, showed that motorists do see approaching bikes or motorbikes but then instantly forget this when they subsequently turn their heads to look the other way. To avoid this, drivers are encouraged to say aloud “bike” or “motorbike”. This then helps the driver retain the alert information and avoids the driver pulling out in front of the rider. I try to use this trick this when driving.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Research reported on the Naked Scientists podcast, one of my favourites, showed that motorists do see approaching bikes or motorbikes but then instantly forget this when they subsequently turn their heads to look the other way. To avoid this, drivers are encouraged to say aloud “bike” or “motorbike”. This then helps the driver retain the alert information and avoids the driver pulling out in front of the rider. I try to use this trick this when driving.
Maybe they forget because they don't see us as a threat? I would have caused a dent if I'd crashed into the side of that car, but I'm not as big a perceived threat compared to colliding with another big heavy metal box on wheels. I was accelerating beyond 20mph using leg muscles when I saw that car start to move, and slowed down.

TBH I don't think my brakes are up to it and might transfer my kit to a better bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The brain doesn't compute the speed of a cyclist very well, esp those who do ride fast.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
The brain doesn't compute the speed of a cyclist very well, esp those who do ride fast.
I've taken to riding middle lane to avoid potholes, to be further away from carsand pedestrains and be more visible to them. Sometimes I manage to keep up with slower moving traffic at about 22mph, which feels safer on narrow roads.

A mother wheeled her pram out right in front of me yesterday without even looking, and didn't look round and continued across when I beeped her after slowing down. She was fleeing an angry and shouting woman having a loud argument on a phone, but I deleted that video. That happened shortly after a nasty looking wannabe bikenapper tried to get my attention.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
This driver almost got my bike, himself and maybe the lorry driver killed last night. He started overtaking, misjudged my speed and very narrowly missed colliding headlong into an oncoming lorry. Look at how close he got! :eek: If you turn up the volume a lot, you can hear the whooshing noise as he passes the lorry... it sounds like his right wing mirror scraped along the lorry straps, making little bumping noises hitting the straps that it has on it's side!

This happens quite often with those bollard islands in the middle of the road, and cars. This is the first time it's happened with a lorry. If he had collided with me next to him, I would have been smashed off the road! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What a drive rshould do and will or does do is far form what actually happens.
As the latest panarama report goes 1/3 of drivers simply don't give a s**t about cyclists.
As I have told the wife, if I'm severely injured or killed by a vehicle she makes sure she sues the ass off the offender and takes them to a civil court.
Money is the only thing a driver thinks about and the few seconds it takes them to not do anything stupid when behind the wheel is wasted on them. They have a very blinkered view of life behind the wheel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Money is the only thing a driver thinks about and the few seconds it takes them to not do anything stupid when behind the wheel is wasted on them. They have a very blinkered view of life behind the wheel.
You go much too far with these sweeping allegations Neal, the vast majority of UK drivers are very responsible and in fact they are the safest drivers in the world. I repeat from my post number 4 above:

64 million pedestrians, 40 million drivers, 3 million cyclists, 2 million motorcyclists and hundreds of thousands of horse riders.

All milling around on our hopelessly inadequate roads at speed differentials of over 80 to 1, yet less than 1800 lose their lives each year, by far the lowest proportion of the population of any country in the world.

Since some of that 1800 brought their demise upon themselves, over 99.997% of all the rest of those millions are doing a great job of keeping our roads so safe each year and they ALL deserve the credit for that, whether on two legs, two wheels or lots of wheels.

So there's no need for any blame game.