Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about the photo? It certainly leaves an impression of a motorcycle.
Yes, carefully chosen, and of course there are many kit bikes like it.

If the Daily Mail type article does have any effect, it's most likely to
kill kit bikes through them having to be submitted for single vehicle approval test before being allowed on the roads. The kit car industry in Britain was killed years ago by restrictive legislation.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
type approval for all kits would be a lower cost option.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I don’t see why bikes in general don’t have some sort of road worthiness test
I’m sure plenty would disagree thou

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The majority of the public are still blissfully ignorant when it comes to electric bikes. I see that Sky news showed a pic of a non-electric bike, a Brompton I believe. I always find them to be a bit of a 'Heath Robinson' looking contraption. At least they said that she'd been hit by an electric bike, and not an illegal electric bike. :rolleyes:

H0533-L09688682.jpg

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Me too, kit bikes include the most dangerously illegal ones on the road and SVA would stop that abuse.
How would MSVA stop the ileagl kits and dongled shop bought bikes ?Registration for all. No number plate = ileagal bike.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
How is that going to stop people who ride dongled bikes and bikes that are not tested.

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk
If your on the road you have a test and a certificate
Tag the bike with a small tag of some sort for identification
If caught on road without you get done like you do with vehicles
Nothing is fool proof but it’s got to help

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How would MSVA stop the ileagl kits and dongled shop bought bikes ?Registration for all. No number plate = ileagal bike.
A plate with approved kits to be affixed in a prominent position. Not perfect but a way for the police to see illegality in many cases and also a deterrent.

I didn't post about dongled shop bought bikes, only about kits having SVA.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and Fat Rat

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
A plate with approved kits to be affixed in a prominent position. Not perfect but a way for the police to see illegality in many cases and also a deterrent.

I didn't post about dongled shop bought bikes, only about kits having SVA.
So you will be able to ride a shop bought dongled bike with no tag/ number plate ? Registration for all is surely the only way.

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
So you will be able to ride a shop bought dongled bike with no tag/ number plate ? Registration for all is surely the only way.
I'd happily accept the s-pedelec requirements with a sensible helmet option if I were to buy an s-class machine. However that isn't going to have made one jot of a difference to the outcome here.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and flecc

Advertisers