Why wouldn't I buy from this chap?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi everyone, I have bidded on the following item on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bodymax-IT9327-4-Stack-Jungle-Machine-Multigym-Weight-Machine-/291239225826 but fear it may be a scam as described above, also my bid was matched to the penny with 5 seconds left, literally jumped from me winning auction with bid of £218 with 3-5 seconds remaining, to someone equaling my bid, lost faith in ebay now, I should not go through with transaction, what happened with the bike?
That doesn't look like a scam to me. It's a UK seller, who accepts Paypal, so you'd be completely covered.

The guy that won had already bid more than you before you, which is why he won. His bid was at 12:55. Yours was 13:01. You simply didn't bid high enough.

shanew4848

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2014
The seller is based in Latvia? but the item is apparently in brighton?I put my maximum bid in around 10 mins before end of auction (£501.01) then low and behold at the last second of auction someone else apparently bids £501.01 doesn't that seem amazing to you?

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

shanew4848

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2014
Basically it's some sort of fraud going on, doesnt ring true that someone would match me with 3 seconds left. obviously someone knew what my max bid was at.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
they use this site or similar ones
http://www.goofbid.com/
There are websites that do the bidding for you, and are usually much better to use than ebay (Which is a TERRIBLY designed site with mutliple issues and a terrible search interface! I really have NO IDEA how it took off like it did!)

Here in NZ, the ebay equivalent is trademe.co.nz, but I use BidBud.co.nz, which functions as trademe does, but it uses advanced bidding tactics and does so on trademe auctions.

One of these tactics means no-one can bid against my bid, unless thay make a bid higher than the minimum bid increase.

I prefer to use the slow tactic, which places a bid as the auction closes, and will keep doing so until your bid limit is reached.

I think you'll find someone is using a similar site, as mentioned above

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Basically it's some sort of fraud going on, doesnt ring true that someone would match me with 3 seconds left. obviously someone knew what my max bid was at.
I think that they just used what I use which is :

www.justsnipe.com

Also when using it is usually a goof idea not to bid an exact amount, like £500, as that will be what most do, but bid slightly above it.

Whether the seller is a scammer is a different question all together.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I think that they just used what I use which is :

www.justsnipe.com

Also when using it is usually a goof idea not to bid an exact amount, like £500, as that will be what most do, but bid slightly above it.

Whether the seller is a scammer is a different question all together.
I bid like this without using any software. Just have item open in 2 windows at once, with maximum bid ready to go in one and keeping track of progress in the other. Bang in max bid about 10 secs before end, and as long as it's higher than anyone else's potential maximum bid, you win without necessarily paying out that much, as eBay only takes what is necessary to win the item.

Sounds more complicated than it is, and I very rarely fail to win what I'm after.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I bid like this without using any software. Just have item open in 2 windows at once, with maximum bid ready to go in one and keeping track of progress in the other. Bang in max bid about 10 secs before end, and as long as it's higher than anyone else's potential maximum bid, you win without necessarily paying out that much, as eBay only takes what is necessary to win the item.

Sounds more complicated than it is, and I very rarely fail to win what I'm after.
I've always bid like that and the main advantage is you bid what you think it's worth to you and are not tempted to overbid. If you win it cheaper great, and if you win it at close to your bid than that's what you were prepared to pay.

You can get caught out doing this if something is limping along for days and you think you'll get a bargain and you don't bid high enough to cover it quadrupling in the last few seconds. But if you know what it's worth and are prepared to back you judgment that should'nt happen.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I wouldn't have bid for that with Your money, let alone Mine :rolleyes:
Latvian _ feedback 3 _ 21 days mnimum delivery time :p:p:p

D

Deleted member 4366

Whowever bought the Haibike didn't leave any bad feedback though.