Whyte Clifton opinions please.

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Hello everybody.
My name is John, I’m 69 and a lifelong road cyclist.
I have not been very well since October and not been able to ride my bikes, I’ve lost all of my fitness and now desperate to get out riding again. I hope to be able to get out in the next month or so, condition permitting.
I have been idly thinking about ebikes recently, and found myself near a bike shop that sold them, so went in and had a chat to the manager. The first bike he showed my was a Whyte Clifton, and I was very impressed, though have not taken a test ride yet. It ticks all the boxes for me, it looks good, in my opinion, has a decent range and is fairly light.
Most of the riding I will be doing will be along cycle tracks and quiet country roads.

Is this considered a decent bike, and would it be suitable for me…probably a difficult question to answer I guess.
I have absolutely no basis for comparison, there may be better options?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hello everybody.
I have not been very well since October and not been able to ride my bikes, I’ve lost all of my fitness and now desperate to get out riding again. I hope to be able to get out in the next month or so, condition permitting.
I have been idly thinking about ebikes recently, and found myself near a bike shop that sold them, so went in and had a chat to the manager. The first bike he showed my was a Whyte Clifton, and I was very impressed, though have not taken a test ride yet. It ticks all the boxes for me, it looks good, in my opinion, has a decent range and is fairly light.
Most of the riding I will be doing will be along cycle tracks and quiet country roads.

Is this considered a decent bike, and would it be suitable for me…probably a difficult question to answer I guess.
.... It's a personal choice, but at your age ( just 3 years in advance of mine) I would be recommending a step through frame. Safer to get on and off .

• Agree
Reactions: gray198

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Posh bike, looks nice and I would have loved one before I turned bent.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
welcome it looks a good bike?
But I would strongly suggest you take a bit of time and try a few different types out.
A step through and throttle control is worth thinking about more so in the future.
Your future mobility awaits and enjoy.
Bob

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
It really looks nice and very sleek and zippy. The weight of the bike is very impressive. It looks good for urban use in particular. This is a Shimano Steps motor and in this price range it competes with the Yamaha and Bosch motors. Those motors I think give more 'power', perhaps more noticeable for steeper climbs. The steps I have heard is a bit more leisurely (with the weight of the bike that may not be noticeable), but you gain in efficiency/more distance. These difference maybe more or less noticeable, however they are considerations - there might be different opinions on the motor performances

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RobF

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello John

I have a Whyte Coniston, so similar-ish, and I find mine a well made, comfortable and well rounded performer. Love it to bits :)

I really didn't notice any significant difference in power delivery between the Shimano and Bosch drive systems. But then maybe that's coz I'm an insensitive luddite and was testing them on a fairly level lane :rolleyes:

Gaz

• :D
Reactions: ncpdnc

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Thanks all for your comments I think I would be pleased with it if I bought one. I am still not well enough to test ride one yet but when I am I certainly intend to try one out.

FrodoBaggins

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi
I just thought I would add my 2p worth.
I have a Whyte Stirling (non electric) and it is awesome, it is really light and easy to ride. Of course not as easy as an ebike, but good.
I also have an Oxygen City ebike, that too is good but has a massive lack of coolness and also has one major issue (like most ebikes) its very heavy.

My commute requires me to lift my bike over a wall and this is a major show stopper with my ebike, I have been toying with the idea of fitting a kit to my Stirling for a while now until I saw this Whyte ebike in the shop.
It is like a professional ready made version of the hash I am thinking of putting together.

Sadly I coudnt afford more than £1000 for my ebike but if I had the money I would buy this in a heartbeat. I picked it up and I reckon it weighs half of my Oxygen. I would get this over the wall no issues.

Like everyone rightly says, you need to buy the bike that suits your personal needs, whether that be looking cool or getting over walls. I sadly did not take that advice so I wonder what the longetivity is for my Oxygen but I am having fun learning about ebikes and cutting my teeth on something that was one third of the price of this Whyte.

But if I won the lottery tomorrow this would be in my garage within 24 hours!

Not sure any of that helps but good luck with whatever you do

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm just about to convert a Whyte kings cross to an ultra-lightweight hybrid type of bike. I'm just waiting for the spokes to build the wheel, then I'll start. I'll start a thread on it tomorrow, so look out for it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm just about to convert a Whyte kings cross to an ultra-lightweight hybrid type of bike. I'm just waiting for the spokes to build the wheel, then I'll start. I'll start a thread on it tomorrow, so look out for it.
Would that be with a 1.4 kg motor perchance? :rolleyes: We are chomping at the bit waiting for your appraisal of that motor.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz
D

Deleted member 4366

It is indeed. It came yesterday and it's tiny - smaller than a Q75.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Drool... :D

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello everybody.

Hi John,
You have definitely come to the right place and soon you will be having tons of options thrown your way. But, just make sure to take it nice and slowly because 69 is a very good position to be in.

All the best!

MS.