Winnats pass

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi ,ive got that uphill urge coming on again ,lol ,i had such great fun climbing the Great Orme ,but like my friend said ,why dont we go for a real challenge ,and Winnats pass was mentioned ,in Castleton in Derbyshire Peak District ,and after reading up about it
i am not sure if i have the Peddle power ,even though i am quite sure the Tonaro was built for this and good use of the Gears really does make light work of steep hills ,although a 1 in 5 up the Winnats pass ,seems a hell of a challenge ,just wondering has anyone had a go ,and how did they go on . very best wishes Brian.:)

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Hi Brian, I've not done Winnats Pass but I have done some mountain biking in the Hope valley and it is seriously beautiful round there. If you can combine your trip with more of the valley and maybe skirting round Ladybower Res. you won't be disappointed. None of the hills round there are more than about 500m / 1500 feet so although it can be steep it's never long and drawn out.

If you want to plan some real off road routes in that area to challenge your Tonaro then you could take a look at "Peak District Mountain Biking - Dark Peak Trails" by Jon Barton (preview available on Amazon) which has loads of off-road rides round the area in question. I've tried one of the Hope Valley rides out of his other book "White Peak Mountain Biking - The Pure Trails" which is more for the South Peaks and although it was gruelling it had a bit of everything which really put my MTB skills to the test.

Good luck if you decide to do it, and may the weather be on your side!

Last edited:

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi Brian, I've not done Winnats Pass but I have done some mountain biking in the Hope valley and it is seriously beautiful round there. If you can combine your trip with more of the valley and maybe skirting round Ladybower Res. you won't be disappointed. None of the hills round there are more than about 500m / 1500 feet so although it can be steep it's never long and drawn out.

If you want to plan some real off road routes in that area to challenge your Tonaro then you could take a look at "Peak District Mountain Biking - Dark Peak Trails" by Jon Barton (preview available on Amazon) which has loads of off-road rides round the area in question. I've tried one of the Hope Valley rides out of his other book "White Peak Mountain Biking - The Pure Trails" which is more for the South Peaks and although it was gruelling it had a bit of everything which really put my MTB skills to the test.

Good luck if you decide to do it, and may the weather be on your side!
Hi and thanks very much ,for your insight at what to expect ,it sounds exciting ,but the gruellng bits making me think lol like you say its beautiful when you start climbing up some of the hills ,i will certainly go and read the Peak district mountain biking ,and take the weather in to account as i have left it a little late ,maybe one for the future ,but its dreams that keep us going ,thanks very much to you my friend Brian.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Being a local hill to me I used to ride up it now and again without any assistance, never got round to trying it on an electric bike yet, but it should be pretty easy with a little electric boost.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Being a local hill to me I used to ride up it now and again without any assistance, never got round to trying it on an electric bike yet, but it should be pretty easy with a little electric boost.
Lol easy for you maybe ,but still good to know ,Which in this country is the hardest ride on a cycle ,best wishes Brian.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I shall be camped at ashbourne next week to do the Tissington trail and the others so fingers crossed for ok weather. Pity it wont be on the Tonaro...but that is currently in the med still due southampton next week. So I will have to see how far i can push my windsor.
Really looking forward to it , before visiting the cycle show and then back to the south west and hopefully taking that Tonaro Esprit for a good test ride.

Lynda

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Lol easy for you maybe ,but still good to know ,Which in this country is the hardest ride on a cycle ,best wishes Brian.
Rosedale chimney is pretty steep, however the passes in the lakes take some beating.