Wisper Crash "test"

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Last Thursday, on my way home from work, I was turning a corner onto an incline, so trying to keep as much momentum as possible, when the front wheel lost all grip on the road with enevitable consequences. I ended up with four stitches in my chin, and being generally the worse for wear.

I don't regard this in any way to be a fault of the bike, merely a combination of me making a careless mistake in cornering too fast, and the conditions being fairly wet and slippery. There must have also been some anomaly with he road surface, maybe a patch of oil or something, as it all happened very quickly.

The bike came through impressively without a scratch, despite the front wheel being spun 180 degrees, and yanking the cable loom to the controller. The only damage to occur was that the wiring was ripped out of the assistance level switch box, and I've now repaired this with very prompt advice from Norman at Wisper Service. All this meant btw, was that I was stuck in High assistance mode, so really not an issue :) .

I'd like to say thank you to Wisper for building such a robust machine, that allowed me to ride the remaining 7miles home with confidence (in the bike at least :D). Cheers Guys.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear that Straylight, the Autumn roads can certainly be treacherous, but it's good that your Wisper stood up to it ok.

I find it's the odd diesel slicks that occur through splashes from overfilled tanks that cause much of the sudden slippery patches on our roads, particularly on bends where the turn causes fuel slurp towards inadequate filler caps on vans and lorries. A damp road surface can mask the fact that the diesel oil is there, making it doubly dangerous.

jakeboy

Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2008
crash

i agree in my motorcycle days i had a few narrow escapes due to diesel spillage you develop an eye and nose for it

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I'm finding the autumn roads great fun especially at the back. I'm very careful with that back brake:eek:
I put it down to the damp roads and all that leaf residue - possibly I need a new back tyre as well.

Bad luck Straylight with the stitches and all. Glad to see the bikes OK. :)

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
Diesel on the roads is the bane of any motorcyclist who ever rides in wet weather and can occur any time of year. The time to be most careful I'm told is when you get a little rain after a long dry spell. Anything dumped on the road will then mix nicely with a small water to make a nice little skid pan for the unsuspecting. Motorbikes are worst effected, whereas you probably wouldn't even notice it in a car as the tyres on the other side of the car would probably hav a better grip.

I personally experienced a mobile skid pan whilst doing a rather high cruise speed on an R1 sports bike, just going in a straight line on a foreign motorway, without leather (yes I know, very stupid :eek: ). For about 100m I could feel the rear tyre just spart to spin up. I just maintained the same throttle and kept going staright and it passed without iincident. The same mobile skid pan in another place would have almost certainly been messy.

Happy it didn't end too badly for you. Keep safe :)

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Thankyou everybody for your kind remarks, I'm starting to feel a bit less daft :eek:, though I suspect the principal factor was that it's a route I've ridden many times before, and so I was being a bit too blasé. I'd also had a fairly heavy day at work and maybe wasn't paying enough attention - hey ho - you live and learn, even after 25 years in the saddle! Should be having the stitches out tomorrow, all being well, it wasn't a big hole just a rather deep one. The bugger is that I can't shave because of it, and so I'm continually resisting the urge to have a good scratch! :mad:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Crash test

I'd like to say thank you to Wisper for building such a robust machine, that allowed me to ride the remaining 7miles home with confidence (in the bike at least :D). Cheers Guys.
Sorry to hear about the crash Straylight 4 stitches in the chin! Sounds horrible. :(

Thank you though for your kind comments.

Best regards

David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I was really careful after reading about this, as I reckon we both ride in the same sort of areas. indeed, my nose told me that someone is carelessly spilling diesel across the roads of Ipswich / Mid Suffolk. Thankfully I have had no mishaps, but this annoys me on two counts - not just the risk to us cyclists, but that people worldwide are actually dying in wars over oil which makes it even worse its casually being spilled on the road :mad:

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Last Thursday, on my way home from work, I was turning a corner onto an incline, so trying to keep as much momentum as possible, when the front wheel lost all grip on the road with enevitable consequences. I ended up with four stitches in my chin, and being generally the worse for wear.

I don't regard this in any way to be a fault of the bike, merely a combination of me making a careless mistake in cornering too fast, and the conditions being fairly wet and slippery. There must have also been some anomaly with he road surface, maybe a patch of oil or something, as it all happened very quickly.

The bike came through impressively without a scratch, despite the front wheel being spun 180 degrees, and yanking the cable loom to the controller. The only damage to occur was that the wiring was ripped out of the assistance level switch box, and I've now repaired this with very prompt advice from Norman at Wisper Service. All this meant btw, was that I was stuck in High assistance mode, so really not an issue :) .

Feel really sorry for your crash, exactly the same crash happened to me, It was raining and I was turning not even at high speed when I realised that my front wheel is loosing control, so made a handlebars straight and went onto pavement where I had no choice other than to jump off the bike.

I could not believe that at such a low speed I could loose the control. When I was young I used to race MTB professionally and ride in hell a lot worse conditions and never had a surprise as this one.

I think there had to be some old diesel on the road that is why was slippery,

you all guys be careful now