Wisper Police bike image

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
For any of you that may be interested, here is another of our 2009 projects ready for the market.

Panniers and stripes are yet to be added but here is the first one off the line.

police+bike+20090402+2 -100kb.jpg

All the best David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
And flashing blue headlight? :D
those (and sirens!) are readily available as aftermarket items for a variety of bikes - any website of emergency service kit and supplies usually has them.

They aren't cheap though, costing several hundred pounds....

I wonder how long before a Wisper features on "Road Wars?"

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Justs don't make it faster than a 905se, I need to be able to outrun the buggers.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
For any of you that may be interested, here is another of our 2009 projects ready for the market.

Panniers and stripes are yet to be added but here is the first one off the line.

View attachment 664

All the best David
I thought the police bikes were to be twin motored - or is that for police forces outside the UK?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Twin motors

I thought the police bikes were to be twin motored - or is that for police forces outside the UK?
Hi Danny we did make a twin motored bike but the expense and complexity mad the new 500w Bafang a better option.

So we now limit them to 250 or 500w rear hub motor.

All the best David

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi Danny we did make a twin motored bike but the expense and complexity mad the new 500w Bafang a better option.

So we now limit them to 250 or 500w rear hub motor.

All the best David
I was wondering - since when did being a policeman entitle anyone to ride a bike which would otherwise be illegal in the UK?

The police have specific dispensations relating to statutory speed limits under well-defined conditions - but that's not the same thing at all.

Rog.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
True, with 500W they would have to arrest themselves for riding a illegal vehicle :D

Seriously though I think 250W motors would still be legal in this country (aren't they the same as a "civillian" Wisper?) and the 500W is intended for foreign police forces which were also a planned market - probably the donut-chompers across the pond who could do with extra power to shift their weight around :D

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
True, with 500W they would have to arrest themselves for riding a illegal vehicle :D

Seriously though I think 250W motors would still be legal in this country (aren't they the same as a "civillian" Wisper?) and the 500W is intended for foreign police forces which were also a planned market - probably the donut-chompers across the pond who could do with extra power to shift their weight around :D
Well, fair enough, though I wouldn't be surprised to find the police over here bending the rules if they thought they could get away with it. We'll just have to see, won't we? I suspect they would not get away with it for long - there are probably enough knowledgeable people about (not a few on here) who would pick up on what they were riding - and such a secret would be bound to slip out, would it not?

Interesting that they would have to stick to a level playing field - they can drive very fast cars at insane speeds within the law, but the e-bike will surely defeat them. The only edge they could possibly have would be a high level of fitness.

They're already scoring in London on standard (but well specified) MTBs in dealing with the more anti-social of the cycling fraternity by having fit and enthusiastic cycling coppers - not, apparently, a contradiction in terms! Personally, although I'm not a great lover of the police in general these days, I do support THAT initiative. At least it proves that they're not all fat lazy bastards chasing performance statistics rather than crooks.

Rog.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to find the police over here bending the rules if they thought they could get away with it.

Rog.
There's one good reason they couldn't use illegally powered bikes Rog, it's illegal for any supplier to sell them in the UK or EU. No supplier would dare take the risk of selling them to the police!

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
There's one good reason they couldn't use illegally powered bikes Rog, it's illegal for any supplier to sell them in the UK or EU. No supplier would dare take the risk of selling them to the police!
I didn't know it was illegal to sell them - just that it would be illegal to use them where the public normally have access. I doubt there would be any problem in such an item being purchased for private use. There are already many vehicles being imported and sold for such purposes - mini-motorbikes and quad bikes for use by children, but still being engine powered. You can buy an Optibike here too, if you have deep enough pockets. You would only need type approval or registration to use one on non-private land.

Note that our friends at Wisper have been supplying bikes with a green button to allow the assist speed to be increased, though they take pains to point out that it's 'for off road use only'. That loophole may well be closed before long, although I feel sure they will be able to make the modification still available by means of a wire link.

I don't suppose you would be breaking any laws by selling a bike with a 500 watt motor to the police, as long as no-one could argue that they were not made aware that what they were buying would be illegal on public roads. Of course, it could not happen! I'm not suggesting that it could - for one reason only, as I have said - they would not get away with it.

Rog.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Well, fair enough, though I wouldn't be surprised to find the police over here bending the rules if they thought they could get away with it. We'll just have to see, won't we? I suspect they would not get away with it for long - there are probably enough knowledgeable people about (not a few on here) who would pick up on what they were riding - and such a secret would be bound to slip out, would it not?

Interesting that they would have to stick to a level playing field - they can drive very fast cars at insane speeds within the law, but the e-bike will surely defeat them. The only edge they could possibly have would be a high level of fitness.

They're already scoring in London on standard (but well specified) MTBs in dealing with the more anti-social of the cycling fraternity by having fit and enthusiastic cycling coppers - not, apparently, a contradiction in terms! Personally, although I'm not a great lover of the police in general these days, I do support THAT initiative. At least it proves that they're not all fat lazy bastards chasing performance statistics rather than crooks.

Rog.
Society gets the police it deserves.

I'm not fat, lazy or a bastard and I choose not to judge you by your posts as tempting as it may be.

The thirty officer I manage are a cross section of society, old, young, experienced, inexperienced, hardworking, lazy, easygoing, intense, married, single, gay, straight, black, white, men, women.

All come to work everyday and do their bit together despite their differences, despite edicts from HMGov, despite the madness of middle England, the Daily Mail, the threat of personal harm and abuse.

Last week my youngest lad picked up two severed feet from the side of a railway line, they belonged to a 70yr old man who had jumped from a packed station platform.

The young copper went and told they guys widow what had happened and found the suicide note...............

What have you done today to help the UK be a better place to live ?

Dailymotion - Depeche Mode - Walking In My Shoes, une vidéo de lebordeluche. depeche, mode, walking, shoes

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
250 or 500

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys.

The 500W are for the US and Canadian market where all the Wispers carry the 500W motor 650W being the maximum allowed, the Police bikes for the UK and EU are all 250W.

I do agree however that electric bikes of any power can be sold in EU countries but for off road use only. I believe that there is no difference between this or selling a car without head lights or indicators in the EU for off road use otherwise motor racing would come to an abrupt end.

I am certainly not 100% about this but it seems logical.

Best regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, bikes of excess power can be sold here for private land use, but not knowingly for public road use. It follows that no supplier is going to supply the police with overpowered bikes.