Wisper Alpino photos (warning: large page download)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The 8-speed alfine is truly inspired.

The specs for the 806 say its a 24v battery. Is that right or is it a 36v setup ?

So what is this motor ? I assume its geared ?

Regards

Jerry

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Inspired

Thanks Gerry

This set up is only available on the 806Alpino at £1499.00. Unfortunately we do not have any coming into the UK until the beginning of the summer. The 806fe has a 24V battery, 16 gears and is a lot less expensive.

All the best

David

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think the spec looks great. My only problem is that they are cabled disc brakes rather than hydraulic - I think you can get away with this on the City but on the xc Tourer it is a glaring omission (at near £2500).

By the way David, how are the bikes distributed throughout the dealers - do punters put in an order with you or go to the nearest dealer? Also when will the *06s start coming in in proper numbers? I don't want to apply for a cycle to work cheque in March only to find I have to wait months for a bike (and risk the cheque expiring).

Also are there some details about the new Dapush motors and what sort of freewheel they use - they look the same size as the Tongxin but I would like to know that they are a bit more robust please.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hydraulic brakes

Hi Harry

Good point! We are working very hard to put hydraulic brakes onto all our Alpino and XC bikes. The problem is that brake levers for hydraulic brakes are not available for electric bikes. They do not have a cable to cut out the motor when the brake is applied.

We will have hydraulics on the bikes before the summer and it will be a simple process to upgrade, I can't say how we will do it yet, it is in the patent office.

Once we have hydraulic system sorted out we will offer the upgrade on XC's for £25.00.

Thanks for your other questions, I will reply tomorrow, my wife is getting a little miffed that I haven't taken any time off this weekend! :eek:

All the best

David

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
Hi Harry

Good point! We are working very hard to put hydraulic brakes onto all our Alpino and XC bikes. The problem is that brake levers for hydraulic brakes are not available for electric bikes. They do not have a cable to cut out the motor when the brake is applied.
Do you really need brake lever switches when you have a pedal sensor ? (I assume the bikes have one)

When you brake, you stop pedaling (natural response) and the motor cuts out...

That said, a generic hydraulic cut-out switch that works will all handles should be easy to construct. Just a simple pressure switch that can be integrated into the cable. Hydraulic pressure = no motor current.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Hi Harry

We will have hydraulics on the bikes before the summer and it will be a simple process to upgrade, I can't say how we will do it yet, it is in the patent office.

Once we have hydraulic system sorted out we will offer the upgrade on XC's for £25.00.

Thanks for your other questions, I will reply tomorrow, my wife is getting a little miffed that I haven't taken any time off this weekend! :eek:

All the best

David
are the brakes on Kalkhoff inappropriate for wisper?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
are the brakes on Kalkhoff inappropriate for wisper?
There is no need to have cut outs on the Kalkhoff as all power is delivered via the pedals (once you stop pedalling there is no power) - actually I would say there is no need to have cut outs for the Wisper if it is a pedelec (and I think they are all going to comply with the EU laws now so they will be). I think David is being ultra cautious.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I find the pedelec sensor has a delay before it cuts out the motor but the brake switches are instant, I like the instant response.

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
I find the pedelec sensor has a delay before it cuts out the motor but the brake switches are instant, I like the instant response.
With Heinzmann sensor the response in instant once you stop pedalling, with Wisper and many others it takes bit longer

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Wisper Bikes;68341 my wife is getting a little miffed that I haven't taken any time off this weekend! :o All the best David[/QUOTE said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

when the wife next gets miffed just "wisper" in her ear that the reason she is living the life of a sultans wife is all due to your endeavour to have the best e-bike available and customer service there is,and if that dont work then LL travel-lodges have internet connection...:D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If Only!

I think that is her point Keith, we are living like Church mice AND I work 7 days a week!! :eek:

We are an independent company with no overdraft facility or loan (by choice) so all these tweaks and redesigns come from any profit we make, fortunately we do sell of lot of bikes now so we can move forward quite quickly. It is amazing how expensive each little change is, for example having the new 180mm front disk tooled was £4K then we have to place a minimum order for £6K's worth!

