windy weather

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes I've been out each day currently, yesterday was the worst for wind strength, but fortunately it was first headwind, then return tail wind for most of the trip.

I sometimes get strong crosswinds on the top of the Downs and have never found them impossible to cope with, but it's worse on a bike than on a motorbike running at higher speeds.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I was cycling home last night quite happily in a well built up area with the wind swirling around, then all of a sudden there was a gap in the buildings for a small lane. As I passed through I was nearly knocked off my bike by the wind as it funnelled through the lane and on to the main road. I was travelling around 18mph and was thrown about 2-3 feet into the road, luckily nothing was coming behind me! I was fine but it did make me a lot more aware of future breaks in the buildings!!

A warning to all to take care!

FrankC

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
Windy today

Cycling to work this morning it took 1 hour 28 minutes to cover 18.7 miles (about 12.5 mph) into a 15-20 mph headwind with 40-50 mph gusts. Also mostly climbing on my way to work. My battery was exhausted just as I arrived at work - the worst return I have had. Coming home - tailwind :) - 1 hour 6 minutes to get home at average speed of 17 mph and the battery only 1/3rd used.

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
nope

I take my charger with me at the moment, but I am still undecided as to whether or not to buy a charger to leave at work or a second battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I take my charger with me at the moment, but I am still undecided as to whether or not to buy a charger to leave at work or a second battery.
I can see why you are undecided. On your mileage it's finely balanced either way. I think I'd just tilt on the side of a second charger, since it's cheaper to buy and avoids carrying extra weight every trip. Also having to charge two batteries at home would be very time consuming on one charger.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
citrus that is an impressive commute. are you doing that regardless of weather conditions? have you changed the sprocket for slightly higher speed?
:)

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

they are not cheap, i paid £75 for my spare quando battery charger but what a difference it makes, not having to check every time i go out to g/f's that i am carrying my charger, the peace of mind alone is well worth it ten times over, plus one less item to carry and always the thought in my mind of risk of damage to it...i dont like spending what i thik is a awful lot just for a charger but i say its DEFNATLY worth it, ;)

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
I can see why you are undecided. On your mileage it's finely balanced either way. I think I'd just tilt on the side of a second charger, since it's cheaper to buy and avoids carrying extra weight every trip. Also having to charge two batteries at home would be very time consuming on one charger.
I have pretty much come to the same conclusion, but I can't help feeling that outside of my commute to work a second battery would be very useful too (e.g the 55 mile cycle to St. Andrews where my father lives). Very expensive option though for those sort of one off type situations. I would probably still be better on my motorbike for that journey.

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
citrus that is an impressive commute. are you doing that regardless of weather conditions? have you changed the sprocket for slightly higher speed?
:)
I have been building-up to this commute since I got the Agattu at Christmas time. I had a couple of dry runs into work and back on the weekends to see if I could cope okay, and it was fine. I decide as soon as the nights were lighter I would start commuting (3 times a week, as I work at two other sites on the other days that are even further away).

I purchased a good set of panniers that don't seen to leak and carry spare tubes, tool kit, puncture repair etc. and my work clothes. I wear Berghaus waterproofs (a cycling jacket and and gortex over-trousers - bone dry in the wet but expensive kit).

I did change my sprocket to an 18T and this suits me much better. I only use 5th 6th and 7th gear most of the time, and have never had to use 1st. 3rd and 4th get used on very steep hills or when I feel lazy. The bike now assists upto about 19 mph (I think - flecc would probably know for sure). Battery usually lasts for 28 - 30 miles under normal useage. The best I have had is 35 and the worst was the other day - 18.7 (the weather was pretty horrendous though). Top speed so far has been 34.8 mph and the bike was still stable although I wouldn't not have liked to stop quickly.

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

they are not cheap, i paid £75 for my spare quando battery charger but what a difference it makes, not having to check every time i go out to g/f's that i am carrying my charger, the peace of mind alone is well worth it ten times over, plus one less item to carry and always the thought in my mind of risk of damage to it...i dont like spending what i thik is a awful lot just for a charger but i say its DEFNATLY worth it, ;)

I agree. And the Agattu charger is £125, but I think I will be getting it just for the sheer convenience.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
thanks for those details citrus. i had pretty much the same commitment to get a kalkhoff for commuting. however, although i ordered i suddenley became classified as "between jobs". i got a refund as i may need that cash for another scooter if i have to travel further.

and yes we have had alot of windy days this winter in fife.
hopefully we will get a long dry quiet run of weather this spring to compensate :)

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
How fast are you going on level ground Citrus?

Which power setting do you use ?

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
How fast are you going on level ground Citrus?

Which power setting do you use ?
I was hoping that Citrus could share his experiences with gearing an agattu for speed.

The motor itself should hopefully not have a problem delivering power over longer periodes of time.

What is the real, not nominal, power of the Panasonic unit?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What is the real, not nominal, power of the Panasonic unit?
Panasonic always quoted 390 watts peak for the unit on 24 volts NiMh, and I think that was possibly the peak consumption rather than net power. If so, net power would be about 330 watts.

The current unit is on 26 volts Li-ion, and using the same motor that would give about 420 watts, but if that's the gross figure, about 360 watts net.

Any of those are adequate for a drive through gears bike.

Some users have fitted the Xtracycle rear extension to the Lafree old type Panasonic bikes, together with SRAM DualDrives giving a huge range of gearing choices. William Morrison who commutes into Los Angeles daily on one of these reports using speeds well in excess of 20 mph with motor drive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you have a link to William Morrisons experiences?
No, it was private emails some while ago Erik, arising from my Lafree Twist website contact point. I have published a photo of his bike in here previously, with the Xtracycle extension but before he fitted the DualDrive, He later emailed me reporting that he was delighted with the gear range and performance with the DualDrive fitted, but I suspect from his accounts that he is quite a strong cyclist, as one might guess with a daily commuter.

Last edited: