Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So you will be able to ride a shop bought dongled bike with no tag/ number plate ? Registration for all is surely the only way.
Of course that the best solution to controlling all illegality, but none of us want that do we?

I, and I think Woosh, were aiming at the worst offenders, the rubbish conversions using cheap Chinese DD motors that are very fast and way over the power limit.

They appeared to be a Daily Mail target too.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and Artstu

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Of course that the best solution to controlling all illegality, but none of us want that do we?

I, and I think Woosh, were aiming at the worst offenders, the rubbish conversions using cheap Chinese DD motors that are very fast and way over the power limit.

They appeared to be a Daily Mail target too.
So how are you going to stop them without a reg plate ?

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why the hell isn't the story to be told about this unfortunate death all about teaching people how to cross the road safely :mad:
Why are all the old government adverts still not on telly
Green cross code etc
Their official name was Public Information Films, and they were cut as part of one of the government economies at the end of 2011 when the Central Office of Information (COI) shut up shop.

All such films are produced by other non-governmental organisations now, like ROSPA for example.

• Informative
Reactions: Fat Rat and Artstu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So how are you going to stop them without a reg plate ?
Why ask? Two of us have said a kit plate is not perfect.

Nothing is, unregistered vehicles run around on false plates, so no doubt some illegal e-bikers would too.

As I posted, the need for a kit plate is a deterrent, no more.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Registration for all is surely the only way.

We are in the mire here in N.I. for various reasons but when registration has previously been suggested I for one (of many to whom I have spoken) totally against the slippery slope as we would effectively be accepting e-bikes as mopeds / motorbikes and being banned from cycle lanes, tow paths etc etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Nefarious and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Tonight riding to work I crossed paths with a sit on electric scooter thing. No pedals, no lights, no helmet on a busy main street...

What more can I say...

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ahh but there are mobility issues and the disability word comes into play. Therefore the pc police forbid you having anything to say about it.
In the supermarket on Saturday there was a woman in a large one of these (sure it was meant for road rather than pavement). As she turned into the till isle her scooter bashed into a display. Without looking or giving any warning she reversed straight into the ankle of a guy passing behind the scooter. She was totally unaware of what had happened. So if we're talking competency tests..........?
This was a wide scooter complete with lights, brake lights and indicators therefore probably one of the 8mph models. What the hell it was doing in a supermarket I don't know. Does it mean I can take my bike in so I can use the panniers? And how heavy are those things? Perhaps I should ask the Daily Mail?

• :D
Reactions: Nefarious

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Pedestrians don't expect filtering. If the traffic is stopped it is clear. Ride defensively not as if you own the road, it is a shared space!
BTW I'm not saying she's completely blameless.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nefarious and Ocsid

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
another silent killer on our roads, where are the Daily fail articles on these

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
another silent killer on our roads, where are the Daily fail articles on these

Yep.. I had a short ride on one of those. Posted a few days ago about it. Learner legal, supposedly 11kw but they show over 35 bhp on dynos and get to sixty well under 4 seconds. They go like stink... Absolutely no comparison to125...(well no learner legal 125 anyway)

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
article in Mail yesterday. Badly written and misleading
Not totally misleading.

"It is completely illegal to use these souped-up machines on British roads, of course, yet traders such as Martin Brown, the owner of the online e-bike shop, have no qualms about selling the equipment"

The above quote from the article seems pretty accurate to me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0157.JPG
RIP 2014-2018 bloody good job it never went while riding it as the valve seal has broken/split.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
In an article that's a long way from the mark one wonders who provided the quote.
The journalist only had to read posts on here and put his own spin on it. Soundwave (the grass)[emoji23] has mentioned Martin plenty of times on here.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
View attachment 26829
RIP 2014-2018 bloody good job it never went while riding it as the valve seal has broken/split.
A sudden front puncture on a 30mph bike would cause some impressive skid marks...
... and on the road as well.[emoji41]

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
A sudden front puncture on a 30mph bike would cause some impressive skid marks...
... and on the road as well.[emoji41]
the rubber has split/broken on the bottom of the valve only put the pump on it and whoosh covered in cow **** lol.

it wont seal so going to change out both of them as fook that going 30mph

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nothing more in the news about this so am thinking its just an unfortunate accident and nothing untoward with the bike,
Yesterday I was in her position in that I was in a hurry heading for a crossing, not traffic light controlled but a dropped kerb and central refuge, up a gradient with my back to the traffic. At the crossing point I momentarily stopped and turned to check for traffic, saw only a bike and thought I could nip across in front of it with ease but I stopped and waited anyway. Had this been an e-bike on the gradient it would have been moving deceptively fast assuming a pedestrian not used to ebikes where a quick glance and nip across could have caused a tumble!

Advertisers