Wires are confusing me.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Sorry to bother youse with all the questions a week into joining!

Right. Powabyke dead. Tried a new circuit and got permanent throttle problem still. Don't know if it's the ignition, throttle, controller or what.

I've got a new non PB throttle I've fitted, and a nice simple brush controller. All I care about is power and throttle. I'll probably swap the ignition for an on-off switch.

The only bit I'm truly stuck on is the amount of wires coming from the motor. 4 of 'em! Most of the controllers I've seen only have 2, like this one.

Does anyone happen know which combination I should use to get these attached properly? 2 big wires from the controller, and 4 from the motor. GEDC0498.JPG

I know i'm in way over my expertise, and appreciate the patience I've been shown on here. Thanks!

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I have a brushed motor 2 wires,red,black.And a brush less 8 wires green,blue,yellow and green, blue,yellow,red,black. 4 wires ??? No wonder the powabyke controllers are dear.We need an expert.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know which Powabyke motor series you have or the wiring on that one,

Try mailing them using this contact link. Include at the start of your message "Dear Frank Curran" and Frank may get to see it. He is a forum member here and has been very helpful in the past.

Ask them to look at your post, copying the following link in the mail so they can go direct to it:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/wires-are-confusing-me.23073/

Hopefully they will help and may respond here in your thread.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
I have a brushed motor 2 wires,red,black.And a brush less 8 wires green,blue,yellow and green, blue,yellow,red,black. 4 wires ??? No wonder the powabyke controllers are dear.We need an expert.
Luckily I got a replacement for £10 but I think that's possibly duffed now because of the mystery faulty element. Ah well...

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
I don't know which Powabyke motor series you have or the wiring on that one,

Try mailing them using this contact link. Include at the start of your message "Dear Frank Curran" and Frank may get to see it. He is a forum member here and has been very helpful in the past.

Ask them to look at your post, copying the following link in the mail so they can go direct to it:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/wires-are-confusing-me.23073/

Hopefully they will help and may respond here in your thread.
That's brilliant. Thanks very much for the help. I gave them a ring the other day but the gent I spoke to wasn't able to ID the exact issue. I'll give Frank a try! :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's brilliant. Thanks very much for the help. I gave them a ring the other day but the gent I spoke to wasn't able to ID the exact issue. I'll give Frank a try! :)
I'm hoping he's still with them, he hasn't posted for quite a while. If he is still there he's very knowledgeable about the electrics on these bikes.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
I'm hoping he's still with them, he hasn't posted for quite a while. If he is still there he's very knowledgeable about the electrics on these bikes.
Frank got back to within minutes!

Of the 4 wires running from the motor:
Red and green run down to the red wire from the motor.
Yellow and blue run to the black wire from the motor.
So knowing that, it's a case of attaching red and black, to the green and yellow of the Chinese controller. I'm safe to experiment here I hope?

Reactions: craiggor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Frank got back to within minutes!

Of the 4 wires running from the motor:
Red and green run down to the red wire from the motor.
Yellow and blue run to the black wire from the motor.
So knowing that, it's a case of attaching red and black, to the green and yellow of the Chinese controller. I'm safe to experiment here I hope?
Good to hear Frank responded. I assume that what you're going to try is ok after his advice but don't personally know that. I'd guess red to yellow of the controller at first. When you try it don't twist the throttle wide open straight away, just try a touch of throttle see if the motor starts running, If it doesn't, try another combination the same careful way. If you get those last connections the wrong way round the motor might run backwards.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Good to hear Frank responded. I assume that what you're going to try is ok after his advice but don't personally know that. I'd guess red to yellow of the controller at first. When you try it don't twist the throttle wide open straight away, just try a touch of throttle see if the motor starts running, If it doesn't, try another combination the same careful way. If you get those last connections the wrong way round the motor might run backwards.
I've stripped most of what confused me before and have crimped attachments where needed. Battery indicator LED on the throttle is working when ignition turned but no response after turning throttle. Tried controller to motor wires both ways around too. Not disheartened though. the controller I'm using has been on the floor of a damp shed for 2 years, so bought a new one off ebay, and if that still doesn't work, will attach new wires to the motor (only needs 2 after all) to hopefully simplify further. Thanks mate!

Reactions: flecc

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016

Thrilled to bits to say I FIXED IT! All with old bits I had from a previous project I bought off someone else and left in the shed. And I've never done any kind of electrical gubbins before. Thanks again for all the help!

Reactions: VictoryV and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thrilled to bits to say I FIXED IT! All with old bits I had from a previous project I bought off someone else and left in the shed. And I've never done any kind of electrical gubbins before. Thanks again for all the help!
Well done Lee, perseverance paid off. :)

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Well done Lee, perseverance paid off. :)
Thanks!
While on a high, I decided to take the Li-ion battery from my old bike kit (not much life left in it, but still worth using) and wire it to the inside of the chassis, right on the bolts that go under the battery connectors for the lead-acid case. Works beautifully!
GEDC0552.JPG
So I've got the option of my LI battery on the pannier, or the fairly fresh Lead-acid ones in the frame. Might be cool for really long journey.

I don't suppose having BOTH batteries in and powered at the same time would work out well would it? If it's not going to make the batteries blow each other or something else up, I might even invest in a new Li-ion and put in in the Lead-acid case that comes with the Powabyke.

Also, was considering adding a button that bypasses the controller and goes straight from the battery to the motor for some fun off-road speeding. I imagine there, I'd be dicing with trouble wouldn't I?

Thanks!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't suppose having BOTH batteries in and powered at the same time would work out well would it? If it's not going to make the batteries blow each other or something else up, I might even invest in a new Li-ion and put in in the Lead-acid case that comes with the Powabyke.

Also, was considering adding a button that bypasses the controller and goes straight from the battery to the motor for some fun off-road speeding.
Best not try to run the lead acid and Li-ion in parallel coupled together, it could cause trouble. Two li-ions can be used in that way, so long as they are charged separately to the same level, but it's usually safest in both cases to run each battery separately, swapping battery or connections when the first runs out during a ride. No possible problems that way.

The bypass button idea should work, though of course it's running the motor continuously to the maximum, and with Li-ion on a higher voltage. This will shorten the life of some parts, like the brushes for example. Personally I think your Powabyke is best as it is, not very fast maybe, but a great hill climber.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Best not try to run the lead acid and Li-ion in parallel coupled together, it could cause trouble. Two li-ions can be used in that way, so long as they are charged separately to the same level, but it's usually safest in both cases to run each battery separately, swapping battery or connections when the first runs out during a ride. No possible problems that way.

The bypass button idea should work, though of course it's running the motor continuously to the maximum, and with Li-ion on a higher voltage. This will shorten the life of some parts, like the brushes for example. Personally I think your Powabyke is best as it is, not very fast maybe, but a great hill climber.
Thanks again Flecc. Yeah, I'm best off not pushing my luck. Although I am intent on fitting a 36v light to it still. Can't find any 36v toggle switches on ebay though - all momentary ones!

***Scratch that - Stopped typing in "36V" and loads for electric bikes are coming up. :) ***

Reactions: VictoryV