Woman hit by Cyclist awarded a payout

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
As far as insurance is concerned - I thought that my bike was covered for theft on my home insurance.
I rang them up (Tesco - to name and shame) to check and it turns out that bicycles ARE covered - but ebikes are not covered - no matter the value of the bike and ebike.
So they are happy to cover a £1000+ bike - but not a £780 ebike (that is the current sale price of mine or or if you want something newer - my wife's folding Carrera is currently £850)

Which is weird - the person on the phone said he thought it was because ebikes are more of a target for theft.
Anyway - if that is still the case when I renew I will move from them to someone who does not discriminate against ebikes

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
"As far as insurance is concerned - I thought that my bike was covered for theft on my home insurance."

With my house insurance I have specified the ebike under the all risk, so its covered against theft including when away from your home. the only stipulation was to use a gold rated lock.

D

Deleted member 25121

"As far as insurance is concerned - I thought that my bike was covered for theft on my home insurance."

With my house insurance I have specified the ebike under the all risk, so its covered against theft including when away from your home. the only stipulation was to use a gold rated lock.
Does that include personal liability cover?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Hmmmm. I asked the liability question of my insurer LV. This is their response with my email below it:
LV= Response Email 01/10/2018 07.17 PM
Hello Mike,

Thank you for your email.

Public liability cover is provided if you are found negligent in a court of law.

We hope this provides the confirmation that you require, however if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Sophia
Customer Service Representative

LV= Customer Email 01/10/2018 10.46 AM
ATTENTION: External email - This message has been sent from outside LV=.
------------------------------------------
Hi,
I have this year included extra cover for my electrically assisted bicycle but it is not clear to me that the cover extends to public liability when I am using this bike away from home. Can you confirm that this cover does apply please.
Thank you
Mike XXXXXXX
------------------------------
From: LV= Home Insurance Documents <insurance.documents@lv.com> on behalf of LV= Home Insurance Documents <insurance.documents@lv.com>
Reply-To: "insurance.documents@lv.com" <insurance.documents@lv.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 18 at 11:49
To: Mike XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Your LV= Home Insurance for policy XXXXXXXXX

D

Deleted member 25121

Hmmmm. I asked the liability question of my insurer LV. This is their response with my email below it:
LV= Response Email 01/10/2018 07.17 PM
Hello Mike,

Thank you for your email.

Public liability cover is provided if you are found negligent in a court of law.

We hope this provides the confirmation that you require, however if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Sophia
Customer Service Representative

LV= Customer Email 01/10/2018 10.46 AM
ATTENTION: External email - This message has been sent from outside LV=.
------------------------------------------
Hi,
I have this year included extra cover for my electrically assisted bicycle but it is not clear to me that the cover extends to public liability when I am using this bike away from home. Can you confirm that this cover does apply please.
Thank you
Mike XXXXXXX
------------------------------
From: LV= Home Insurance Documents <insurance.documents@lv.com> on behalf of LV= Home Insurance Documents <insurance.documents@lv.com>
Reply-To: "insurance.documents@lv.com" <insurance.documents@lv.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 18 at 11:49
To: Mike XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Your LV= Home Insurance for policy XXXXXXXXX
So the answer is YES, you do have public liability cover.

Do you have insurance to cover your legal costs (costs of lawyers etc) in courts though?

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018

Tesco seemed unwilling to cover an ebike under any circumstances

Given the increase in popularity I would assume that they will change their policy at some point
It is annoying because I checked for bike cover before I took it out - I just missed the bit that says it will not cover a bike with any type of motor of any type
In any case I will have to investigate when it comes up fro renewal.