Wind noise

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hi all. I have just got a new bike helmet and the noise from the wind is deafening
Probably from your strap sitting a little bit away from the side of your head.
I made something from old Fleece fabric I had kicking around ( a neck warmer), I cut 2 squares about 3". I wraped them around the strap just in front of my ears, initially held in place with a safety pin but once I knew they worked I sew'd them on.
On another helmet the strap sits against my head and there's no noise, but for the winter, I did put a trianglula pice of fleece between the two side straps. This helps keep my ears warm :) with only a small reduction in sound.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is a major problem in motorcycle helmets with their higher speeds, so to avoid permanent ear damage the riders use earplugs.

You could try a pair of those, they don't cost much, and some good ones still let through enough external sound for safety.

When on my motorbike I used cheap light sponge rubber ones that stopped the wind buffeting on the eardrum that causes the noise but still let through plenty of normal sounds.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Expensive but silent! Is it the visor improving aerodynamics???
Casco_Roadster-TC_White_Silver_Visier_3607.jpg

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Get an Aldi snowboarding/ski helmet. They have ear covers, which keep them warm in the winter and are quiet at all times. They have the added benefits of giving more protection and they don't make you look like a twat. If you look like a twat without a helmet, they can make you look cool too:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/adult's-silver-ski-helmet-l-xl/p/093801100140702
I have used one of these for 3 winters now and they are excellent.
They have little pockets in the earflaps too in case you want to use headphones.

Reactions: Mister-E

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A lot of manufacturers say their helmets should not be worn with anything underneath.

Make of that what you will, but cheapo ear plugs are the risk-free option.

Mister-E

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2016
Coventry
Get an Aldi snowboarding/ski helmet.
I was a little dubious when I first saw this (never having heard of this usage before), but I went ahead and ordered one, which has now arrived, so will be looking forward to trying it out properly on the ride to work tomorrow morning.
I'm also hoping it will make me look cool :cool:

Thanks d8veh (and Kinninvie) for the recommendation!

• Useful
Reactions: robdon and IR772

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Probably from your strap sitting a little bit away from the side of your head.
I made something from old Fleece fabric I had kicking around ( a neck warmer), I cut 2 squares about 3". I wraped them around the strap just in front of my ears, initially held in place with a safety pin but once I knew they worked I sew'd them on.
On another helmet the strap sits against my head and there's no noise, but for the winter, I did put a trianglula pice of fleece between the two side straps. This helps keep my ears warm :) with only a small reduction in sound.
This should work and is cheaper than buying the same thing :)
http://www.cat-ears.com/how-they-work