Wisper Wayfarer H7 review

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
Happy to say after a week and 50+ miles, the Wayfarer has been an excellent choice of e-bike with the bigger 700Wh battery fitted.

Riding a mix of canal towpaths, cycle paths and road, the Wayfarer needed a few turns on the preload for the bumpy canal path with the suspension being quite soft, but it copes ok and allows an easy sit up and relax ride position.

Controls are nice and easy to use, gears shift perfect every time, brakes are adequate but you'd struggle to lock the rear wheel, and don't forget the bike weighs around 60lb with the 700Wh battery fitted.

I've had a few teething problems but most have been fixed now by myself, i'd advise going over the bike checking everything is tight etc.

Things like the tyres are really good, roll well, nice and wide and seem to have good grip in the dry, haven't tried in the wet yet.

The colours are nice too, very deep glossy finish in the blue and cherry red, i'd be happy with either colour but we chose blue as that was the bike ready to go.

Eco mode will assist at a low power input level, it's what i've ridden 50+ miles in and is a good balance between getting good exercise and the motor adding a little help on the side, Touring mode will push the bike up to it's 15.5mph assist limit comfortably with minimal pedal input swaying the balance to more motor than pedal power, the Sport and Turbo mode are next level.....you just need to spin the pedals slowly and the bike will propel itself along at a good turn of speed!

A few of the not-so-good things i've found with the Wayfarer......

The LCD is too bright at night, there's no adjustment on brightness and it affects your night vision a lot.

The front brake hose routing means it will rub against the fork stantion, ours has already marked the stantion after only a week, i've glued a small patch of rubber by the guide at the top of the lower fork leg this evening to keep it away from the stantion.

The seat is not good, it's uncomfortable after 5mins but then just stays uncomfortable from then on. We've already changed it to another seat.

No time/clock on the LCD display, and you can't choose to keep odometer on the display, each time you press the button for max speed, average speed etc it will also change it to trip distance etc so to have odometer you have to have the average speed display showing, be nice to have the option of having current speed and odometer together.

Odd clunk noise from bottom bracket on crank rotation, happens randomly every 5 minutes or so, felt through both the pedals either with load or no load, not wheel/drivetrain or pedals related, its to do with rotation of the crank. Hasn't got better or worse so keeping an eye on that.

No bottle mounts.

Couple of other typical bike related issues but most likely just down to my individual bike.

Regarding the display not showing the time, I've fitted my own clock on the main downtube.

I've fitted my own rear rack which has transformed the usefulness of the bike, our plan is to buy a wicker front mounted one as it's a shared bike i can't have it all my own way!

Remember to put an 18mm spanner in your tool kit for the rear wheel should you get a puncture.

2 year warranty is peace of mind, for the price of £1,939 i think the Raleigh Motus range is comparable, but the Tour model i think was near £2,100 so the Wisper offers a lot of bike for the money, especially with that huge 700Wh 43V battery giving impressive range and power from the rear hub motor propelling you along.

Attachments

Last edited:

IwanEllis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2019
This is great to hear, ordered a crossbar tour version. How did you manage to get a rear hub so soon... I ordered in April and am still waiting. Really

As a heavier (much) rider I'm glad it has plenty of oomf as I had been tempted during the delay to cancel and go for the higher torque Forme Peake Trail 3E.

I do somewhat regret not ordering the city bars, as they look a little more upright. Thanks for the pic, the real life pics (non studio) really help see the colour.

Guess it's still a waiting game for me. Matter of weeks hopefully

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
This is great to hear, ordered a crossbar tour version. How did you manage to get a rear hub so soon... I ordered in April and am still waiting. Really

As a heavier (much) rider I'm glad it has plenty of oomf as I had been tempted during the delay to cancel and go for the higher torque Forme Peake Trail 3E.

I do somewhat regret not ordering the city bars, as they look a little more upright. Thanks for the pic, the real life pics (non studio) really help see the colour.

Guess it's still a waiting game for me. Matter of weeks hopefully
We actually popped into our local Wisper dealer to buy the 705SE, but they had 4 new Wayfarers in stock, this blue 700Wh bike was already built and ready to ride away, another was still boxed up, a red one was sold and another reserved so we just got lucky!

It has ample torque, I wouldn't worry about your weight, it has a lot of oomph in Tour mode let alone the higher Sport and Turbo mode.

I forgot to mention the hub motor is very quiet too.
I'm alternating riding this Wayfarer and my Boardman Team Carbon road bike on my commute.

The only extra cost has been adding it onto our home insurance, they stipulate it has to be a Sold Secure Gold rated lock and fixed to an immovable object.
I've ended up buying an Oxford Sold Secure Gold rated ground anchor, Kryptonite New York 18ML D-Lock, and out the front of our house I've fitted a wall anchor just for this e-bike.
Well over £140 in total I wasn't expecting to spend as I already have security but it didn't meet the insurance criteria.

IwanEllis

Nov 14, 2019
We actually popped into our local Wisper dealer to buy the 705SE, but they had 4 new Wayfarers in stock, this blue 700Wh bike was already built and ready to ride away, another was still boxed up, a red one was sold and another reserved so we just got lucky!

It has ample torque, I wouldn't worry about your weight, it has a lot of oomph in Tour mode let alone the higher Sport and Turbo mode.

I forgot to mention the hub motor is very quiet too.
I'm alternating riding this Wayfarer and my Boardman Team Carbon road bike on my commute.

