Winter Tyres

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Got a set of these this year, not wanting to have three years in a row where I've had to go to hospital because of coming off on the ice:

They do have a lot higher rolling resistance compared to normal tyres, but the grip is fantastic on un-gritted frozen roads and the motor assist means you don't worry about the extra drag.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Those bike tyre chains wouldn't fit through my mudguards - an interesting idea though but a bit of a pig to ride on ordinal surfaces.

Many years ago I used to fit tyre chains on my car but it was a real faff and the rare occasions they were needed down here in the sunny South saw the chains languish in a corner of the garage for a couple of decades.

Bike wise, being retired, if it is icy or snowy I stay indoors as if I fall off these days, recovery periods are somewhat longer than when I was 21.

IMHO those Schwalbe tyres would serve much better than chains, but each to their own and it'll be interesting to hear of other's experiences.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Those bike tyre chains wouldn't fit through my mudguards
I'd have to lose the mudguards. I think @WheezyRider 's winter pluses are the better option - regular pluses are hazardous with the merest hint of frost. Even some of the larger wet manhole covers on the road, can challenge regular marathon plus.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
One of my bikes has front wheel drive and the winter plus on that wheel has made a huge difference on the ice.

As well as the studs, the tread pattern is different compared to summer Marathons, with a chunky shoulder to give more grip on corners or in snow.

Reactions: Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Their Plus versions are more resistant to puncture than other offroad tyres with deep treads - Black Jacks for instance only have kevlar... therefore it sounds to me like they may be good all year round tyres, providing offroad and road grip in all conditions. I don't particularly care about higher rolling resistance or noise.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have been using them for the last couple of years, due to the pain getting them on I fitted them to a dedicated cheap pair of wheels, It's worth running them in before the winter comes, this compresses the studs into the tyre.
I run them at 50psi (26" X 1 75), my full size mudguards just fit on them, my front mudguard is fitted to a suspension fork. The mudguard usually sits below the crown (the lower n that attaches the lower forks together of the fork together), I have to move it to the top of the crown of the fork.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I fitted those schwalbe spike tyres a couple of winters ago, noisy but safe. I've lost a few spikes on stony bridleways but bought some spares with a tool to fit them. Probably fitting them this week. No such thing as bad weather, just bad kit!

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I have been using them for the last couple of years, due to the pain getting them on I fitted them to a dedicated cheap pair of wheels, It's worth running them in before the winter comes, this compresses the studs into the tyre.
I run them at 50psi (26" X 1 75), my full size mudguards just fit on them, my front mudguard is fitted to a suspension fork. The mudguard usually sits below the crown (the lower n that attaches the lower forks together of the fork together), I have to move it to the top of the crown of the fork.

Do the spikes get pushed in, or do they just wear down?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I fitted those schwalbe spike tyres a couple of winters ago, noisy but safe. I've lost a few spikes on stony bridleways but bought some spares with a tool to fit them. Probably fitting them this week. No such thing as bad weather, just bad kit!

I saw there was a tool you could buy to replace spikes...how does it work, they seem quite well bonded in. Is there a video?

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I saw there was a tool you could buy to replace spikes...how does it work, they seem quite well bonded in. Is there a video?
It's simple, the spikes have a small flat mushroom head just push and wriggle it into the hole with the tool. No glue. The holes must be moulded into the rubber, a mushroom shaped hole.
I'd post a pic but just come in from the shed and it's freezing out there.

Reactions: WheezyRider

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Do the spikes get pushed in, or do they just wear down?
They've come out, leaving the hole. I was going over a steep rocky track, so a bit of force would be involved. Lost maybe half a dozen over a couple of years.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would taking the studs out except for winter, make them loose over time? How hard is it to remove the studs?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
This is from their website.

This is how it's done: Ride approximately 40 kilometres on asphalt without accelerating powerfully or braking abruptly. The spikes are then more firmly seated!

I put a little bit of washing up liquid on the spike tyre end and a vice when installing new spikes. Any washing up residue makes the tyre look like it has rabies in the rain.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Would taking the studs out except for winter, make them loose over time? How hard is it to remove the studs?
Don't remove the studs just swap for standard marathon plus, tyres are hung up in shed at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If anyone hasnt used ice stud tyres and is wondering on grip. I went down an offroad track a few winters back that was completely sheet ice and took a hairpin at speed. Completely forgot i was on ice.
Not talking about frozen mud, or a bit of hardpack snow. This was a cold snap after weeks of rain and the surface was ice like in an ice rink. Totally blew my mind about how much grip is afforded by them.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That sure sounds preferable to the bike rotating away sideways on a horizontal axis. Oh well, looks like I'll be buying wider mudguards, because they only seem to make Winter Plus in 1.6" and 2.125" for 20" wheels, and I'm as sure as hell not going to use 1.6" narrow tyres.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
If anyone hasnt used ice stud tyres and is wondering on grip. I went down an offroad track a few winters back that was completely sheet ice and took a hairpin at speed. Completely forgot i was on ice.
Not talking about frozen mud, or a bit of hardpack snow. This was a cold snap after weeks of rain and the surface was ice like in an ice rink. Totally blew my mind about how much grip is afforded by them.
I agree, I've ridden across sheet ice I couldn't have walked across without slipping.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There aren't many cyclists on the cold roads locally at the moment - I only spotted one during 9 miles of a bus journey yesterday. I think that for me, winter tyres would be a waste of money... until I crack the keeping warm puzzle, or stop and get warm fast puzzle.