Wisper or Ciphy?

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
i've the impression that Wisper bikes are at (or near to) the 'top of the range' bike. Something to aspire to, but not very cheap..

Surfing this morning i came across this:

NEW 26" ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKE BICYCLE LI-ION BLACK M7 on eBay (end time 08-Apr-11 12:28:22 BST)

It looks almost identical to the Wispers I've noticed, yet its only £750! A grand less than some Wisper models.

Is there a fully rational explanation for such price disparity? I realise that 'back up' from a well established company has a value, but there is a years guarantee on new items even without the luxury of a large organisation to turn to.

What do people think?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think it's been discussed many times before, I'm sure a search will bring up something or David will be along in a moment......

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
The Ciphy model has a six year frame guarantee, which implies some sort of back up to any purchase.

When all is said and done, an aluminium frame is an aluminium frame, and although its obviously a significant part of any investment in an electric bike, they must be regarded as reliable. Similar with the motor, perhaps less so with the battery - but the quality of the battery cannot explain a £1000 price disparity can it?

Taking a comparative perspective (between the various brand names), it is hard to see where the additional value for money is when surveying bikes which have prices starting at above £1500?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The one year guarantee on the Ebay bike will have the same longevity as the seller. That is, if he is a spiv with a container load, the guarantee disappears when he does. Alternatively, it might turn out alright. Its a gamble, and if you are comfortable gambling £750, go for it.

I have noticed that David from Wisper spends a lot of time on this forum, dealing with customers' concerns. Considering that we, the Pedelec forum, represent a only fraction of the Ebike buying population, that's impressive customer care. As someone has already mentioned, that level of customer service and back up delivers a certain measure of reassurance for the customer, and that has a very real value.

ps I notice that the Ebay seller has only been around for 5 months

Last edited:

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
The seller only seems to have 1 positve feedback as a seller, and that is only half positive, as the buyer complains that his bike took 11 days to arrive.

The bike maybe ok but it may be worth shopping around a bit or seeing if there is a chance that you could try b4 if you are near enough to travel to test it.

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
The one year guarantee on the Ebay bike will have the same longevity as the seller. That is, if he is a spiv with a container load, the guarantee disappears when he does. Alternatively, it might turn out alright. Its a gamble, and if you are comfortable gambling £750, go for it.

I have noticed that David from Wisper spends a lot of time on this forum, dealing with customers' concerns. Considering that we, the Pedelec forum, represent a only fraction of the Ebike buying population, that's impressive customer care. As someone has already mentioned, that level of customer service and back up delivers a certain measure of reassurance for the customer, and that has a very real value.

ps I notice that the Ebay seller has only been around for 5 months
This is an interesting aspect of the issues raised tillson.

Assuming someone has taken the initiative of importing a container load of ebikes with reasonable specs, and can still market them for less than similarly specified models of a well known brand, and still make a profit, then this surely raises general questions regarding price structure and margins?

Incidentally, I have no connection to Ciphy (or any other company), nor am I about to make a purchase. I just occasionally survey the bike field, and I'm often quite shocked by what is revealed.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi again Cogs

I do understand your points.

However......

There is so much that can sway the price when choosing the components for an electric bike. For instance a cheap alloy frame can be bought for under £7.00 whereas a decent one will cost more than ten times that. Cheap suspension forks can cost as little as £6.50 with top end forks costing over £100.00. This applies with all components from the smallest fastening to the battery.

We choose components based on how we need the bikes to perform.

For example, we will be relaunching our 905eco later in the year which will retail for about £1100.00 (with RST forks rather than zoom) we also have the 906xc Tourer which retails well at £2,499. The bikes look similar and we make a smaller margin on the XC tourer than any other bike. When buying anything you must consider all aspects, especially the quality of build, components and after sales service.

Best regards

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry to bang on but another component that seems insignificant but can make all the difference in the world to the longevity, performance and cost of an electric bike are the electrical connections.

We now pay up to £5.00 for each of our most important connectors, cheap versions are available for pennies.

Electric bike building really is a mine-field, I don't think anyone is making significant profits on electric bikes. All the decent suppliers are trying at the same time to keep bike prices low and quality and reliability high. Tough work!

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's a world of difference in the margin necessary to shift a batch of e-bikes online with a "warranty" and then disappear as most of the new names have done over time, and the margin necessary to stay in business years after year and give first class long term support as Wisper do.

Wisper sell their bikes through dealers of course, giving further support on a local level, something which an ebay seller doesn't provide, and since the dealer is not a charity, he needs some margin as well in order to support the product.

And there's also a lot of difference between a cheap Phylion li-ion 10 Ah battery and the 14 Ah li-polymer one on a Wisper which is the best available, made by the Advanced Battery Company. They both work when new, but at 18 months or 300 charges old it is often a very different story.

Those things together easily justify the price difference, but of course anyone is free to choose what they feel is the best for them. I see nothing wrong in companies having different selling models since they widen consumer choice, and that is important. The technically proficient might feel the ebay option is worth any inherent risk, but for those who are not able to provide their own maintenance and need full support, the retailed option is obviously worth the extra to give peace of mind and long product life.

And it should not be forgotten that the Wisper has an excellent resale value, something little known names do not share.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Cogs, points taken, but I think the point you are avoiding is that you are NOT comparing apples with apples.

Try it this way: if the eBay seller WAS flogging Wispers for £750 that Wisper were selling for £1500, that's apples. And assuming he was just making £50 per bike, and hadn't nicked the lot, then it would be worth taking a chance, even though he might not be around in six months to help if your Wisper clapped out.

I want a new cooker. The model I want is a Hotpoint, recommended by Which? Comet want £550 for it; discount stores want £380. Same model, same make, possibly not the same warranty. I'm going to buy it from my local electrical store for £400. They've been there for years, and the odds are they'll be there in a year or two's time as well.

The internet is great, as long as you use it wisely, but not every cheap price is a bargain.

A.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Plus I think you need an eye test it looks nothing like a Wisper:rolleyes: