winter cycleing

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
hi

thinking of trying to get rid of one of our two cars.this would mean me using my bike for work all year round.public transport out as the shift pattern i work is out of bus hours and taxis for those really bad days would be expensive.so is it possible or practable to cycle all year wind,rain should be ok with good water proofs but what about frost or snow?

does anyone cycle in all conditions and how do you get on.

allen p

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Depends where you live, if your roads are gritted regularly, then you shouldn't have a problem as long as you wrap up warm enough, and bung on a decent set of winter tyres. On saying that, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there were only a couple of days last winter that it became impossible as the local roads were covered in sheet ice.

It also depends on your personal tollerance of horizontal snow etc. :D .

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
hi
sounds like suck it and see.

only one way to find out cycle this winter sell the car next spring!

allen p

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
There's a bit about Canadian cycle commuters here:

Daily Peloton - Pro Cycling News

Leaving aside the extremes of temperature, I find the biggest problem with our winter cold is the clothing. If you wear something warm, you sweat like crazy when you're working hard, wear something thinner and you freeze on downhill stretches.

The e-bike saves a lot of the problem, though, since you can ease up on the effort and so go for the warmer stuff. I find Goretex the best all round material but it's dear and can't fully solve the problem anyway.

I detest riding in snow personally. In London it's very dangerous as cars slide around and in the country it's hard to stay on the bike and hard work when you do.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I enjoy riding in snow and ice with decent tyres on, riding past all the stuck cars and buses. Don't wait for the snow to order the tyres and you'll be OK. I've only got cheap kit but I'm almost never cold, the wind and rain are worse to ride in, I do about 35 miles a day and it looks great when I can get in but people who live closer can't.
So far I've tried Schwalbe snow & ice tyres and Continental winters, both are a bit lacking on ice so I'm trying Marathon winters this year. I've only fallen off once on winter tyres and that was in deep slush when the tread got clogged up.

tagray

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2007
Hi, I cycle all year on my cytronex with standard schwalbe marathons. They are OK if you keep your eyes peeled for likely bad road conditions. I haven't come off in snow or ice yet - so far its always been in good conditions and usually when I haven't paid attention to road hazards! Sheffield is not renowned for gritting the roads so I do occasionally have to cycle on very snowy roads to the nearest bus route which they do grit. Even last winter I only dipped out and took the car one day when the weather forecast was atrocious (and wrong - I would not have had any problems as it turned out). The only bike problems were the grit shredding the brake blocks and the rims so both need replacing, and once when the electronics gave up, probably due to constant immersion in frozen slush under the bicycle and not drying out at night in my unheated garage. Mark has lifted the controller above the crankcase to see if that is better, it's less elegant but should be better protected from the slush.

I don't use goretex, just wear a base layer and breathable jacket down to about 2 deg C or a water resistant fleece when the temperature goes below zero. I have some climbing leggings I use when its really cold otherwise just some standard outdoor trousers with standard (cheap!) waterproof trousers when it rains or snows (cheaper when you rip them to bits if you come off!). Gloves - I use climbing gloves (trekmates) with liners when it goes below freezing.

My commute is 8 miles - usually 30-35 minutes - sufficiently short not to be a real pain when it is snowing and if it is really cold I just cut the power and on Sheffield's hills I warm up in no time!

One thing - it is, of course, usually dark, but the front light on the cytronex (60 lux cyo) is brilliant and shows road conditions well, even when the street lights are out.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
hi
sounds like suck it and see.

only one way to find out cycle this winter sell the car next spring!

allen p
Ditch the car before the Winter, otherwise you will wimp out! Yeah you will :- fall off, get soaked, be frozen etc. etc..... I'm going to buy another car.. only joking:) I love me ebike even in the Winter, and the cycle paths are empty.. which is nice!

Griz

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I cycle all year round in London. I have "wimped out" in the past when there was a lot of ice and snow on the ground, but then I found public transport atrocious on those days. So now I just cycle extremely carefully under icy conditions. I really must get organised with winter tyres this year though.

Cycling while it is snowing can be tricky for me as it quickly fogs up my glasses!

The main problem is not with bike handling or cold (buy good gear), but drivers being unable to control there vehicles and with pedestrians taking even less care than normal when crossing roads.

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
the other alternative is to take the car off the road between march and nov. then put back on for winter if it gets too bad!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I cycle all year round in London. I have "wimped out" in the past when there was a lot of ice and snow on the ground, but then I found public transport atrocious on those days. So now I just cycle extremely carefully under icy conditions. I really must get organised with winter tyres this year though.

Cycling while it is snowing can be tricky for me as it quickly fogs up my glasses!

The main problem is not with bike handling or cold (buy good gear), but drivers being unable to control there vehicles and with pedestrians taking even less care than normal when crossing roads.
I think I found pedestrians flat on their backs more awkward to avoid than flailing buses, with winter tyres I can easily ride places I wouldn't be able to walk. Still need to take care though and a throttle really helps as pedaling can be enough to lose traction.