Wisper saddle

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Apart from the bell (which was removed without so much as a 'ting'), I really didn't like the saddle on the Wisper - more like an old fashioned tractor seat and despite that, not all that comfortable...

I've replaced mine with a 'Freeride Saddle' from Halfords which looks much better (being fairly narrow, but not TOO narrow) and it is a lot more comfortable as it's well padded, though not obviously so. Well, for me it is, also being somewhat narrow in that area.

If your posterior is, shall we say, in proportion to the OEM saddle, then the standard Wisper offering might actually suit you better - these things are entirely a matter of personal preference after all. Not in any way intended as a criticism of what's fitted as standard, therefore, just a suggestion of one possible place where you might look if like me you wanted a little cheap customisation.

Rog.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Men and women have different hips and need different saddles so the saddle that comes with a bike is unlikely to be the best fit and the Wisper saddle is more of a womans saddle shape, it worked quite well though and I got about 3000 miles out of it before I felt the need to change.

Last edited:

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
Brooks is the way forwards. Handmade leather and once it's broken in, it moulds to your butt.:eek: And I think you mean Gel Wotwozere, I don't think a seat made from jelly would last very long.:eek:

Brian-Lopes

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2008
I like gel saddles, think they are very comfortable. Also try using padded cycling shorts, that helps make the ride much more comfortable.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Grumpy

What do you know about jelly seats, my friend got one already

Thx

Bob

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Brooks is the way forwards. Handmade leather and once it's broken in, it moulds to your butt.:eek: And I think you mean Gel Wotwozere, I don't think a seat made from jelly would last very long.:eek:
I'd love a leather saddle but there's no way I'm carrying around a shower cap to cover it up every time I park and unfortunatley a covered saddel will probably scream "Steal me!" to every passing set of light fingers. :(
A Brooks non-leather will be on my shopping list soon I suspect but not the interesting looking comfort ones.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Didn't work for me :( I remember when I was 8 and coming back from somewhere I stuck my head out of the back window and redecorated the back half of my dad's Jaguar Mk 8. I did warn him "I'm gonna blow chunks, Dad!" Head out of window at his suggestion - but I did wonder why he swerved toward the lampost as I stuck my head out :eek: (Ooo, kidding).

He stopped at the next garage to hose it off all the time moaning to the garage attendant (not self-serve in those days) about me hurling everywhere.

I was sick on a boat once and some guy came up and said "Weak stomach?" I said "Leave it out, I'm chucking it 6 feet!"

Vikki.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
He stopped at the next garage to hose it off all the time moaning to the garage attendant (not self-serve in those days) about me hurling everywhere.
Just like the garage attendant moaned to the next customer about someone leaving a load of puke on the floor of his forecourt. :D

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I'd love a leather saddle
When I was in my teens I had a leather racing saddle on the road bike I had - I liked that but it didn't like to get wet and in order to keep it looking good it had to be covered when it rained, so they're not entirely practical. Perhaps that's why you never see them these days.

I wonder whether there might be some hi-tech treatment which would keep water out of the material. I know there are things which help, but leather can easily soak up several times its own weight in water and when that happens it needs care to dry it out without it becoming stiff or mouldy, and a saddle can lose its shape very easily when it gets soaked.

To forestall any comment (fat chance, I know), a liking for leather is a relatively harmless perversion! ;)

Rog.