Help! Whyte Glencoe and CD motor

Brobert99

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2020
Hi, I have been following the forum for a while and reading various build threads and issues with installing the TSDZ2 and Bafang BSS02.

I have a Whyte Glencoe which has 1x11 SRAM gears, and looking to install either of these two motors. From what I have read there may be two issues with the bottom bracket area.

The chainstay clearance – from reading online I believe this should be a minimum of 68mm. From measuring this on my bike, it is very close. Can a spacer be used to push the chain ring out slightly?

Cable exit points – they run through the downtube and exit at the bottom bracket but are sleeved all the way. I wondered if it would be as easy as just removing the cable guide, or if the cables would still fouling the motor?

With the 1x11 gearing, is there a chance that the chain line would be impacted?

I have posted a few photos of the BB and chainstay, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BB might still be an issue with the TSDZ due to the cavity carrying the cables to the rear also the thick surface weld, the TSDZ has less clearance between motor body and frame then the Bafang BBS.

Brobert99

May 23, 2020
Thanks Nealh

Does the TSDZ need to be hard up against the bottom bracket then? Is there any scope to put a compressible foam or such like between the bottom bracket and the motor to account for the weld and cables or do you think a Bafang would be better suited?
Thanks again

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Peter or Woosh will answer better but the issue is with the tsdz design and the gap/space between the through axle and the motor casing of only about 6 or 7mm clearance. Your BB design isn't unlike that of a CF BB where it is not like that of a unhindered normal BB.

Place a flat rule across your BB and measure the gap in mm to the bearing outer cup then measure the depth of the weld between the BB undserside, both of these measurements together I think will make fitting to tight or not achievable.

Reactions: Brobert99

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
BOTTOM BRACKETShimano SM-BB52, 68mm
This from Whytes site

I have converted the Whyte Malvern with the BBSHD unit - it`s powerful, it`s quiet, and you can programme it to suit you`re own riding style

No brainer

P1000781_lzn.jpg

Reactions: Brobert99

Brobert99

May 23, 2020
Thanks guys, looks like the Bafang may be the best option then.
@tommie what size of battery do you have on there and what kind of range do you get? I have toyed with bbs02 but not looked much into the bbshd, will take a look at it.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
That particular battery you see is a 48v/13ah Samsung celled item, have never drained it out but would guess at 35-55 miles range, all depends on your fitness, hills, weight, wind etc etc. ....also have a 48v/17.5aH from Jimmy at https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/ , highly recommended on here, btw don`t be tempted to buy a cheap battery from China, buy local.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Problems ahead :eek: by the pictures it does not look like a quick conversion with either of the mid drives,
the conversion above shows external cables so the frame is not the same:oops:
There is a chance it will foul the cables. and the stays clearance looks tight how many teeth on the chain wheel
As a general rule if under 73mm bb and a double or triple chain set its a quick fit
Cables exit the bottom of the bb problems you can over come by a external reroute

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
This one took 2 hours start to finish inc a test rideIMG_20200518_182708.jpgIMG_20200518_182947.jpgIMG_20200513_192538.jpg

This one has taken several weeks and o_O:rolleyes: almost had to admit defeat but now completed

Brobert99

May 23, 2020
Thanks Peter, I was afraid that may be the case.

It’s a 68mm BB with a 44t single narrow/wide chainring.

I am fairly sure the cables are sleeved all the way through the down tube and out the bottom bracket so it should be easy enough to remove the guide to help with clearance.

i am fairly comfortable with rerouting the cables if need be, but the chainstay issue concerns me more. It there a way to space the mid drive motor chain ring out to avoid the chainstay or install a different chainring to help with clearance?

Many thanks for your advice

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
I spaced out the chainring by roughly 1cm, not that it was touching the chainstay but more to give a better chainline to the cassette,
btw a 7/8spd cassette is advisable as you`ll get a stronger chain than your 11 spd item

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Spacers can be added to the chain wheel side you are lucky you have 5mm to play with the spacers a 42 should give you the clearance, but until its stripped and the motor offered up you will not know

Brobert99

May 23, 2020
Peter or Woosh will answer better but the issue is with the tsdz design and the gap/space between the through axle and the motor casing of only about 6 or 7mm clearance. Your BB design isn't unlike that of a CF BB where it is not like that of a unhindered normal BB.

Place a flat rule across your BB and measure the gap in mm to the bearing outer cup then measure the depth of the weld between the BB undserside, both of these measurements together I think will make fitting to tight or not achievable.
Hi Neal

I measured the distance from the BB underside to the cup and it is about 6mm. The depth from the weld to the cup is approx 8mm and the depth from the plastic cable guide to the cup is approx 12mm

From what I can gather online the tsdz has a clearance of 7mm so I reckon will be too tight. The BBS seems to have a clearance of around 12mm so hoping this should be OK if I remove the cable guide / possibly reroute the cables ?

thanks again for everyone’s advice

Brobert99

May 23, 2020
So i have decided to go for the BBS02 which i have ordered from PSW power and should hopefully be here in a few days. Decided to wait until i can confirm the motor will fit before ordering the battery.

I have been looking at this one on PSW power, and just wondering if any one has had any experience with it and if it will be suitable for the BBS02 or are they any other batteries i should consider.

Looking online, it seems eclipse, woosh etc are all out of stock and not wanting to take a chance on an Ali express battery

Thanks

Brobert99

May 23, 2020
Thought I would just update my post in case anyone else was looking to convert the same bike.

I went with the BBS02 750w 48v motor from PSWPower and a 48v 17.5Ah Panasonic NCR18650GA Tiger Shark battery from ebikebatteries.

After a bit of wrestling and gentle persuasion removing the bikes bottom bracket, the motor fitted almost perfectly, all I had to do was remove the plastic cable guide from the BB. The chain line is also fairly good and I can use all 11 rear gears without any issue. I may still update to a bling ring in the future for the narrow/wide arrangement (although not had any issues with the chain coming off yet)

The cable routing took a while as I was keen to keep them hidden as much as possible. I Have put the excess cables in a bag which I’ve Velcro strapped to the top tube temporarily, but going to purchase a phone holder bag and put them in here.

I made up my own version of the handle bob to mount the throttle on the drop bars using a small piece of 20mm upvc pipe and two cable ties. I have ordered a motor cut off switch from AliExpress so might tweak this a bit more once that arrives.

As for the kit itself, I am plesently surprised how powerful (or not) the motor can be. This is my first experience of an ebike so have nothing to compare it to but it handles inclines no problem at all. My only slight criticism is that I feel it could do with a slightly higher gear as once you reach about 35kph, it is harder to pedal any faster although this was the same prior to fitting the motor, it’s just that i can reach 35kph more often with the motor fitted.

I have added some photos of the build and thanks again to everyone for your advice.

Attachments