Wisper 905se, 2010 model

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
It’s now four years since I bought my Wisper 905. I hope this review will prove useful to anyone thinking of buying one.

I went for the 905se City with a 36v battery, fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and slimed tubes. I mention these specifically as I haven’t had a puncture in four years, despite riding round the pot-holed roads of north-west London.

I’m disabled (one leg), old-ish (65+), fat-ish (125kg+), and not very fit. These facts are relevant, too, as they mean that I always use the throttle starting from rest; on the flat, just for a few yards; on rising ground, full throttle until I get my legs going and the bike moving, and the 3-way power control is permanently set to ‘maximum’.

The point I’m making is that I have used this bike to its limits. I forget the weight recommendation by Wisper, but I’m certainly way above it, and despite all this, the bike - and more importantly the battery - has held up well. I had a problem with the key switch after about two years, which PowaRider fixed under warranty. After three years, the original battery was still going strong, but a windfall meant I could buy a new battery, which gave a boost both to the bike’s power and range. But I use the original battery from time to time, and it still works well.

Criticisms of the bike itself? Few. For a machine of that price, a rear disc brake would have helped - old-fashioned brake blocks wear out quickly. Curiously, the internal diameter of the handlebars was a problem - being narrower than standard, it meant that accessories such as bar-end mirrors couldn’t be fitted. I ended up buying a new pair of bars from a bike shop (about £30) and changing them over. 7/8” seems to be the norm for internal diameters on bars, and the Wisper’s originals were about 5/8”.

The soppy little bell, of course, which scarcely worked, needed changing for a proper one - only a couple of quid, but for a £1500+ bike you might have expected better. Likewise the saddle was not the most comfortable, a point where spending a few extra pounds at manufacture could improve the bike.

The Wisper didn’t let me down in nearly 4 years, except recently when it refused to switch on. I looked at all the obvious (?) places where wires could have come undone, without success, and ended up getting the bike taken the 12 or so miles into London to the Electric Transport Shop (as by then PowaBike had moved from the just-about-accessible Woking area to the definitely-not-accessible distant Cheltenham).

Once the Wisper arrived at The Electric Transport Shop, it was working again, sod’s law being what it is; they went through the Wisper from battery to handlebars, undoing all the joints, putting them together again, and found no obvious fault. Since then, the Wisper has once again been totally reliable.

But that brings me to a final point, one which I ignored when I bought the bike, and one which potential buyers of ANY e-bike should ponder.

What do you do when (if) your bike goes wrong? If you live within a mile or two of an e-bike dealer, well, you’re one of the lucky few, but if you don’t, you’re in trouble. Most of us can fix small things on our bikes - chains coming off, brakes that need fixing, puncture repairs, and many of us will live within reasonable distance of a good local bike shop for more major work, but haven’t a clue when it comes to a dead electric bike, and need the services of a skilled e-bike mechanic.

If you’ve got a car, you can probably cram your bike into the back and take it to an e-bike dealer, although the Wisper only went into the back of my small car if I removed the bike’s front wheel.

No-one’s fault, of course. The e-bike industry is growing at differing rates - sales might be up, all to the good, but servicing is lagging way behind. My local bike shop, run by a lovely guy who’s been there for decades, won’t touch e-bikes, and I’m sure it’s the same with most of you. Maybe the problem needs an industry-based solution, i.e. the e-bike makers and sellers should start their own training programmes. But think on. If you buy your bike from a dealer a few hundred miles away, no matter how pleasant they are and no matter how willing they will be to fix your future sick e-bike, just how are you going to get it to them? Driving is probably not an option, as it’ll almost certainly be TWO trips (one to take the bike in, one a few days later to collect it). Stripping your bike down and stuffing it into a bike-box is an option, but not an attractive one. Learn how to do it yourself? Probably the best bet, but most of us couldn’t learn that much!

Would I recommend the Wisper? Absolutely. Or in fact any other comparable e-bike. You will get what you pay for, though. A £500 e-bike will not last like a £1500 model.

