Why do so many Ebike sellers have no stock?

celedep

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
North London
Isn't it just so frustrating when you find something you like, you put time into researching what you want to then discover the seller has no stock. And to be advised the stock will still be "months" away is just amazing.

If you have no stock, you can't sell it. Simples! :rolleyes:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This is nothing surprising for goods in small demand.
I have just bought a Nissan Primera van which is the same van as the Renault Trafic and the Vauxhall Vivaro.
None of the main dealers in Swansea held any stock and could not show them to me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Same for me buying a particular low demand car, had to wait 5 months since they are built to order in batches.

C

Cyclezee

From a trade perspective, Cyclezee currently have most eZee bikes and conversion kits in stock as we just received a shipment this week.

Having said that, we didn't order enough Mk2 26" front wheel kits, they are sold out already.

It is not easy to predict exactly what stock to order and how many to meet demand particularly when we are not one of the stack them high sell them cheap operations.

Stock orders need to planned a minimum of 3 months ahead of delivery to the UK.

One particular model I just can't get before the end of the year is the eZee Carro trike. Although it is not a big seller, but there is some demand for it.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
with German,and other EU bikes its high demand in home markets... meaning we only see a trickle of supply.

as most UK bikes are from China its simply logistics, and having the balls and cash to place large advance orders and then getting caught out when demand exceeds expectations...

Order a bike from Germany and if in stock you can have it within 2 days via DHL....

C

Cyclezee

Order a bike from Germany and if in stock you can have it within 2 days via DHL....
Order a bike or kit from Cyclezee and if in stock, have it within 24 hours by TNT or City Link.
Have it same day if collected or within 50 miles of Milton Keynes delivered by Cyclezee, have it your way;)

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Order a bike or kit from Cyclezee and if in stock, have it within 24 hours by TNT or City Link.
Have it same day if collected or within 50 miles of Milton Keynes delivered by Cyclezee, have it your way;)
And I can vouch for Cyclezee's service - also their good communication - the more we keep our business with the UK dealers, perhaps more bikes would be able to be kept in stock.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
with German,and other EU bikes its high demand in home markets... meaning we only see a trickle of supply.

as most UK bikes are from China its simply logistics, and having the balls and cash to place large advance orders and then getting caught out when demand exceeds expectations...

Just done exactly that for a new battery. Six days to be delivered and even with postage was cheaper than I could buy here.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Isn't it just so frustrating when you find something you like, you put time into researching what you want to then discover the seller has no stock. And to be advised the stock will still be "months" away is just amazing.

Kudos has good stocks of every e-bike we sell with good supporting spares. Our new performance models due out late 2012 will be supported by over 140 stock bikes . When I buy something I want it now, not to be told months delivery.
Dave
Kudoscycles

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
It is perfectly possible to sell products that you do not have in stock. Why shouldn't it be possible?

Why not keep stock?
1. Saves a lot of money and risk.
2. Allows quicker progress (no old stock to get rid off).

Most shops will try to keep their stock-levels as low as possible.

For a product like bicycles (fairly high levels of wear and tear) you would expect a shop to have stock of replacement parts for repairs and maintenance (tyres, tubes etc.) and for sales purposes you might expect / hope for the possibility of a test-ride, particulalry for high-end models. However: people have been giving bikes for birthday presents etc. without test-drives for a long time. As you attach more value to the bike the requirements will change (if you want to do a daily 20 mile commute you will be more keen on riding comfort, reliability, servicing arrangements etc. then when you buy a kid its first bike to see how they like it in a supermarket's offer).

Particularly eBikes will be failry high in risk to keep in stock (high cost per item (+insurance and write-off) , lose value quickly as new models are released, etc. etc.).

So that's why.

Would it be desireable for consumers to be able to enjoy the advantages of high stock-levels? Well it would be nice if we could just buy and not wait, do testdrives, had no waiting times for repairs etc. At the current sales volumes of eBikes these stock-levels are not sustainable, unfortunately.

just my 2c.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Actually I think your blaming the wrong people. Surely it is the distributors who should have resonable levels of stock. To expect a small business to carry loads of stock especially allowing for any not sold in 12 months is "last years model" and so has to be sold at a discount is a large ask. but it does seem reasonalbe for the distributor to have at least some of each model in stock (although obviously even they cant hold massive stock for same reason as shop). But if I was the LBS and kept loosing sales because the distributor could not supply I would look for another supplier pretty quick.

Mind you have your tried walking into a car or motorcycle dealers and arranging to get exactly the model you want next week (or to test drive it for that matter) and they are far bigger business than your LBS.