Wisper Wayfarer - hard to ride

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller types depend on the system used a simple cadence type PAS uses either speed control or current control, the latter is far more user friendly. Experiences of the two are generally chalk and cheese. Both systems don't rely on torque /rider pressure on the pedals but just simple every day rotation.

Other type of PAS system is the torque multiplier/TM not to be confused with current control. Torque multiplier relies on the rider to be able to give good power input, it then senses the ride pressure/input and multiplies this up to 300%. this in the main domain of intergrated mid drive motors on most of the major brands though TM is also available on hub drive bikes.
Suntour HESC is one such system and has it's faults, there are also bike kits available that use TM these use special controllers and replacement bottom bracket or like the kit Woosh was selling a controller integrated in to the crank wheel unit supplied.

Tim@Wisper

Trade Member
May 6, 2021
Well thoughts change with experience.

What a horrible and possibly dangerous electric system speed control is. I didn't get a bike for it to dictate to me that I should be riding at a certain speed.

We rode about 14 miles today down mainly quiet single track country roads, she has a Batribike and her speed control works to different speeds to mine, how on earth do you ride together? In the end I switched mine off after an incident with a passing car. I was on the "tour" setting which works to keep you at around 10.6MPH. I stopped to let a car passed (coming towards us) but then needed to pull forward to the left to give him a bit more room. Used the pedals a little bit and it was off, slammed the brakes on but the motor was still at full power for a second or so, good job the bike was not directed towards the car or the ditch that was at the side of the road. In my opinion dangerous and a real safety issue. The only plus point is that I've now got a e-bike with infinite battery range!

As Neath and VFR400 have indicated, e-bikes should all have a torque sensor instead of a speed controller. I'm not 100% certain how a speed controller can be described as "assist" as all as it does it force you to ride at a certain speed unless you want to keep stopping the pedals.

I strongly suggest to anyone considering an electric bike that they try both a speed controller and a torque sensor and consider the enviroment that they will be using the bike before deciding what's right. Don't buy a bike without a test ride regardless of Covid "rules". I'm not sure how people go on with speed controller e-bikes in city traffic, it must be a nightmare!
Hello Dag,
Very sorry to hear of your issue. The Wayfarer H7 uses a cadence system so as soon as you turn the pedals the power will kick in. However, the motor should stop as soon as you stop pedalling, therefor I'm very surprised to hear the motor was still going. Please contact the dealer you purchased the bike from to investigate and we will get this issue resolved for you as this is not how a Wisper bike is expected to perform.
All the best
Tim

Reactions: Muddyfox

MichaelM

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2020
Hello Dag,
Very sorry to hear of your issue. The Wayfarer H7 uses a cadence system
I don't know how pertinent it is, but Dag1 says he has an H9.

Tim@Wisper

Trade Member
May 6, 2021
I don't know how pertinent it is, but Dag1 says he has an H9.
Very sorry my mistake. The H7 and H9 are just the two different frame shapes of our wayfarer hub drive so doesn't affect performance.

all the best

Reactions: MichaelM

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
....no brake sensors. (The sensors will be at the lever not at the brakes themselves.) Your complaint above about such a setup is very pertinent.

Was it the Wisper Wayfarer H9 that had the problems you described in pose #15? I'm not sure what the control arrangements are on that, but it seems very unlikely Wisper would have one with the unsafe setup you described.
I know this is an old thread but it's a current bike in the Wisper range so i think its worth confirming his safety issues, our Wisper Wayfarer H7 cadence also doesn't have motor cut-off sensors wired into the brake levers.
It's especially unnerving when negotiating bollards or metal barriers at the start of pathways you have to go left, right, left to get through, even more so because this is my girlfriends ebike. Half a turn of the pedals initiates the motor and the brakes don't cut the power so you have a bike trying to lurch forward with vigor for a couple of seconds until the motor cuts.
My Woosh rambletta has the brake lever motor cut off sensors but Wisper doesn't.