Why not the choice of speed sensors on centrl crank motors?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
A rough map is probably necessary for context, though the usual details would not be required as the speed could be calculated from distance/time. It is irrelevant if a side road is running parallel with a dual carriage way because the assisted speed would be limited to 15mph. The law ought to concentrate on dealing with those who drive/ride/cycle irresponsibly rather than try and outlaw those who don't.
I was thinking about it being introduced on all vehicles, to do that for just ebikes would cost so much per unit that it will kill the market overnight.
Cost aside I'd just wrap the reciever in foil and disable it.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I'd just wrap the reciever in foil and disable it.
If you culd find it :D I mean there's all sorts of ways to hide a car's immobiliser. As for on an ebike, what if it used the whole frame as an antenna? Your bike would look like a turkey ready for the roast! :D

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I was thinking about it being introduced on all vehicles, to do that for just ebikes would cost so much per unit that it will kill the market overnight.
Cost aside I'd just wrap the reciever in foil and disable it.
One day 15 mph speed restriction devices might be fitted to all vehicles!:mad: This will come about when all vehicles travelling above 15 mph are required to take their energy from a supply (from the local authority) which is remote from the vehicle.:cool: The vehicles will be fully automatic and only require a driver when being driven in areas where the remote energy supply is not available or has temporarily had a fault!:eek: Vehicles such as pedelecs which could be powered manually by one person over 15mph would allowed to be power assisted to the level reached manually.:D

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Compare with the S02 in-situ:

I got this photo from the french Cyclurba forum a while ago ( le forum ) ... since then, no news from the importer. The issue looks more political than anything else (difficulty to meet regulations ?)

I suppose that the Dahon Boost will be the first mass-produced application of the Sunstar S02 in Europe. I haven't seen a review yet, other than some early preview blurb.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
General reports on the Sunstar is that it's rather low powered, only mild assistance given. It has a set of DIP switches to set it for different wheel sizes, but one report says they don't seem to make much difference, so I suspect it will never be a popular choice. Probably be sufficient for a folder though, as on that Dahon, given the small wheel's mechanical advantage.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009