Why I like buying from Wiggle

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I know it's a dirty word on bike forums, but I use Halfords a bit, for basics anyway. I find that if you order online and collect in store the prices are very good.

If you just wander in off the street they will rip you off though.
Do you really think that they are ripping you off?
I believe that they are charging more to cover he costs of running their massive high street warehouses.

Whilst I appreciate the price and convenience of online shopping I somehow feel that this along with social media etc we are becoming virtual hermits.
It won't be long and we'll not have to get out of bed or anything.

I'd much rather see the high street shops flourish and experience human interaction when shopping.

Reactions: flecc

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Do you really think that they are ripping you off?
I believe that they are charging more to cover he costs of running their massive high street warehouses.

Whilst I appreciate the price and convenience of online shopping I somehow feel that this along with social media etc we are becoming virtual hermits.
It won't be long and we'll not have to get out of bed or anything.

I'd much rather see the high street shops flourish and experience human interaction when shopping.
Here's an example. I bought a new chain online, and set off to pick it up in the shop. £3.49, a very reasonable price and reasonable quality.

I went into the shop to pick it up, and stood in the queue. Coincidently, the bloke in front of me asked the guys for a chain, they took one off the display and charged him £18.99. It was the very same product, I know for sure because they took mine from the same shelf because my order had not yet been picked.

So no, it's (edit) not me that being ripped off :)

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have bought 2 bikes from Halfords,
1/.. Own Brand MTB., £300 ish Carrera Craken I think it was, and my current road bike .. Boardman road comp.£699. Both bikes have been really good .
If you want a cheap bike you cant really beat Halfords.. Just recheck everything is tight when you get it!!
Air Valley Cycles has now closed and they had nothing to compare with halfords cheap bikes and a bike comparable to the boardman was well over £1000.
I dont knock halfords, although at times their service is questionable.. If you want a tool, tube or tyres, in fact most things are available until 8pm most days.
I use them a lot!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Here's an example. I bought a new chain online, and set off to pick it up in the shop. £3.49, a very reasonable price and reasonable quality.

I went into the shop to pick it up, and stood in the queue. Coincidently, the bloke in front of me asked the guys for a chain, they took one off the display and charged him £18.99. It was the very same product, I know for sure because they took mine from the same shelf because my order had not yet been picked.

So no, it's me that being ripped off :)
Not wishing to defend Halfords, I'd have to ask the question, what % of chains are sold online to shop floor. My guess is probably 10 fold or more in favour of online.

At end of the day, Halfords probably pay something like 50p for each chain so we're all ripped a little. Not forgetting tat they are in the business to maximise profits.

At £3.49, I'd say you had a good deal.