Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Does anyone use mittens for cycling? A friend of mine told me that when it gets cold he uses fingerless cycling gloves and then wears a pair of mittens on top of them.

I tried that yesterday and it was much better than just a pair of sealskin gloves. The down side was its a bit more awkward to break and change gear, but that became easier after a while.

I need to get another (larger pair of mittens) as it was a bit of a tight squeeze to get them on while wearing a pair of fingerless gloves.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Does anyone use mittens for cycling? A friend of mine told me that when it gets cold he uses fingerless cycling gloves and then wears a pair of mittens on top of them.

I tried that yesterday and it was much better than just a pair of sealskin gloves. The down side was its a bit more awkward to break and change gear, but that became easier after a while.

I need to get another (larger pair of mittens) as it was a bit of a tight squeeze to get them on while wearing a pair of fingerless gloves.
Mittens are a bit too restrictive

Best in my view is crab hand gloves with whatever undergloves you choose.

Like these

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PXLGWL/planet-x--waterproof-crab-hand-winter-gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nev

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I was cycling along a narrow country lane yesterday at around the cut off speed. I passed under a tree and some bird poo landed right on the back of one of my gloves. Could have been worse it could have gone in my face but it got me thinking about the following.

I don't ever remember being craped on by birds when out cycling in the past so:-

Did the bird do this on purpose? If so then it took some skill by the bird to get the aim and the timing so correct.

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Did the bird do this on purpose?
HeHe, reminds me of a time, many years ago, when I was sat on a riverbank fishing. I was trotting a maggot on a float when a squirrel, sitting on an overhanging tree branch, pissed on my head. I too have often wondered if he did it on purpose.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If we forget about being warm and dry for a minute and consider visability.. for the last 5 weeks I have been visiting a hospice daily both going and returning in the dark and am astounded by what I see cyclists wearing. Although most have their bikes well lit, so far I have only seen one in a high vis jacket with the majority wearing black or seemingly black dark colours. These are not of the licra variety but comutors either going or returning from work.

• Informative

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
If we forget about being warm and dry for a minute and consider visability.. for the last 5 weeks I have been visiting a hospice daily both going and returning in the dark and am astounded by what I see cyclists wearing. Although most have their bikes well lit, so far I have only seen one in a high vis jacket with the majority wearing black or seemingly black dark colours. These are not of the licra variety but comutors either going or returning from work.
Yes it’s a problem. I have found a brilliant regatta real down jacket for £35 but unless I wear my hi viz rain jacket on top I’m invisible. I think I’m going to buy one of those ultra lightweight sleeveless workman’s hi viz vests to go on top

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yesterday I had to go to the dentist :(

My first ride in real rain for a while, deep running water, deep standing water and bucketing down - those who have been to the Basque Country will know what that means here... It was raining so hard that car drivers (not all of them!) were actually nice to me! The rear wheel kicked out a couple of times in corners on iron manhole covers, you couldn't see them underwater!

- my waterproof shoes need replacing (I wanted to do that on Saturday but didn't have my thick merino and possum socks with me for test fitting)
- I found the limit of my Magura front hydraulic rim brake, the blocks need replacing but I think a rim constantly coated with water is a bit much for them. No real risk as I was going slow enough so as not to come off
- gloves are still drying (no heating on yet, my flat is still at 18.5°C :) ) need a second pair anyway
- the rain jacket I picked up last year on sale is fabulous, the novadry Decathon pants did their job so dry as a bone from head to ankle/wrist
- the bike electrics did just fine, not a long immersion but a continuous one and a total wash! The Wattmeter fogged up a bit in the Ortlieb bag because a few drops got on it when I was plugging the battery in and that was under shelter :eek:

When it rains here an electric submarine would probably be more appropriate. Can't wait to get to work on one. Had I taken the trike I would probably have drowned en route... :eek:

Reactions: egroover and Nev

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Flooding and lashing down driving rain in my face on the commute home tonight. Fogged up cycling glasses perched on the end of my nose peering through a 1 cm gap lol. Dodging the over flowing drain covers. All lights on including helmet lights, no excuse for drivers not seeing me. Feel like a urban commuter super warrior in weather like this lol. Love it

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Awful on south coast , wind howling, rain lashing, sea smashing

Good gear means I'm warm , dry and bloomin loving it !

And the cycle lanes were deserted , such a pleasure :)

Reactions: Nev and egroover

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Reactions: Deus

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I got a new pair of these last week - no need for glove liners yet and it was frosty this morning!
I was going to buy some, but ended up buying some mittens from Buffalo that matched my jacket instead. They were expensive but I tried them out this morning and they were great. It wasn't quite freezing earlier today but must have been fairly close to it and my hands were nice and warm.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy the next size up in the waterproof crab from PX, I have it in large and it is tight. The non waterproof one fits well in large and is a less constrictive fit.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Agreed, I've bought the large waterproof ones and they're tight and I'm not a big bloke.
Triple agreed. In fact my super reflective versions have arrived now (medium) and are even tighter than the standard ones. You'd get nothing underneath them other than silk or thin glove liners

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Triple agreed. In fact my super reflective versions have arrived now (medium) and are even tighter than the standard ones. You'd get nothing underneath them other than silk or thin glove liners

And , although marketed as a photo reflective item, they do zilch.

Sending them back, first time ever and I have bought plenty from them