wisper strange battery issue!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Isla,

Thanks, I will have a word!

Batteries are always much happier when they are used regularly. After 4 years with very little use and long periods of being left discharged any battery will suffer.

We would be happy to check the battery over for you and if it’s dead we could certainly offer you a new battery with a discount if that helps.

We would also be happy to test the second hand battery you’ve been offered. If it’s been used regularly and not left for long periods without a charge it will be fine and it seems like a bargain.

Your bike is not useless it needs a replacement battery.

All the best, David

Toddy

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2024
I've got 2 Samsung 575 batteries that have just been confirmed as need to be replaced. Both won't charge, they are 6 years old and have been unused for some time. Do Samsung not offer a Trade in for the old batteries. Best price I've found for a new 575 battery is £425, but even if they are new and unused, how do you know that they haven't been sat on a shelf for 2 or 3 years deteriorating.

Reactions: isla

isla

Pedelecer
May 30, 2020
I have bought a second hand battery but
I’m trying to also have my own repaired. Spoke to an electronic engineer who was very surprised there’s no wiring diagram or information inside the battery.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've got 2 Samsung 575 batteries that have just been confirmed as need to be replaced. Both won't charge, they are 6 years old and have been unused for some time. Do Samsung not offer a Trade in for the old batteries. Best price I've found for a new 575 battery is £425, but even if they are new and unused, how do you know that they haven't been sat on a shelf for 2 or 3 years deteriorating.
They're not Samsung batteries, they're batteries with Samsung cells. It's easy to check what's wrong and probably easy to fix. All you need is a screwdriver and a £5 meter - plus the will to learn something.

Reactions: isla

isla

Pedelecer
May 30, 2020
They're not Samsung batteries, they're batteries with Samsung cells. It's easy to check what's wrong and probably easy to fix. All you need is a screwdriver and a £5 meter - plus the will to learn something.
I agree, I have 12 dead cells, so far managed to recover 6 using a psu. The other 6 might have to be replaced as they are very low & weirdly show the negative and positive wrongly on volt meter. Join a FB electronics group for help, lots of very educated people.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Changing battery cells in a old six year old pack is a waste of time and money as the new cells will be proping up the older cells and compensating for the old cells short comings.
As for farcebook one is best to leave alone when it comes to battery info.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

isla

Pedelecer
May 30, 2020
Changing battery cells in a old six year old pack is a waste of time and money as the new cells will be proping up the older cells and compensating for the old cells short comings.
As for farcebook one is best to leave alone when it comes to battery info.
Don’t know how you come to that conclusion, why should a Facebook user that’s an electronic engineer not be so informative as you? If you are qualified what does it matter which forum you comment on?

PS : I have another 2 batteries that are older than my wisper one and don’t need replacing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any one worth their salt would join a good forum and apply their knowledge with their peers and not on a face less platform full of dodge pots. With farcebook if you disagree to much or call some one out on bad advice generally after a while one it has been known where folks will get blacklisted , then who calls out the dodge pots.

Last edited:

isla

Pedelecer
May 30, 2020
Any one worth their salt would join a good forum and apply their knowledge with their peers and not on a face less platform full of dodge pots. With farcebook if you disagree to much or call some one out on bad advice generally after a while one it hs been known where folks will get blacklisted , then who calle out the dodge pots.
That’s very small minded. Like every other forum there’s good and bad posts. I do though have to agree with some that the cost of the bikes should at least have branded name batteries instead of cheap Chinese crap.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
That’s very small minded. Like every other forum there’s good and bad posts. I do though have to agree with some that the cost of the bikes should at least have branded name batteries instead of cheap Chinese crap.
I think he is right about many forums and certainly about individual posters - and it isn't just facebook where this happens. I spent some time a couple of years ago on a motorbike forum and some of the advice and modifications that were being confidently expounded there were absolutely wrong and sometimes dangerous. I used to argue against the worst examples and point out the flaws, but they people who were advocating the stuff, just double down and tell you you are wrong. They were usually about 18 and had been riding / maintaining a motorbike for about nine months. I had my first motorbike in 1967 and have always had and ridden at least one since then. In the end, I just left them to it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's one good thing about this forum , there are users here who will call out bad advice or prompt advice in the right direction.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Toddy, sorry but currently, to my knowledge, there is no trade-in available for old batteries, in deed as a provider we have to declare how many batteries we put onto the market and pay a disposal fee for every one we sell. We then pay for the disposal of depleted batteries/battery cells, this costs more than £20.00 each.

The Bicycle Association is just about to launch a scheme where you can take old, spent batteries into a member’s bike shop and put them into an appropriate disposal bin, they will be collected FOC and sent off for recycling in Germany.

In our extensive experience, batteries will last many years if looked after properly, we have 10 year old batteries in the market still going strong and I’m sure other brands do too. The most important housekeeping anyone can do is to recharge batteries whenever possible and NEVER EVER leave batteries in a discharged state for more than a DAY OR TWO. In our experience we find that people that use their bikes on a daily basis have batteries that last for many years. Whereas those that arrive home after an autumn ride, leave the bike in the shed over winter with a flat battery then try and charge them again the following spring, have the most problems. Of course only very few ever people admit to doing this!

We buy batteries as we need them, to fit into bikes that have been built earlier. We have just been sent 200 375 batteries that were built in Portugal last week with LG cells, LG are based in S Korea, we will be offering the possibility to extend the warranty up to 36 month on these.

Samsung cells are made all over Asia with 75% of all branded and non branded cells being made in China.

At Wisper any battery held in stock for longer than 30 days are recharged to 80% to ensure they are in top condition before they go to new customers.

All the best, David

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Bicycle Association is just about to launch a scheme where you can take old spent batteries into a member’s bike shop and put them into an appropriate disposal bin, they will be collected FOC and set off for recycling in Germany.
Good to learn of this David. I've known of Belgium having a lithium battery reycling plant for a few years but no way of getting them there.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I reckon there will quite a few EAPC's and ebikes that have come out of hibernation today and likely there will be a few disappointed fair weather riders with batteries that are either dead or won't charge.