why do you have more than one bike.......

pstallwood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2012
1 Wisper (fairly new with 500 miles on it so far and increasing steadily)
1 Brompton (hardly used - in back of campervan)
1 Raleigh Shopper (This is the oldest and has the most mileage on it was used for commuting)

Thinking of getting a lightweight hybid or road bike (I think wife has cottoned on as I keep disappearing into bike shops).

Why?

Why not?

Peter

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
J and I both have Bromptons which tend to live in the boot of the car. We have a pair of Juicy Dutch bikes for general use, and our old road bikes (mine, an Elswick-Hopper Stag and hers, a hand-built Ken Bird,) hang on the wall of the shed waiting for Drake's drum and the restoration of our youth ...
Mat the ewind be ever at your back,
Tom

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
May the ewind be ever at your back,
Tom[/QUOTE]

It never is though, is it?
You struggle against a headwind, thinking it'll be behind you on the homeward leg & the best it manages is to blow in one earhole giving you earache!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
An old thread, but I thought that I'd add to it.

I'm looking at a used pedelec tomorrow to compliment the NEO Xtrem.

All being well and good and if my offer gets accepted, I should have a second bike to play on. :)

Last edited:

Joneser

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2013
I hadn't cycled for 20 years and then this summer bought a crappy old Dahon off e-bay. I liked it so much I am now cycling 20 miles a day in London on my new Giant hybrid and I bought my wife a Brompton for her 40th, which seems basically to be mine too :)

I am a raging environmentalist (rather depressed at the state of things) and this is the first time I've felt good about buying 'things' in donkeys.
Air freight from China is not ideal but its only been 3kg for my motor and battery and it doesn't need a seat on the plane either :)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I don't think i'd want another ebike, on top of the one I have, but I am going to buy an unassisted bike to compliment it. It will probably be a Boardman Cyclocross. That will be it for me on the bike front.
Much harder, is trying to stop myself buying more motorcycles...... i'm finally down to one, saving loads of money on running costs.
At least with push bikes, once you've bought em there isn't constant high costs of tax, insurance and expensive servicing, that has to be done whether you ride em or not. So I get why people have a few.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Electric and regular MTB along with a regular hybrid.

Like shoes, one pair could not possibly suffice.

Motorbikes are shelved in my workshop on account that I find it difficult to stick to the governments recommended speed limits.
Not banned its just that I can ride my cycles as fast as I like and no fines and points.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I only have 2 because I go closer to "civilization" for work purposes to keep myself in bread and gruel (after tax) for days (sometimes weeks) at a time and in the absence of a car, one lives there. So it's one per dwelling.

I'm on a mission to get a car again by Xmas and that means the Kalkhoff will either become a very self-indulgent utility bike for town centre use or it'll be sold off if a sensible price can be obtained. I may well replace it with a non-eBike for going to gym and running messages in city centre and use the car for grocery shopping again. But I don't think I'll buy another bike without selling one.

Aside from anything else they all need looking after and maintaining, whether eBike or not, and I get enough grief as it is about how much space it all takes up. After all that space would be far better served housing boxes of old curtains and endless sets of crockery no-one ever uses, wouldn't it ! :rolleyes:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Aside from anything else they all need looking after and maintaining, whether eBike or not, and I get enough grief as it is about how much space it all takes up. After all that space would be far better served housing boxes of old curtains and endless sets of crockery no-one ever uses, wouldn't it ! :rolleyes:
It would, wouldn't it !

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
At the end of the day we are all ADDICTED to the rolling resistance, isn't that hard to resist or easy to assist ?

MS.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
What's even more exciting is how far the ebike technology has come in 5 years.
For me the companies driving a very niche product should be applauded .
Hey I may have 6 ebikes come spring 2014.
In 10 years hover ebikes.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Just two bikes I'm afraid. No space outdoors for any more. One is my faithful Smarta - now in excess of 14,000 miles on the clock; the other a Dawes hybrid bought in June for weekend leisure trips at a stately 8/10 MPH.

Did have an Urban Mover folder, but since I moved from Gloucester to Tewkesbury it never got used as 24 mile round trip commute was too far for it, and most other destinations in Tewks are walkable. Its sale paid for much of the Dawes.