Will a pedelec work for me?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
So all of this begs a really stupid question. With a hub based bike such as the Wisper, with 'off road' enabled the bike under its own steam will reach say 18mph on the flat. Presumably if I put some effort it I can reduce it's current draw. If I put lots of effort in I could increase the speed above 19mph but as this is beyond the speed the motor was designed to run, would it start working against me or would it simply be less efficient?

BM
It is possible to ride over 20mph but it is a heavy bike and you don't forget it, downhill I have touched 40mph so it does roll OK. Riding at 18 mph on the flat with power on is a pleasant experience and I enjoy my 40 mile round trip each day.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
It is possible to ride over 20mph but it is a heavy bike and you don't forget it, downhill I have touched 40mph so it does roll OK. Riding at 18 mph on the flat with power on is a pleasant experience and I enjoy my 40 mile round trip each day.
If I get the chance I will try and test one this weekend. It is going to be 160 mile round trip which is a real pain. I am tempted to just order one but that would be foolish really. If I can average about 16 to 18 mph on the way to work then that would be fine. The route back is more uphill so I expect it to take a little longer.

I am working in London on Tuesday but don't think I will get enough time to go the the electric bike shop. This is a real pain in the @!*&.

It is good that somebody else has a long commute and is getting on well with the bike. Also good that you are getting reasonable speed with gravity on your side - everybody loves blasting down hills don't they:D

BM

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi BM

Both of these (and the Ezee's - dont discount them they are relly good bikes) can easily do the range and I think the speed. Flecc pointed out that instead of dropping from 9 mph to 15.5 mph, it would be from 12mph to 18.1 mph with the panasonic just from a cog change.

Thats what I have (18T), and I still never go below forth gear on my 22 mile round commute. But i can guarantee you will get upto speeds higher than that because of the bike itself (as I do - I overtake erveryone at aboout 21/24 mph), and if you were to use a 16T cog, I think that would be 13mph to 20 mph assisted, with a 25 mile range (based on what I am doing - but this could be early days for the Panaonc (2 year warrranty battery)

FYI - I have a Pro Connect, and I a doing my 22 mile round trip with assistance in 40 mins each way, day in day out, the same i did it by car.

I dont want to sound bias, but you will notice that everyone except the guru is biased toward their own bikes (a tidgy bit), those of us with more experience generally more balanced, hopefully :rolleyes: .

John

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
So all of this begs a really stupid question. With a hub based bike such as the Wisper, with 'off road' enabled the bike under its own steam will reach say 18mph on the flat. Presumably if I put some effort it I can reduce it's current draw. If I put lots of effort in I could increase the speed above 19mph but as this is beyond the speed the motor was designed to run, would it start working against me or would it simply be less efficient?

BM
Hi BM,

Near the top speed, the motor is running in a regime where it is very efficient, but the power it can deliver is very strongly dependent on the rpm. As the rpm goes up, the power delivered goes down, and this effect is what sets the top speed - unless you change the gearing or the voltage.

Therefore what happens is that the added pedal power will only increase the speed by a little. But the power taken from the battery will go down considerably, so it is still very much worth pedalling.

It is also still worth applying the motor power, as long as you have the battery capacity, as without it you would be going much slower.

If you're in Priddy, I'm not so far away, but the other direction to Bristol. I've got an eZee Torq and with liberal use of the motor I consume around 15 Whr per mile. That should help you calculate range.

If you are a reasonable cyclist already, one way you could approach it is this. Identify the worst hill you have to deal with. Find the fastest bike that will only just get you up it. Then you will have achieved the optimum set up for your situation on the flat.

Nick

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
OK,

So just tried a Wisper 905se in Southampton. Very impressed, not quite as heavy as I feared, looked well put together, rode well. Best not mention the brakes....

And I have decided to order a bike....

But not the Wisper. I will order a Trek Cytronex. The Wisper was fun but it just didn't work for me, too much like a moped, not bike like enough. And that is not a critism of the bike by any means, just don't think it is what I am looking for so please don't let me put anybody off.

I have started cycling every evening on my old bone shaker and I am covering 10 miles in about 40 minutes, that's about 15mph and that's with hills and windy weather etc. I am just struggling to extend the the distance at that pace at the moment but then I am very unfit at the moment. I think with some more regular cycling I will be able to push that out and with some help on the hills the 21 miles I need to commute will be just as fast, if not faster on the Cytonex than on the Wisper. I don't think I need or want assitance on the flat (unless there is a really strong headwind). Maybe I will need a second battery, maybe not - I think I will try with jsut the one to start with and see how I get on. I will recharge it at work.

I think with the Wisper it will help me to be lazy while the Trek will encourage me to work up my fitness level and try to shave time off my commute :D

Still all fresh in my head but I think I have a plan, well at the moment anyway.

Thankyou for all the good advice and I will surely let you know where I put my money.

Cheers, BM.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi BM

You seem to be narrowing down, nice one. I would just add that if you get the chance, 'try before you buy', it does make a difference.

Just going back to your post...

I plan to use the bike to commute 21 miles each way :eek:
I can recharge at work.
I live on a reasonably hilly area - the commute will be from the Mendip hills to Bath and back again. The roure will take me from almnost sea level to about 290 meters :(
I don't mind putting some effort in but I am not too fit at the moment and 21 miles is too much unassisted - especially up all the hills to contemplate on a reguar basis.
The steepest hill probably no more than a 1 in 8.