The only extra cost has been adding it onto our home insurance, they stipulate it has to be a Sold Secure Gold rated lock and fixed to an immovable object.
I've ended up buying an Oxford Sold Secure Gold rated ground anchor, Kryptonite New York 18ML D-Lock, and out the front of our house I've fitted a wall anchor just for this e-bike.
Well over £140 in total I wasn't expecting to spend as I already have security but it didn't meet the insurance criteria.
Thanks for the info.

Despite my frustration at constant (covid related) setbacks and delays, being lost in the ordering system and change of colours from the original release (gutted, I loved the misty blue) I can't wait to get one.

My dealer only has the mid drive version unfortunately and until they had one I was buying blindx which was scary.

Crossing everything for next week delivery.

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
We've owned our Wayfarer for 2 weeks, so far covering 73 miles and it's been great! I've sorted out any niggles that have been found, fitted a rear carrier, handlebar mirror,comfier seat etc and generally made it our own.

Now considering a second electric bike after my girlfriend showed me up yesterday riding it, I was on my Boardman Team Carbon road bike against a strong headwind, she breezed along riding the Wayfarer, yet I was really struggling at times to keep pace with her!

Reactions: IwanEllis

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
Just a quick update after owning it 2 months, been riding it to work few days a week and my partner riding it the weekend when it's sunny, we'll go for a short ride locally together.

Only little things have needed doing, like adjusting the rear derailleur cable as it stretched slightly, pump tyres up every few weeks, the biggest improvement to comfort was tilting the seat back 2 notches from horizontal, both me and my partner found it much more comfortable like that.
I fitted a zefal bar end mirror which is brilliant, stays in place and is nice and clear/vibration free.
Eco and Tour mode are the most used, Sport and Turbo are overkill, and not used/needed.
Battery range(700wh) in theory, works out anywhere from 70-100 miles using Eco and Tour modes, going by how many miles I ride until each battery segment goes out, tho we do charge up the battery every couple of weeks with a part-charge to roughly 80% so it's more an educated guess on its full range.

Main downside is the hefty 28kg weight. I have to carry it up a flight of stairs at work and it's heavy!! 60lb is a lot of weight. When riding the bike, the weight disappears so it's not an issue any other time.

The stock tyres are actually really good!
They grip well, roll well and add a good amount of cushioning to the ride thanks to their width.
I've fitted my own rear rack which is brilliant, it's used all the time. I'd class that as a necessity now I've got one!

Niggles which annoy me......

Front brake pads sound a little bit gritty, might take them out and flat them off, see if that helps.

The LCD is too bright at night, Wisper replied today saying there's currently no way to dim it. Riding early hours in the morning and back home late afternoon after finishing work when it's dark, it ruins my night vision, I have to cover the glare with my hand sometimes.

Rear brake is weak, it is a 60lb bike so maybe I'm expecting too much...

You can't select the LCD to display total distance and current speed at the same time, you only have the default options, so can't change which combination to display.
Showing current speed it will display your trip distance too.

Oddly, if you turn off the LCD display first, you then cannot turn the battery off?? Is that normal?
Only done it once, as I always press the illuminated button on the battery to turn everything off, it's strange if you turn LCD off first it won't let you turn the battery itself off.

So there you go, very minor niggles/oddities aside, overall the Wayfarer is brilliant, it's a nice comfortable bike, has good ergonomics, powerful motor, long battery range, decent tyres, good mudguards, bright lights, luggage capacity is ace, smooth precise gears.

Has anyone else got one yet??

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the fantastic review!

We are are aware of your niggles around the LCD and are in the process of reprogramming. When this is done you can send in your display and we will ship a new one out to you. We are working on this as fast as we can and hope to have a resolution in the next two weeks.

If you have problems with the brakes please let me know.

It would be great to get a pic?!

All the best, David

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
Hi David!

That would be great, just let me know when they're ready to ship out.

Glad you liked the review, it's our first venture into e-bikes and think we've chosen really well with the Wayfarer.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review which I only found out last week, that the sidestand is adjustable in length!! Never knew that! Really nice touch.

Here's a photo of the Wayfarer at my work.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

gerrym11

Nov 19, 2020
Thanks for this detailed review and the great pictures. I placed my order for a Wayfarer H7 today :)

Cheers

Gerry

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
Awesome! They're excellent bikes, not sure I mentioned it but the paint job is really good, looks nice and thick and lovely glossy shine. It's such a comfy bike to ride.
When are you expecting to get it? I'm presuming there's a waiting list?

gerrym11

Nov 19, 2020
Awesome! They're excellent bikes, not sure I mentioned it but the paint job is really good, looks nice and thick and lovely glossy shine. It's such a comfy bike to ride.
When are you expecting to get it? I'm presuming there's a waiting list?
The waiting list is not too bad, should get it in mid-December. I saw a blue one earlier in the week, lovely paint finish. Can't wait !!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We are finishing 101 next week and are building another 786 during December so all the backlog will be finished by the end of the year! At Last!

New mass build starts in March 2021 but most of the 2021 bikes have been pre ordered by dealers.

All the best, David

gerrym11

Nov 19, 2020
We are finishing 101 next week and are building another 786 during December so all the backlog will be finished by the end of the year! At Last!

New mass build starts in March 2021 but most of the 2021 bikes have been pre ordered by dealers.

All the best, David
Hope mine is in that 101 David? :) :)