Why Ride Rad?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
35 Amp KT controller is a popular upgrade for the RAD and these controllers can be purchased with all of the correct connectors so it’s plug and play.

Some people also go to ridiculous extremes by water cooling the G060 and running it at well over 5kW.
Seriously?!?!? 48V X 35A = 1680W.

And then you sit an average sized American on top of it which will add another 20 stones.
Can they travel fast enough to knock over an empty Transit van? That'd be pretty rad.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I’m running a Bafang G020 at 35 Amps and 52 volts (on private property with the owner’s permission).

These Bafang motors can take a lot of power. But I did have to oil cool the G020. I think the G060 can be run at that level without oil cooling.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Here you go. It’s expensive though, but saves having to butcher the wiring.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Does the display show motor, controller, or ambient air tempareature?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Well it won’t show motor temperature because the G060 isn’t fitted with a temperature sensor.

I fitted an LM35 sensor to my Bafang motor and removed the wheel speed sensor, so I could use the white wire for measuring temperature.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well it won’t show motor temperature because the G060 isn’t fitted with a temperature sensor.

I fitted an LM35 sensor to my Bafang motor and removed the wheel speed sensor, so I could use the white wire for measuring temperature.
Are you oil cooling your 35A controller too, or is that not necessary?

I suspect the OP might need a better battery for safety, if he wants to install that controller upgrade.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
My controller is just mounted onto a 4mm aluminium plate bolted to the frame.

I suspect the standard Rad battery would be overwhelmed by a 35 amp controller.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Almost forgot - do you know of a cooler ebike on the market? I don't.

Appreciate your input.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

To be honest with you I think most cyclists would classify your bike as a moped or a bike/moped hybrid for the reason Thelarkbox mentioned above. Did you try to ride your bike without assistance? If you didn't, then try.
Bikes like yours are very popular in USA and people use them with 750-1000W motors and full throttles as mopeds. They are not so popular in Europe mainly because legal 250W motors are not powerful enough for them.

What I don't like about your bike:
Super heavy, single speed, fat tyres, massive rear rack (designed for passenger?). Mechanical disc brakes at this price? Controller is under BB? Quite unfortunate choice. Very expensive for what it is. 25 miles range is really low. Not my cup of tea entirely.
It looks cool though - I give you that (apart from bizarre rear rack)

Also I have a funny feeling it might not be entirely legal. Does it have twist and go throttle?

I wonder why did you buy this bike in the first place? Why ride Rad? It is a very good question, but your vlog does not answer it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I’m running a Bafang G020 at 35 Amps and 52 volts (on private property with the owner’s permission).

These Bafang motors can take a lot of power. But I did have to oil cool the G020. I think the G060 can be run at that level without oil cooling.
Just out of interest, how high could you go without cooling ? (I have a G020 with 48v 15 amp controller which seems fine for me and I don't think I could go any higher because I don't know of a more powerful controller that has a bottom bracket torque sensor input)
I did have to introduce some ventilation to cool the controller because on really long steep hills I could overheat the controller on top assist level

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I have read that it can be run at 1000 watts without cooling. But I have also seen plenty of YouTube videos with burned up phase wiring.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I can't imagine cycling a 36kg bike with no gears and a legal 250 watt motor up a hill. The later Rad-Runner versions at least had gears (and suspension IIRC).

Reactions: MikelBikel

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
It’s only the Radrunner 2 that is single speed. All of the other Rads have 7 speed Gears.

Americans don’t like peddling , so they wouldn’t know what to do with the gears.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just out of interest, how high could you go without cooling ? (I have a G020 with 48v 15 amp controller which seems fine for me and I don't think I could go any higher because I don't know of a more powerful controller that has a bottom bracket torque sensor input)
I did have to introduce some ventilation to cool the controller because on really long steep hills I could overheat the controller on top assist level
Rather than thinking in that direction, it would be better to think about choosing stuff that's more suitable for your needs. Motor speed is the most important characteristic. You can go quite high on power without having to cover deficiencies when your motor is running efficiently. A nice controller with the correct power algorithm that allows you to get the power you want when you need it is also more useful than stupid torque sensors that make your electric bike feel more like an unassisted one. Remember, you wanted an electric bike for some reason.

Reactions: flash and flecc

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
De gustibus non est disputandum.

To be honest with you I think most cyclists would classify your bike as a moped or a bike/moped hybrid for the reason Thelarkbox mentioned above. Did you try to ride your bike without assistance? If you didn't, then try.
Bikes like yours are very popular in USA and people use them with 750-1000W motors and full throttles as mopeds. They are not so popular in Europe mainly because legal 250W motors are not powerful enough for them.

Super heavy bike, single speed, fat tyres, massive rear rack (designed for passenger?). Mechanical disc brakes at this price? Controller is under BB? Quite unfortunate choice. Very expensive for what it is. 25 miles range is really low. Not my cup of tea entirely.
It looks cool though - I give you that (apart from bizarre rear rack)

Also I have a funny feeling it might not be entirely legal. Does it have twist and go throttle?

I wonder why did you buy this bike in the first place? Why ride Rad? It is a very good question, but your vlog does not answer it.
Hi Az. - I know why I Ride Rad, it's a truly versatile utility ebike for starters, very robust, the fat-tyres help with traction with the addition of both the seat post & gel seat helps with comfort, and the cherry on the cake is the Eggrider v2, which means I can pedal up steep inclines without losing my initial speed - what's not to like? Appreciate the input.

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
I can't imagine cycling a 36kg bike with no gears and a legal 250 watt motor up a hill. The later Rad-Runner versions at least had gears (and suspension IIRC).
Hi Cyclebuddy - With the addition of the Eggrider v2, cycling steep inclines is a breeze, even with a no-nonsense single gear. Appreciate the input. Ride Rad

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024

Hi AGS - Why not simply install the Eggrider v2? It's by far the pimpliest and easiest upgrade for The Radrunner. Appreciate the input. Ride rad

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
It’s only the Radrunner 2 that is single speed. All of the other Rads have 7 speed Gears.

Americans don’t like peddling , so they wouldn’t know what to do with the gears.
hI ags - Radrunner 1 is also single-geared. Ride Rad

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi AGS - Why not simply install the Eggrider v2? It's by far the pimpliest and easiest upgrade for The Radrunner. Appreciate the input. Ride rad
How do you use Eggrider to get up hills. I thought it was just an interface to change controller parameters. How do you use it during a rise.

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Hi saneagle - Because the Eggrider releases all the Torque of the 500W Bafang motor, it means that I can climb steep inclines without loosing any speed as I pedal, there is a really good video that explaining what the Eggrider v2 brings to the Radrunner, it's from Big Game Bikes, where I bought my Eggrider form, the guy who owns BGB (Gareth) goes through what the Eggrider is, and what it can do for a Radrunner, please see below link:

Thanks for the input.

Ride Rad