Downsides? Few, the major one being that the bike is very heavy and hard to propel once the electrics are dead, so once it’s stopped, it’s stopped. Don’t buy an e-bike thinking you’re going to be able to ride it like a normal pedal cycle. Unless you are ultra-fit, you’re not! And if you’re thinking of changing your car, just make sure the new one is big enough to cart your e-bike to your dealer, just in case....

A.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Thanks for an interesting post. The day you wrote this, I was buying a Wisper 905 Classic (I think a 2013 model). My dealer is over 50 miles away, so getting it back to him will be an issue. I am fortunate to have a biggish estate car which will swallow a bike (wheels on) easily, and a rack for the towbar which will carry the other one, but finding a day out of one's schedule - I work nights - to get there and back, possibly twice, is not so simple. However, my decision to buy there, so I'll have to put up with that.

I'm very pleased with the bike so far. I've tested it against a couple of local hills that were a mental barrier to using the pushbikes, and although I won't say I sailed up them, it was certainly a million times easier than grabbing the granny cog on the MTB and churning upwards for half an hour.

The bike seems very robust, and if all goes well I plan to commute on it, at least until the winter sets in.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Something just occurred to me, which might have relevance...

I've got through FOUR broken rear-wheel spokes since I've had the bike. This could be a design fault, or it could be a 'Friday' wheel, or even more likely, it could be the way I ride the bike (throttle from rest, every time, putting an extra twist on the vulnerable rear spokes).

Hasn't troubled me much, as my local bike shop only charge £15 a time to replace a spoke.

A.

D

Deleted member 4366

36 spokes is going to work out a bit expensive - £540. Breaking spokes is nothing to do with the way you ride. It's a combination of crappy spokes and bad wheel-building.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Well, I obviously bow (as usual) to greater knowledge, but if you were 100% right, wouldn't there be a steady stream of complaints from Wisper owners about broken spokes?

I'm heavy, with one plastic leg. I sit on the saddle, and turn the throttle. I simply CAN'T pedal for a few yards. So each time I do that (3 rides a week, 20 stop/starts a day = 60 times a week, x 52, or getting on for 10,000 times in four years), surely it puts a BIT of extra strain on the spokes?

A

D

Deleted member 4366

When was the last time you heard of a motorbike wheel with broken spokes? Nobody pedals them!

It would be worse if you pedalled because the chain is attached to the motor, so the torque on the spokes would be even higher since you'd have motor torque plus pedal torque.

Loads of electric bikes have had problems with spokes. There's so many variables that it's not easy to get things right, but IMHO, the main culprit is the quality control of the wire used. In Europe, controls on wire grades are fairly reliable, but not on Chinese wire. I guess many spokes made in Europe are still made with Chines wire. Unless you send a sample to a Met Lab to get it tested, you'd never know.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
A little learning is a dangerous thing, obviously. But I will keep my eyes peeled for other Wisper owners complaining about broken spokes!

A

Reactions: uk_steve

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
What a great read I'm not in the same age bracket however we have simular circumstances that's for sure! when I got my wisper 905SE back in 2009/2010 i was weighing in at 133KG I think and my bike moved me easy at the time I was in denial about my weight however I can relate to your circumstances I'm above knee amputee 41 In age and know dam well about your needs because let's face it we can only know when you are in the same situation ;) anyway I been on my bike on and off ever since back then and I'm sure I lost 25kg because of the bike but more importantly the freedom the bike gives us when walking is a major task or impossible due to pressure sores around stump or socket
rubbing in the groan area and or the good leg simply does not have the power to move our loads so to speak, so back to your must have situation full power from standstill on your bike or simply put a safe way to move away on the bike yes this is a must have feature for people like me & you.your spokes i feel this is not a design flaw I'm thinking you may be unlucky because I haven't to date had this happen to me and I use my bike in the same way as you,I feel what the other guy has said above is perhaps on point due to the spokes maybe not strong enough which IMO Wisper should be notified and saying guys & girls this is not on I lost a few spokes now I want more just in case because I just shelled out x3 £15 already that be my stance ;) nah actually just sort it out not impressed.

