Winter Riding

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'd be interested in hearing which tyres you use for winter riding. I have Marathon plus ones installed but thinking about changing them for the winter. I wont cycle in icy weather but perhaps cold, wet, occasional snowy urban commutes.
For off road my bike came with rocket rons which were fine but when I needed a rear replacement I fitted an MP mtb tyre which didn't give any confidence at all on anything other than a dry trail. Wouldn't have another for off road.

Reactions: bfuk

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Plus you would need a power take of point. Ok on a self build but not on shop bought
My thinking here was that manufacturers would either start fitting heated grips to the bikes as standard or as an optional extra (this is what motor cycle manufacturers do).

Or they could do what I think some e-bike manufacturers currently do when it comes to fitting lights, ie. they put in the wiring for the lights during the manufacturing process, then its not too difficult to fit any lights the owner wants.

The same thing could be done for the wiring for heated grips, they could install the wiring during the manufacturing process, I doubt that would add a huge amount to the costs of production. Then the bike buyer could fit the heated grips themselves or get an LBS to fit them, if they thought that would be a useful addition to have.

Reactions: flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I'd be interested in hearing which tyres you use for winter riding. I have Marathon plus ones installed but thinking about changing them for the winter. I wont cycle in icy weather but perhaps cold, wet, occasional snowy urban commutes.
I'm sure I have read one or two threads on this subject on this site, I will look around for you later today but have to go out now. If someone else knows the threads I mean can you put a link into them in this thread.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
These are for motorcycles I was thinking they might take too much power out of a pedelec battery. With a motorcycle there is an alternator constantly charging the battery so you don't have a problem (usually) of the battery going flat when using the heated grips.

The heated grips on motorcycles get fairly hot, I don't think they would need to be this powerful on a pedelec. On a motorcycle you are often traveling at high speed and so wind chill becomes a large factor, you also aren't doing a lot of work when riding it to help generate some of your own heat.

On a pedelec unless your Soundwave you will not be traveling at really high speeds and you will also be doing some of the work yourself and so I don't think the heated grips would need to be anything like as powerful as the ones found on a motorcycle.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I'm sure I have read one or two threads on this subject on this site, I will look around for you later today but have to go out now. If someone else knows the threads I mean can you put a link into them in this thread.
I've had a quick look for you to see if I could find any threads but couldn't find any, I'm sure you will get some replies. The people on this site are extremely helpful.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I’ve got Marathon Plus tyres on my Brompton which are sketchy at the best of times. I’m impressed with Schwalbe G One gravel tyres I’ve got on my ‘proper’ bike. They feel very sure footed. Not tried them on ice.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Keis do heated glove liners for about £60 but are meant for motorcycles with 12v available, and also a small 12v powerpack to run them if you dont costing another £50.
This will probably work well, but at a cost...
Again self build bike systems have an advantage here in that the build could include a 12v access point.

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
STUDS/SPIKES end off.
My kalkhoff still has it Swalbe spikes on from last winter. I will fit one of my ordinary bikes with studs sometime this week. Rural the weather forecaster always say knock up to 3° off the winter temperature forecast. I got a wipeout when the minimum temperature was supposed to be 4°. All I did was stop pedalling going down a steep hill, immediately the wheels went from under me.....painful.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Plenty of heated gloves available with their own batteries. Everything from D cells for about £10 through 3xAAs to lithium. Google is your friend.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah but I didn't see the point in carrying another battery when there's (two in my case) a battery already on the bike :)

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
I have various Schwalbe stud/spike tyres. On the pedelec the tyres are similar to a touring tyre with 2 lines of studs. Not really enough as I am pulling a trailer and on a ungritted hill road I struggled. Only one person had traveled on that particular road before me.
I also have tyres with 4 lines of studs. 2 pairs, one has mountain bike type thread this is for snow but can be used when just ice. Alas my pedelec is 28" the ones with 4 lines of studs are are 26".
https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/spikes.html

tubbycyclist

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2018
I have used Marathon Winters and they work well on ice. My finest moment was cycling across an off road track that was complete sheet ice for probably 1km. However, my smugness was ruined when I stopped, forgetting that my shoes did not have the same spikes. Undignified sliding followed. Lesson learnt, so proceed with caution!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nev and James63

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Plenty of USB heated gloves on web, use a a couple of USB battery packs and strap to your forearm. That way you don't need to unplug when hopping off bike.

There are also USB scooter handlebar warmers, in this case put USB battery pack in pouch on front stem.

Also saw warmers for feet.