Winter Ride

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi i am thinking of selling my very small Romahome which i dont realy use very often since buying a conversion kit for my Boardman Hybrid sports bike and was thinking how many on this forum actualy use there bikes as the only source of daily travel and manage to get through the winter on there E/Bikes .

D

Deleted member 4366

Mine's not my only transport because I still need the car for the few long journeys I have to do each year, but I use my bike almost exclusively for any journey less than 15 miles. At the moment, I have an infected leg and can hardly walk, let alone cycle, so I had to use the car today. Only after I got half-way to my destination did I realise my mistake. The pressure on the clutch pedal was really painful, so I wished that I'd used my bike on throttle only, which is what I'll do tomorrow.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Mine's not my only transport because I still need the car for the few long journeys I have to do each year, but I use my bike almost exclusively for any journey less than 15 miles. At the moment, I have an infected leg and can hardly walk, let alone cycle, so I had to use the car today. Only after I got half-way to my destination did I realise my mistake. The pressure on the clutch pedal was really painful, so I wished that I'd used my bike on throttle only, which is what I'll do tomorrow.
Hi sorry about your leg,i bet thats realy painful ,i am not being nosey but is the infection from a cycle accident only i am diabetic and realy try to be careful from bad cuts to my legs whilst using my bike ,but good to see you use your bike most of the time ,Brian.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i cycle all year round with no problems if you are going to cycle through the winter months then i would strongly advise buying a set of winter marathon plus tyres to help you in icy conditions

In the past coming off on black is no fun and the marathon winter do keep you up right on the ice from past experience it can be expensive you coming off on black ice

My marathon winters cost me about £50 for the tyres not bad really to keep me riding through the cold weather and not have to worry about the ice

i would strongly recommend getting some replacement winter studs "Schwable" because you will lose studs of course they will need replacing just check after every ride that all your studs are in your tyre

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
i cycle all year round with no problems if you are going to cycle through the winter months then i would strongly advise buying a set of winter marathon plus tyres to help you in icy conditions

In the past coming off on black is no fun and the marathon winter do keep you up right on the ice from past experience it can be expensive you coming off on black ice

My marathon winters cost me about £50 for the tyres not bad really to keep me riding through the cold weather and not have to worry about the ice

i would strongly recommend getting some replacement winter studs "Schwable" because you will lose studs of course they will need replacing just check after every ride that all your studs are in your tyre
Hi and thanks for the reply and the advice ,i already have the
marathon plus tyres which are brilliant but i am sure i paid a lot more than £50 and i have to ask what are the studs ,or i had better check my tyres again but sure they are Schwable"
marathon plus tyres,thanks again

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hi and thanks for the reply and the advice ,i already have the
marathon plus tyres which are brilliant but i am sure i paid a lot more than £50 and i have to ask what are the studs ,or i had better check my tyres again but sure they are Schwable"
marathon plus tyres,thanks again
There is two types of marathon types you can get normal marathon tyres and you can marathon winter tyres with studs in the tyre to cope with ice
when riding in the winter type this is strongly advised because of the ice around because you cannot see black ice and before you blink your eyes
your nose is touching the tarmac.

Well if you think £50 is a lot of money for the tyres put it like this a couple of winters ago i came off down a road quite bad and it cost me £200 to fix my ebike and put it back in good working in order plus i was without a bike for 3 weeks because the shop was to busy to do my work for me.

During the process of this happened i also broke a bone in my wrist called the scaphoid which resulted me haven 9 weeks of plaster which
also meant every time i had to shower i had to use a shopping bag to
put over it to keep it dry to stop it getting wet all the time when i was
showering.

Since breaking my scaphoid bone in my wrist my hand is a lot more weaker and i am unable to open car doors and also pick heavy objects
up because my wrist is to weak to be able to do this now i have tried
strengthing my wrist in severals no of these have worked at all and i'am pretty stuck with it

The best feeling in the world is when you have your plaster off because you have had it plastered for 9 weeks and believe me the times does go slow and you are unable to do nothing.

