Windsor battery query

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
I have got my new NiMH (Windsor) battery & unsoldered the connections as instructed in Re-celling an NiMH Battery, but there is a fuse which is not mentioned in the instructions,
does it matter whether this fuse is left in place or should I unsolder it?
See the attached photo.

Derrick - Llanberiswindsor battery2.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Derick

You only need the cellpack of 20 cells from the Windsor battery, all other Windsor parts are scrapped, fuse, thermistor, wires etc.

Then you add the cellpack to the Giant battery, using all the original Giant components exactly as described, this replacing the Giant cellpack of 20 cells. The metal meter strip has to be transferred from the old Giant pack to the new Powacycle pack as described of course. It's only the 20 cells and the card insulation that gets swapped.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Everyone ducks out of it Derrick. It looks superficially good, but has a bad name for a number of things online. Corrosion and waterproofing are problematic, and that tight chain turn around a high revving nylon idler is very suspect, a poor application for nylon. One person who did buy a kit found it had wholly inadequate instructions, wrong colour coded wires, and difficulty in getting satisfactory answers to sort it out. Russ, our forum founder, owned a previous Cyclone bike at one time and wasn't impressed at all.

One US dealer openly posts that he won't supply Cyclone motors any more because of the problems.

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
More on the Windsor / Lafree battery re-celling

The fuse (see photo) has to be left in place, or a link soldered in place of it otherwise the charger can't charge! I discovered this first hand, there is enough room for the fuse in the Lafree case if you don't want to take it off, you would then have 3 fuses instead of 2.

Derrick - Llanberis

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you've misunderstood Derick. Of course you can leave this if wanted instead of the original Giant one, but it's not the right way to do things. Best practice is to swap only the cellpack of 20 cells, using all of the original Giant components, including it's fuse, and it's that which I intend. The components with the Powacycle battery are designed for the usage of the Powacycle bike and not matched to the Giant one. I have in fact made that clear in the instructions on my website, quoted below:

"Basically, it's just the cell pack block of cells that get changed, and any sensors, additional terminal strips with measuring functions etc, must be transferred to the new cellpack."

In other words, don't use any of the Powacycle parts except the 20 cell pack.