Wisper 905SE Sport

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Not sure quite what setup you're running, but if it's like mine with a spider and a chainring bolted to it, then would moving the ring to the other side of the spider help with chain alignment? Also, curiously enough I found that putting the ring on back to front made some improvement.

The other thing I did was to have the bike upside down, and slowly rotated the pedals backward to see how each tooth on the ring took up the chain. I did find a couple that it wasn't smooth to the point of lifting the chain off the ring, and attended to these teeth with a file (gently) to ease the transition. The reason for running the chain backward was that, like yours, it would more often than not come off when back-pedaling.

Oh, yes and the spider I bought to go with the chainring was a 'cheap as chips' ebay job, that I discovered had one arm out of line, and so was causing the ring to deviate slightly, now replaced for a better one.

I hope some of this helps.

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Hi Davall (cool name first three letters of David and last three of Miall!:D)
Purely coincidental, I assure you! :)

Taken from my first electric bike, a Davall Electra, purchased in 1987. The Davall Gears company of Welham Green who sold me it are still going strong, though I don't think they sold bikes for long. It was just a sideline to their main business. Their expertise was in producing the motor/gearbox - a heavy lump which bolted to the front fork and drove a short chain to the front wheel which was fitted with a sprocket.

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
So this alone put you of a great bike.........Your loss:rolleyes:
Yes, I know.

I have a little rule which says never spend hundreds of pounds buying something which isn't working properly -- I'm funny like that.

:rolleyes:

;)

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Davall

Yes, I know.

I have a little rule which says never spend hundreds of pounds buying something which isn't working properly -- I'm funny like that.

:rolleyes:

;)
Hi Davall, I wonder if the owner of the engineering company shared my name as you say it is a great coincidence!

I think what Eddie was saying is that we would have put the bike right for you under warranty.

All the best David