Why the Bafang mid drive has rekindled my passion for pedelecs

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My bikes a 73mm BB and chain alignment is perfect with a standard Bafang chainring..
2800 miles on it now!!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My bikes a 73mm BB and chain alignment is perfect with a standard Bafang chainring..
2800 miles on it now!!
That's good news. I think it's a case of try it and see. I reckon the people who don't have any issues, far outweigh the ones that do.

I put mine down to buying a cheap base bike, and wish I had spent a few more pennies for a Specialized, like my previous bike.

Reactions: Kinninvie

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
I see no reason why it wouldn't fit your bike. It's better if the Cube has a 68mm bottom bracket to minimize chain alignment issues.

Saying that, my current bike is 68mm and had a chain alignment issue from the start, which is why I fitted the custom 42T with improved offset.
It's something you won't find out until you fit the kit I'm afraid.

If you're not riding stupidly steep dirt track hills like me, then the Bafang 350w may be ok for you. I believe your Sirrus kit's controller is rated at 7 amps, so the Bafang 350w with 18 amp controller will certainly feel more powerful.

You could always fit a 750w and use the lower PAS levels, but I'm not sure how you would feel about the legality of such a bike.

Edit: The 350w version is not legal either!
thanks fordulike,

I have a few more concerns dont know how to fit battery in the frame,and i have hydraulic brakes,how does the sensor works, cause I do like to put the PAS ,i have uploaded photo of the bike,

I also measure the BB and is 73mm

Attachments

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
thanks fordulike,

I have a few more concerns dont know how to fit battery in the frame,and i have hydraulic brakes,how does the sensor works, cause I do like to put the PAS ,i have uploaded photo of the bike,

I also measure the BB and is 73mm
There's a docking platform that comes with the battery, which attaches to the frame using the water bottle mounts.

Difficult to see properly, but your frame looks kinda small, and I'm wondering if you have enough room in the triangle for a dolphin battery. You need some space around the battery, for it to be able to slide off and on the docking platform.

For hydraulic brakes, you'll have to purchase the hydraulic brake sensors and attach the sensors and magnets onto your brake levers.
I used gorilla tape cut to size, which has proved to be a good solution.
I'll post some pictures, once I can get my phone working with Windows 10 :mad:

As kinninvie mentioned in post #21, he has one fitted on a 73mm BB with no problems.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks to small to me as well ;(

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
my other option is to fit the KHS alight,but I do like the comfort and stance on my 29er, the KHS will have enough room on the downtube ,it has a 68 mm BB,

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
should fit on that ;)

so how long was it b4 you wanted more power lol ;)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The trick is to make yourself a cardboard template, using these dimensions, and try it in the frame. Then you'll know for sure:
Dolphin Dimensions.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my diy bike not going to happen batts way to big for me motor ;(

hyper cycle on hold.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only want 350v 1000a batt for it lol and 3 phase inverter

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
3 days at least,soundwave

i found a 500w 36 volt at em3ev,cost 328.24 plus customs charges??,no uk sellers stocks 500w 36 volt that I know,anyone ordered from em3ev,how long does it take,im planning to chose UK SAL,wt, whatever it means,

Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
3 days at least,soundwave

i found a 500w 36 volt at em3ev,cost 328.24 plus customs charges??,no uk sellers stocks 500w 36 volt that I know,anyone ordered from em3ev,how long does it take,im planning to chose UK SAL,wt, whatever it means,

Thanks
I ordered a complete MAC motor kit from EM3EV a few years ago, specified SAL delivery and it took 4 weeks IIRC.

You'll probably get stung for import tax, custom charges etc..., as UK customs have clamped down on imported goods. Vendors from China used to falsify the true value of a shipment to save the customer these charges, but I'm not sure they do that any more.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
want 1 from the eu as customs charges will be whatever the cost of it is plus 20% and the fee for the post office for importing it.

so if they put worth of 500 dollars they just charge tax at 500 uk plus 20%

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would personally wait for the likes of Eclipse Bikes or Woosh to get some stock back in.

D

Deleted member 4366

£392 including shipping from BMSBattery.com. always in stock.

dbar

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2013
To be quite honest the lower powered one is probably easier to ride most of the time. I think this would be all that most people need. It's just nice to have that extra surge to get over a rock or when you round a bend and find a sudden uphill bit.

eBike Sales

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2015
Northolt
If the Dolphin battery is too big for your frame, you could consider the Rocket which is a smaller unit. The obvious compromise for size is the capacity but by using LG cells it can get 12.6Ah at 36v.

delboy55555

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
I use my BBS02 750w as a replacement for journeys i would normally take by car or motorbike, and as such, i need to get somewhere rather than just going out for a ride around, and because of that, i nearly always use level 9 and the throttle and only assist with pedalling on the hills, i'd say my average speed is about 30mph overall, i've seen 46mph on the speedo on a downhill and about 30-34 is the sort of speed i travel at, Its fast enough that i have to wear sunglasses all the time because of the flies hitting you in the face, If it didnt look silly i'd wear my motorbike helmet ![/QUOTE
That sounds the perfect setup for me :)
What size chanwheel up front and cassete at the back do you have out of curiousity how steep and long are the hills also hows the battery life/range?