Riding a bike is definitely out of the question getting dressed in the morning was a struggle doing shoe laces was impossible i had to buy
some velcro shoes so i was able to do my shoes myself

When it came to food time i had to have bought sandwiches and also my parents would have to cut half my food up for me because i could only use a fork in one hand i was unable to use a knife because i couldn't hold it with the plaster stopping my fingers from moving

This all happened because i was riding in the icy conditions which i should of been using a Schwalbe marathon winter tyre i thought at
the time i won't need them but when this happened i bought them straight away to stop me from coming off in the ice

Since i have been using the Schwalbe marathon winter types it makes cycling in the winter months a lot more safer save haven these accidents
and of course if you are on a busy road and do slip on black ice you could easy go underneath a car and anything could happen.

i have been on loads of ice since and there is no problem at all riding on ice cuts the ice brilliant and grips the road perfectly

i would much prefer a bill for £50 for tyres every couple of winters then £200 to fix my bike

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-winter-performance-rigid-road-tyre/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360394020&kpid=5360394020&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sEtL7Z0aa_dc|pcrid|67090789502|pkw||pmt||prd|5360394020uk

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Bear in mind that if you have new snow over ice even studs can find it difficult to cope, when the top layer slides over the bottom layer you can still be in trouble. I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware that studs don't cope with all conditions well and are no better than normal soft, aggressive mtb tyres in slush and fresh snow.
As Mac says a little experience goes a long way.
Ps i commuted for years on an unpowered MTB all year round regardless of weather and do have experience of riding in the Alps in winter. I always found off road tracks where people had been walking in soft slushy snow that then froze to be the trickiest. YMMV

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
There is two types of marathon types you can get normal marathon tyres and you can marathon winter tyres with studs in the tyre to cope with ice
when riding in the winter type this is strongly advised because of the ice around because you cannot see black ice and before you blink your eyes
your nose is touching the tarmac.

Well if you think £50 is a lot of money for the tyres put it like this a couple of winters ago i came off down a road quite bad and it cost me £200 to fix my ebike and put it back in good working in order plus i was without a bike for 3 weeks because the shop was to busy to do my work for me.

During the process of this happened i also broke a bone in my wrist called the scaphoid which resulted me haven 9 weeks of plaster which
also meant every time i had to shower i had to use a shopping bag to
put over it to keep it dry to stop it getting wet all the time when i was
showering.

Since breaking my scaphoid bone in my wrist my hand is a lot more weaker and i am unable to open car doors and also pick heavy objects
up because my wrist is to weak to be able to do this now i have tried
strengthing my wrist in severals no of these have worked at all and i'am pretty stuck with it

The best feeling in the world is when you have your plaster off because you have had it plastered for 9 weeks and believe me the times does go slow and you are unable to do nothing.

Riding a bike is definitely out of the question getting dressed in the morning was a struggle doing shoe laces was impossible i had to buy
some velcro shoes so i was able to do my shoes myself

When it came to food time i had to have bought sandwiches and also my parents would have to cut half my food up for me because i could only use a fork in one hand i was unable to use a knife because i couldn't hold it with the plaster stopping my fingers from moving

This all happened because i was riding in the icy conditions which i should of been using a Schwalbe marathon winter tyre i thought at
the time i won't need them but when this happened i bought them straight away to stop me from coming off in the ice

Since i have been using the winter types it makes cycling in the winter months a lot more safer save haven these accidents
and of course if you are on a busy road and do slip on black ice you could easy go underneath a car and anything could happen.

i have been on loads of ice since and there is no problem at all riding on ice cuts the ice brilliant and grips the road perfectly

i would much prefer a bill for £50 for tyres every couple of winters then £200 to fix my bike

