Why wouldn't I buy from this chap?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Go for it, I dare you! :)
Might do. I mean I do like my Haibike & an upgrade would be nice.

Wondering if I should PM Martin & ask:-
a) Will you fit a dongle to it?
b) Will you 100% warranty it & deal with any & all problems I might have in the next 100 years or so even though I didn't buy it from you?
c) If it doesn't come or turns out to be stolen will you agree to replace it for me free of charge even though the original transaction is nothing to do with you?
d) When you collect my bike under b) or send me the replacement bike under c) will you ensure that whatever courier you use hangs about all day & waits for me to get home? (I'm sure Hatti would offer this service now!).

Subject to Martin confirming a) to d) I might just go for it!

D

Deleted member 4366

If you pay by Paypal. you're 100% protected. The worst that could happen is that the bike you get doesn't match the description, in which case you'd lose £35 to send it back to Brighton. Whatever promises you get, you have to make a Paypal claim on day 39 if the bike hasn't already arrived.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
If you pay by Paypal. you're 100% protected.
Is that right though d8veh?

eBay has you covered
You're covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee for just about every purchase on eBay.co.uk when you pay with PayPal.
As with every programme like this, there are some rules:
  • eBay Money Back Guarantee protects you in case you do not receive your item or if the item is not as described in the listing. If this happens, you need to tell your seller within 30 days of your actual or latest estimated delivery date.
  • The programme is designed to protect purchases that are usually sent by post – over 99% of listings on eBay are. It doesn’t include vehicles, real estate, businesses for sale, digitally-delivered goods or services.
Isn't a cycle a vehicle?

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Might do. I mean I do like my Haibike & an upgrade would be nice.

Wondering if I should PM Martin & ask:-
a) Will you fit a dongle to it?
b) Will you 100% warranty it & deal with any & all problems I might have in the next 100 years or so even though I didn't buy it from you?
c) If it doesn't come or turns out to be stolen will you agree to replace it for me free of charge even though the original transaction is nothing to do with you?
d) When you collect my bike under b) or send me the replacement bike under c) will you ensure that whatever courier you use hangs about all day & waits for me to get home? (I'm sure Hatti would offer this service now!).

Subject to Martin confirming a) to d) I might just go for it!
I dunno, nobody does things on trust these days!

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Always possible this guy has had his account hacked,as an infrequent user he probably wouldn't notice until its too late.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this looks like a scam.
if the item is from bankrupt stock, why can't it be collected or shipped at the close of the auction? why wait 21-23 days after you have paid? why does it have to be shipped from the distributor? if the owner has already gone under, then which distributor is going to ship it out?
it seems that the scheme is just to string you out long enough for paypal protection to run out before you could work out the quiproquo.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I emailed the seller asking to view it - curiosity more than anything else

The complete lack of response. Is telling IMHO

Reactions: Wander

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Someone should report it. There's a spate of eBay scam listings lately. One of the favourite's is expensive hi fi at cheap prices and being sold from Shetland or the far north of Scotland where it's hard to go and pick it up. When people have messaged them saying that they are there on holiday and can they come and look they somehow never hear back...

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Well under an hour to go & somebody has bid £3,000!

I predict that it will end in tears.

Edit: £3,000 bid has just mysteriously disappeared, curiouser & curiouser.

1***i
( 198
)Cancelled: £3,000.00Bid:19-Aug-14 22:32:21 BST
Cancelled: 20-Aug-14 10:24:12 BST

Last edited:

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I currently have my Street Triple up for sale on an EBay Classified advert. Within 24 hours I had three scam emails, all promising to pay by PayPal and send a courier (of their arrangement) to collect the bike. Of course the PayPal account will be a legitimate one that is hijacked and when the owner notices the money gone then PayPal will take it back as I wouldn't have proof of delivery. Then I'd have no money and no bike.

Rather amusingly the scam email had some parts copied and pasted across the different versions (oil rig worker, lady with hectic schedule etc), which I thought lacked imagination. It's sad some people are so quick to steal from others. I guess those abroad less fortunate than us think we are rich enough to fleece and it doesn''t matter.

D

Deleted member 4366

Why don't you scam them back by accepting their payment and then not being in when the courier comes? Leave a message that says you've been rushed to hospital with gall stones, so will sort out collection in a couple of weeks. They'll lose the cost of the courier - maybe.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Why don't you scam them back by accepting their payment and then not being in when the courier comes? Leave a message that says you've been rushed to hospital with gall stones, so will sort out collection in a couple of weeks. They'll lose the cost of the courier - maybe.
Then that would lead to a rocky start.

MS.

shanew4848

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2014