At the time I went for the big battery and I'm glad I did, sadly the only downfall with Wisper is the cost of a replacement battery because my bike is still ace today but the battery replacement cost is making me thinking in just getting another new bike I may even look at another brand where battery's are not that dear so to speak, it's a shame the don't do a loyalty scheme for battery's with Wisper because the bikes are build like tanks I feel it still be good for another 5 or 6 years but me personally I will not pay those prices just for replacement battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Curiously, the internal diameter of the handlebars was a problem - being narrower than standard, it meant that accessories such as bar-end mirrors couldn’t be fitted. I ended up buying a new pair of bars from a bike shop (about £30) and changing them over. 7/8” seems to be the norm for internal diameters on bars, and the Wisper’s originals were about 5/8”.
This is normal, horizontal handlebars commonly have the smaller diameter inside and out and bar end mirrors are made for them, for example the Cateye BM500G.

Drop handlebars have the larger diameters and the Cateye mirror in that case is the BM300G with the larger insert that often doesn't fit horizontal bars. Click the two links and the insert difference will be obvious.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hello Steve,

Good to hear cycling has improved your weight (hasn't done much for mine as it happens!)

Do you use any 'bits' to modify your bike? I use pedal adaptors and things, pictured on a blog I've put on Google:

http://amputeecycling.blogspot.co.uk/

Re. the battery cost - as far as I know most top-end batteries cost a lot, the Wisper being no exception. At present, I'm using my original 2010 battery (as someone had a go at removing my newer one from my bike), and it's going fine. (Powarider fixed my damaged battery free of charge under warranty - good firm, if a bit distant from NW London). With two decent batteries, I can see my Wisper going on for several years yet, so the relative cost goes down of course.mirror.jpg

(Flecc: the reason I made a fuss over the bars' internal diameter is that I'm blind in one eye (right), and need a good solid mirror on that side - having changed the bars, I can now use a motor-bike mirror, rather than the tiddly bike varieties, which keeps me relatively safer).

A

Reactions: uk_steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(Flecc: the reason I made a fuss over the bars' internal diameter is that I'm blind in one eye (right), and need a good solid mirror on that side - having changed the bars, I can now use a motor-bike mirror, rather than the tiddly bike varieties, which keeps me relatively safer).

A
Good idea in that circumstance, the small diameter insert bar mirror types are often easily knocked out of adjustment, as well as having small reflective areas.

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
Hi Allen a few mods yes indeed a weighted pedal and toe clip on the false limb side I do move my foot inwards towards the bike with Alan key so my rotation is clear from the frame on my heal, once I done my ride I simply put the foot back into walking angle and tighten hard, when I got the bike a changed the seat to a more comfy gel then what wisper supplyed, I actually got the 905Se sport but wanted the rack on the back like the city, I hear you on the battery I totally understand but in my head it's saying sell the bike now and get another new one, I know it costs more but everything is back to new start again,yeah I'm a child in the 1980s that's old this is new mentality (bonkers I know) ;-) this is why I spotted your thread because I was seeing what bikes are out there now but I was intrigued how your bike was holding out 4 years later because we have simular bikes, Regards Steve

Update:
Well Allen I just learnt something new by reading your blog! I had no idea about this seat post system you have what a great idea I can relate to everything you have said about we do indeed do sit lower but that is a excellent idea, however I did fall over on my bike a few years ago it was due to me thinking I had 2 real legs still when I started to do a only fools and horses moment, I was trying to put my leg down on the floor (but silly me you have a false limb and it just simply fell down with the bike on the road, it must of looked funny seeing this guy doing this fall without reacting not putting his foot out, the people in the car behind come rushing out "Are you ok?" I couldn't stop laughing, I finally composed my self sorry guys I have a false limb and I totally forgot I couldn't do that anymore, lucky for me it never bothered me I just cracked on and touch "wood" I have never done it again, it still makes me smile thinking about that day :)

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hello Steve,

And good to hear you're still laughing.

I fell off me bike last month, first time since 2009, and although I'm fine (just a low speed slip) it did cross my mind that life with a broken wrist could be an AWFUL pain - imagine trying to put your plastic leg on with one hand!

Take care...

Allen