I know the real answer is to try them!
The Cytronex will always require you to put a lot of effort in, every single day, whether you want to or not (and I have a lot of days when I dont want to put effort in), and it wont be as forgiving if you stick heavy panniers on there as its design is as a 'light' electric bike, not a utility bike and not a long distance commuter/touring bike (and I would argue that your 20+ each way meaning possibly 2 batteries each way on bad weather days - thats a lot of recharging :( ).

Just trying to make you sure about how your going to spend that hard earned dough, the bike must do what you need it for above all. you dont want to spend that sort of cash on something that becomes a leisure bike when you need it for your commute.

Or have your priorities changed, are you a stronger cyclist than you thought / do you not mind carrying 2 batteries / are you ony planning to ride on good weather days / can you work in what you cycle in so no need for panniers?

John

Last edited:

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Hi BM,
just to say that since aquiring my Cytronex Trek I have definitely made an improvement on my fitness. My personal opinion is that using this bike draws one into giving more effort to the ride, as you have concluded. Maybe it could be used more "moped like" over flat terrain but around here I find, over time, I'm using proportionately more leg power and leaving the leccy to help me on the more challenging bits of my commute.

I'm now at the stage of feeling deprived if I don't go for ride every day!

The beauty of this bike is that it's light enough and free wheeling enough to use it as a normal bike, (and looks like one.) when you want it to.

For my purposes, my original choice of bike was a Whisper, but at 54 years old I thought I would have one more go at getting fit again. If I had a Whisper it would be too much of a temptation to sit back and let that big battery do all the work.

All the best
mike

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Hi BM,

just read Johns post after I sent mine and I must agree with his wise comments, especially to try before you buy.

I only meant to state my own experience, I would never wish to influence anyone into making a wrong choice of bike.

All the best
Mike

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I'm now at the stage of feeling deprived if I don't go for ride every day!
I understand this feeling, its wonderful. When I lose this and it becomes a chore, I use the car for a few days, that sets me right. :D

The beauty of this bike is that it's light enough and free wheeling enough to use it as a normal bike, (and looks like one.) when you want it to.
Yes its fits its niche very very well, its a great bike.

If I had a Whisper it would be too much of a temptation to sit back and let that big battery do all the work.
Yes, but you would have the choice which on a commute in spring/autumn/winter has to be considered as a bonus. I too dont have that option on mine either. With the Panasonic you always have to pedal, but it assists in every gear (a different approach) and has a long range.

John

Last edited:

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Fair comments John, I've yet to experience the poorer seasons. I'm hoping that pure determination and dedication will get me through! :D

All the best
Mike

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi all,

All good comments and I will 'try before I buy'.

The Wisper is a cracking bike and I feel it is definately one of the more compelling options in the more traditional ebike arena. I think riding it with just throttle brought home how easy it would be for me to be lazy. I can imagine on a winters day it would be the best option with lashing rain and high winds. However, I suspect I would just jump in the car on those days anyway.

My plan at the moment is to get a bit fitter on my current pushie by going out each day and try a run into the office soon. I think if I can make it into the office and back at a reasonable rate on my current bike then the Cytronex makes sense. The idea of turning on the juice on the hard bits make sense. Certainly on my way to work I think I would be over the assist speed most of the time anyway so a good freewheeling bike is ideal. There are a couple of short hills but nothing too bad - I doubt I would use the assist for more than a about 5 miles of the route. The route back is a bit more brutal but I guess I am looking at it as a challenge, not as an obstacle.

The thing that put me off the Wisper (and it is not a fault of the bike really) was that it was very hard to pedle unassisted and not a pleasant experience. On my current bike I love the sections where I can put my head down and wind up the pedles in top gear and get the bike really moving under my own steam. I would never get the chance to do this on the Wisper. The commute needs to be fun, otherwise I would be too tempted to just jump into my car. I a have a convertable v8 Mustang that is a blast to drive on a nice sunny day, the bike needs to be compete with that and the Wisper just does not cut the mustard.

I currently struggle up the hills due to a lack of fitness, my legs really start to burn but that is good, it means I am doing some work. A bit more fitness on my part and a helping hand is all I need I think? Part of the fun for me will be seeing if I can shave time off my commute as I get fitter.

So, before laying down any cash I will simply try and use the tools I have already got, my old bike and my old legs and see how far they will take me.

The whole ebike think is really confussing. The bikes are so different and suitable for different needs. Selecting the right bike is not easy. They have clearly come on a long way, the Wisper is a clear indication of that.

The Cytronex concept is certainly suitable for a different sort of user to the regular ebike users. It is probably not the right choice for somebody who simply wants transport, it is clearly for somebody who wants the full cycling experience but needs a helping hand to remove some of the less pleasant bits. Neither model is right or wrong, better or worse etc etc. They are simply different.

As a final thought, if I needed to cycle every day I might lean more towards the Wisper. As a more functional and utilitarian bike (this is a compliment by the way - I personaly like utilitarian most of the time) I don't think the Cytronex comes close. If you like the Wisper is my diesel Skoda Octavia estate. The Cytronex is my v8 Mustang.

It is all reasonably clear in my head now, probably means I will do a u-turn in a week and need to eat my words.....

Cheers, BM.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wise words BM, and you've summed up the market choices perfectly, so it's very unlikely you'd need to eat your words.