Why the Bafang mid drive has rekindled my passion for pedelecs

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Great to see all the enthusiasm for the Bafang mid-drive kits. Agreed they are great fun once fitted on your bike - but how about the process of fitting? A lot of our customers find this a bit tricky and we have had to start warning people that it is more complicated fitting one of these than just a standard hub wheel kit (mainly due to the bottom bracket replacement step)

What are your thoughts Fordulike?
There's a docking platform that comes with the battery, which attaches to the frame using the water bottle mounts.

Difficult to see properly, but your frame looks kinda small, and I'm wondering if you have enough room in the triangle for a dolphin battery. You need some space around the battery, for it to be able to slide off and on the docking platform.

For hydraulic brakes, you'll have to purchase the hydraulic brake sensors and attach the sensors and magnets onto your brake levers.
I used gorilla tape cut to size, which has proved to be a good solution.
I'll post some pictures, once I can get my phone working with Windows 10 :mad:

As kinninvie mentioned in post #21, he has one fitted on a 73mm BB with no problems.

Great to see all the enthusiasm for the Bafang mid-drive kits. Agreed they are great fun once fitted on your bike - but how about the process of fitting? A lot of our customers find this a bit tricky and we have had to start warning people that it is more complicated fitting one of these than just a standard hub wheel kit (mainly due to the bottom bracket replacement step)

What are your thoughts guys would you recommend one of these to someone who hadn't done a conversion before?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Two problems came to light when fitting the kit.

Firstly, I had an issue trying to remove the bottom bracket using the splined tool I had bought. One side came off no problem, but the other side was really tight and I feared that I may damage the splines before the thing came off.
Therefore I took both wheels off, bunged the frame in the boot of the car and drove to Halfords for help.
Luckily a nice chap there removed it for me, with a much better tool than I was using.
All for free. Thanks Halfords.

The second problem was an oversight on my behalf. I couldn't slide the motor all the way through the bottom bracket shell. After a bit of seething and head scratching, I realised that the cable guide on the bottom of the frame was attached by a screw, which protruded slightly into the bottom bracket housing. This was stopping the motor from sliding all the way in.
Half a turn anticlockwise of this screw allowed enough clearance. Problem solved.

Last edited:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I recently ( about 3 days ago) watched a video on You Tube where a guy fitted a Bafang mid drive kit. Was quite detailed and did not look too complicated. But then I suppose they never do if you know what you are doing. The most complicated bit to me was removing crank to fit motor. However it did fire my enthusiasm a bit and if I manage to get a bit of spare cash I may give it a try

gray

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster

What are your thoughts guys would you recommend one of these to someone who hadn't done a conversion before?
Absolutely no problem, it was my first conversion. Before I started I watched several YouTube videos and read the official Bafang guide. I already had the necessary tools and an engineering background which obviously helped.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I have the older square taper BB, it was very easy.
I would say a bit easier than a hub drive conversion.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

the worst bit in installing a hub motor is to find that the wheel is not centered to the middle line of the frame. Front hub motor wheels are usually nearly centered, only 36 spokes need tightening. Rear hubs usually need dishing and truing all over again.
Fitting a BBS01 motor is a piece of cake in comparison.