Wireless Gear Shift and Brakes on eBikes?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would build one and use a bafang hd 1000w motor and a hi end frame like a santa cruz ect just because i could blow up the motor and get the parts ect to fix it.

with bosch you cant do that as will only exchange motors so anything other than the bearings going then ur stuffed and have to replace the hole thing.

it would still not be what i want tho as it will have to be 15kg total waight and go 60 mph for 100 miles.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
i would build one and use a bafang hd 1000w motor and a hi end frame like a santa cruz ect just because i could blow up the motor and get the parts ect to fix it.

with bosch you cant do that as will only exchange motors so anything other than the bearings going then ur stuffed and have to replace the hole thing.

it would still not be what i want tho as it will have to be 15kg total waight and go 60 mph for 100 miles.
Thanks for that, my thoughts exactly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it all depends what you want to use the bike for at the end of the day sure even on my bike i can beat my m8s on the flat and up hill going down with all the extra waight i can never beat them.

i just can not flick it about like a 10kg bike and it jumps like a fkn tank lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0290.JPG
that got a tad to hot lol even my hope 2 part rotors can only just about take it ;)

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
it all depends what you want to use the bike for at the end of the day sure even on my bike i can beat my m8s on the flat and up hill going down with all the extra waight i can never beat them.

i just can not flick it about like a 10kg bike and it jumps like a fkn tank lol.
Ha Ha.. Im 61 and 18st, I won't be doing any downhill trails for sure.

Something robust, good looking, strong, fattish but not too fat tyres, comfy saddle and suspension seat post. Easy change gears, throttle, use for town, gravel, grass but nowt heavy off road.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you dont want out right speed good looks and warranty for two years id get one ready made problem is the throttle.

have you ridden any bosch or Yamaha motor bike? as with a dongle it dont take much to get to 25mph and i can avg that easy just any more and it nukes the battery so i get about 25 miles from a 500w new batt 700 fkn quid tho.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
well if you dont want out right speed good looks and warranty for two years id get one ready made problem is the throttle.

have you ridden any bosch or Yamaha motor bike? as with a dongle it dont take much to get to 25mph and i can avg that easy just any more and it nukes the battery so i get about 25 miles from a 500w new batt 700 fkn quid tho.
That's the problem, the replacement battery cost. Need to keep thatvdiwn to £350 which is workable

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will get 3-5 years from a bosch batt mind so they are worth the extra money but you really need to try some first as i dont think you realise how fast these things can go with out the 15mph limit and not much effort i think if i gave you my bike you shat ur self on it ;).

D

Deleted member 4366

I was in my local electric bike shop the other day and saw this. I was very impressed. The quality is outstanding. You get a remote fob that can do all sorts of fancy things to switch it on/off, alarm it, etc. Those functions can be done manually with the key too. It's totally silent and limited to 25 kph. It's totally legal as a EAPC. You can air pedal it to get the power, which works OK and is comfortable enough, or you can fit a throttle to get power on demand. 20Ah 48v battery gives it plenty of range. It even has proper hydraulic disc brake - not bicycle ones. I only rode it around the car park and up a small incline, but I loved it. It has a dual seat, so you could take a kiddie to school on it. These are things that we need to get the masses out of their gas guzzlers.

http://severnvalleyelectricbikes.co.uk/eskuta-sx250/

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hi Dave, I like that, there a loads of this type in the far east but do not look up to the quality of the one that you showed me.

Do you know how heavy it is?

It looks great to potter to the shops with, I've saved it.

The shops in Telford ?

D

Deleted member 4366

The shop's in Telford. those bikes were exhibited at the Bike Show, so there must be other dealers. It must be just over 40 kg because they told me that the importer said it was still legal because it could be classed as a tandem as it had a dual seat and passenger footrests. The law has changed on the weight recently, so that's not an issue anymore

Reactions: Andy88

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Too much chance of official displeasure, even if the contraption can be legally classed as a tandem.

You would have a hard job convincing a magistrate that something which looks like a motor scooter isn't one.

Particularly when that magistrate is being told by a known and trusted traffic cop what look likes a duck and quacks like a duck is generally a duck.

The retailer/importer would be nowhere to be seen at this point, so it would be up to the user to go to the time and considerable legal expense of proving the scooter is a push bike.

Always assuming the retailer/importer is not full of bull.

It's a bit of a legal minefield, so it may be this scooter can not be classified as a push bike.