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-winter-performance-rigid-road-tyre/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360394020&kpid=5360394020&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sEtL7Z0aa_dc|pcrid|67090789502|pkw||pmt||prd|5360394020uk
Hi point taken my friend and i am sorry about your aweful ordeal ,i do hope you are on the mend and i will be buying the better tyres as soon as winter starts setting in
i have to admit i thought my Schwalbe marathon plus tyres would ptotect me over the winter so that was foolish on my part and i am grateful for your words so many thanks ,best wishes Brian.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Bear in mind that if you have new snow over ice even studs can find it difficult to cope, when the top layer slides over the bottom layer you can still be in trouble. I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware that studs don't cope with all conditions well and are no better than normal soft, aggressive mtb tyres in slush and fresh snow.
As Mac says a little experience goes a long way.
Ps i commuted for years on an unpowered MTB all year round regardless of weather and do have experience of riding in the Alps in winter. I always found off road tracks where people had been walking in soft slushy snow that then froze to be the trickiest. YMMV
Hi have to admit i have very little experience of riding ln the winter months and the little i have done was on the canal toe path thats about 3 mile to where i work and was done at snails pace but now you have me wondering about the front wheel hub conversion i choose to have which on the canal gravel is very apt to having the wheel loose its grip if not careful how much power i apply ,but i do like the front wheel powered for many reasons ,but still some thing to think about ,thanks again best wishes Brian.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hi point taken my friend and i am sorry about your aweful ordeal ,i do hope you are on the mend and i will be buying the better tyres as soon as winter starts setting in
i have to admit i thought my Schwalbe marathon plus tyres would ptotect me over the winter so that was foolish on my part and i am grateful for your words so many thanks ,best wishes Brian.
i would buy a spare pair of winter wheels and just use winter tyres on them ones and have a summer set and of course there is no point ruining a good set of wheels during the winter months when they could be even salt on the road in places.

When the winter comes all you have to drop the wheels out and then put your winter set on and you are up and running in a couple of minutes which is not a long time at all really.

This method works perfect for me who depending on a bike all the time and it my only means of transport to get anywhere when i need to so
it a great solution when it icy conditions means i can still commute to places if i need too.

Some times riding through the winter months when it is not bad conditions you don't need the winter tyre on because it not icy so
you can revert back to your other type and have no problems.

We never know what the weather is going to throw at us but it better to be prepared then not to be prepared at all.

They always say if the temperature is 4 degrees that is when ice can start to appear so i always check the temperature before i ride so i know if to put the marathon winters on

If you are going to buy the Schwalbe marathron winter types just makes sure you keep the tyre pressure at 75 psi Schwalbe have recommend to me to use this pressure and i have been told it the best pressure for grip for handling icy conditions too.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi sorry about your leg,i bet thats realy painful ,i am not being nosey but is the infection from a cycle accident only i am diabetic and realy try to be careful from bad cuts to my legs whilst using my bike ,but good to see you use your bike most of the time ,Brian.
Most likely, it's come from an insect or spider bite but feels like a fracture so could be a stress fracture from cycling. I pedal hard on my road bike! It was OK when I went to bed, and the first time I knew about it was when I got up the next morning. Whatever it is, it's improving a bit each day and the penicillin will clear up any other infections I have. See the bite mark near my little toe. I normally wear open sandals all the time or bare feet.

20170527_140423.jpg

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Most likely, it's come from an insect or spider bite but feels like a fracture so could be a stress fracture from cycling. I pedal hard on my road bike! It was OK when I went to bed, and the first time I knew about it was when I got up the next morning. Whatever it is, it's improving a bit each day and the penicillin will clear up any other infections I have. See the bite mark near my little toe. I normally wear open sandals all the time or bare feet.

View attachment 19501
Hey that looks painful but on the way hopfuly to a full recovery ,take care Brian.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
i would buy a spare pair of winter wheels and just use winter tyres on them ones and have a summer set and of course there is no point ruining a good set of wheels during the winter months when they could be even salt on the road in places.

When the winter comes all you have to drop the wheels out and then put your winter set on and you are up and running in a couple of minutes which is not a long time at all really.

This method works perfect for me who depending on a bike all the time and it my only means of transport to get anywhere when i need to so
it a great solution when it icy conditions means i can still commute to places if i need too.

Some times riding through the winter months when it is not bad conditions you don't need the winter tyre on because it not icy so
you can revert back to your other type and have no problems.

We never know what the weather is going to throw at us but it better to be prepared then not to be prepared at all.

They always say if the temperature is 4 degrees that is when ice can start to appear so i always check the temperature before i ride so i know if to put the marathon winters on

If you are going to buy the Schwalbe marathron winter types just makes sure you keep the tyre pressure at 75 psi Schwalbe have recommend to me to use this pressure and i have been told it the best pressure for grip for handling icy conditions too.
Thanks again my friend and i will be sure to take your advice
when the winter is near,best wishes Brian.