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Brake cut offs

There is no need to have cut outs on the Kalkhoff as all power is delivered via the pedals (once you stop pedaling there is no power) - actually I would say there is no need to have cut outs for the Wisper if it is a pedelec (and I think they are all going to comply with the EU laws now so they will be). I think David is being ultra cautious.
I have revisited the EN15194 document to check.

brake lever cut-off switch
device that cuts off the motor assistance while using the brake lever

4.2.4.1 Requirements
When tested by the method described in 4.2.4.2 the recordings shall show that:
a) assistance shall be provided only when the cyclist pedals forward. This requirement has to be checked according to the test methods described in 4.2.4.2.2 a);

b) assistance shall be cut off when the cyclist stops pedaling forward such that the cut off distance does not exceed 5 m with the use of brake lever cut off switch or 2 m without the use of brake lever cut off switch. This requirement has to be checked according to the test methods described in 4.2.4.2.2 b);

As our motor on/off is controlled by the magnets on the plate passing a sensor the bike will travel more than 2M before the motor cuts out.

The UK regs are quite specific saying the motor must cut out when the brakes are applied this is because the UK regs do not (currently) ban the use of an independent throttle up to 25kph, there seems to be the normal confusion in this area.

However thanks Harry, due to your post we are revisiting the whole question today. I will let you know what happens.

All the best David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Dealers

By the way David, how are the bikes distributed throughout the dealers - do punters put in an order with you or go to the nearest dealer? Also when will the *06s start coming in in proper numbers? I don't want to apply for a cycle to work cheque in March only to find I have to wait months for a bike (and risk the cheque expiring). QUOTE]

Hi Harry

Wisper's are distributed soley through dealers as we believe in local service. You can put an order in with is but it is more usual to go straight to our dealer network. The local dealers are all on our website. We have placed the next order so the next lot will be here in the early summer from which point we will have a good stock available.

All the best

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hydraulics Vs Full throttle

Hi Harry

After a few quick calls I have found that indeed we can fit Hydraulics! The cut of is only needed on full throttle bikes. The XC's on the way may well be the last of the full throttle bikes coming in so after that we can make changes.

We will however be OK to continue using full throttle control for a few months yet, what do you think is more valuable?

Thanks a million, too close to the woods to see the trees!

All the best

David

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
David,

Thank you for all your post - it must be a pain to have punters continually questioning what is being fitted to your bike. I can see that each change is expensive so has to carefully considered. One solution for the present dilemma about fitting hydraulics on a throttle bike would be to keep the rear as a cable (and brake cutout) and change the front for a powerful hydraulic (do the regulations say that both have to be cutouts - I don't think so). This is exactly what I would do if I bought a Wisper as my only experience of cabled discs has been negative (actually dangerous on the Eco Tornado). I can see the advantage of keeping the throttle for now although I have yet to try how the pedalec works on a Wisper - hopefully quite well.

Again thanks for continuing to develop the bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Pedelecers!

Hi Harry

I totally rely on you lot at Pedelecs to help me to develop the bikes, believe me Pedelecs members' views have been massively important to Wisper. Only by listening to what people want can we make a better electric bike. Therefore any points that are made are taken on board. Your comments on hydraulic brakes will make big changes to our braking systems, my guys in Shanghai are working in them now. I have already made an appointment to visit the R and D guys Tektro for next week.

Whilst on the subject, I must say if it were not for your input along with a great number of others and course Guru Flecc, we could not have moved on so fast but nor would the bikes have become more expensive. :eek:

I do get a bit of flack for sticking my nose in, and I appologise to those who don't agree with suppliers being involved in discussions. The truth is I enjoy every minute and the support I get is superb!

All the best

David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Its because Wisper are so responsive to customer suggestions and openly discussing both flaws and advantages of everything I decided to buy one of their bikes! I have worked in IT and electronic engineering in various roles for over 20 years and I have never seen this level of transparency and attention to detail from a British company before. Most others (sadly including some companies I have previously worked for) shoved problems under the carpet and simply ignored "incovenient" customer suggestions.

Whilst I don't think I can justify a 906 as well as my 905 (although I am pleased to see there is a 26" version for us shorter folk as well :rolleyes: ) will that LED light be available as an add on to the 905 series? (assuming there is a 36V lighting feed on the controller)..