Wisper or Gepida

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Which bits? I get bearings from Wisper but an LBS should be able to match them up, I don't think you'll get sealed bearings to retrofit.
You shouldn't need to remove the fixed cup, all the work is done from the other side.
I have had to replace the bottom bracket bearings twice already, and have to regrease them at least once a month (or when it sounds like a pepper mill which ever is sooner) - Halfords have off the peg brearings that do the job. Also the bearings in the peddles need regular attention and most recently sand managed to get inside the freewheel - a soak in degreaser seemed to do the trick but it felt a bit loose afterwards.

It's a pain in the arse to clean the fixed cup from the otherside but it can be done...

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
by bearings do you just mean the circular bit with the steel balls in?

if the cups ever have to be replaced eventually, (as many of my maintenance books say), what tool is needed to remove the fixed one?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Yup, just the bearings in the cage - the sand eats away at them pretty quick and the cages wear thin and spring open.

As for the fixed cup I did ask a while back but didn't get much joy so made a tool for it, just a bit of brass hex bar that fits through the cup, hole drilled through and pin pressed into hole.

My fixed cup looks like this...

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
It's definatley a pain in respect of the increase in maintainance and premature wear but it's a joy - no cars, no junctions, no traffic lights, no hills, just sun, sea and sand.

Well, sea and sand and wind and rain...

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Replacement sealed bottom brakets should be available for a Whisper they are a fairly standard component. You can also get replacement cups for them which have dust seals fitted.
As to the need to service them regularly, if they are set correctly they should pretty much last the life of the bike, or at least many thousands of miles. I have 9 customers who still have rod brakes on their bikes, complete with original Sturmies (all but one) in good working order.
I replace more sealed bottom brackets than loose ones.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Replacement sealed bottom brakets should be available for a Whisper they are a fairly standard component. You can also get replacement cups for them which have dust seals fitted.
As to the need to service them regularly, if they are set correctly they should pretty much last the life of the bike, or at least many thousands of miles. I have 9 customers who still have rod brakes on their bikes, complete with original Sturmies (all but one) in good working order.
I replace more sealed bottom brackets than loose ones.
I guess on average I get about 3000 miles between BB problems, I've had to replace 2 sets of bearings so far and tighten them up about 3 or 4 times.
I'll find out the difference soon as I have a new Wisper the sealed bearings on order.