Help! Woosh bike battery, need help with mounting frog battery, somewhere somehow, safely

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
Hi guys!
I was posting here before when I was looking to get a kit for my tiny 14 inch frame.
I went with the woosh bikes Bafang mid crank kit which works great, but the battery or more like the quality of the mounting kit for the battery is just terrible, rubbish, I'm so disappointed...

Drama with woosh bikes mount, just to let You guys know what exactly happened:
The battery wobbles on the mounting kit about 0.5 cm all the time (pic below) when I'm riding even though it's locked with a key. It seems like a factory fault or something like that, and woosh bikes ignores it in emails, and I spoke with them on the phone and emailed them many times for over a week and the only thing they did is sent me a piece of aluminium to try to mount it on the top tube on the frame, which was terrible, I had to buy extra screws and after 15 minute ride today it almost fell off the bike so I had to mount it back on the handlebar.
Oh and the way it is now on handlebar on a 22 mile ride to work and back I had to stop 8 time to screw the battery mount becouse it was getting loose and with every bum on the road I was scared it will fell off. And today I had to grab a taxi to work that cost me a ton, because this way of mounting that woosh suggested with aluminum bit didn't work at all.

And need a solution to the problem, my ideas:
I really need idea how to mount it somewhere safely so I can just go on and ride without worries.
- I thought about buying a pannier rack and mounting the battery in a bag or something but my bike doesn't have the mount for it on the back triangle as You can see on the 2nd photo.
- I thought about mounting it somehow in the frame triangle but there's no way of fitting it, the battery with the mount is way to tall
- I also thought about getting a handlebar mounted bag or a handlebar basket but I don't know if it's safe enough
I don't have more than 40-45 pounds to solve this - I already went 118pounds over the budget getting this woosh kit because they seem great, the irony...
I have no more ideas and I feel like I just spend 668 pounds on something bought on ebay auction and someone just scr****d me ower.

My bike now:

I would really apreciate any creative ideas that doesn't cost a lot, maybe someone had a similar issue?
I really need help, and don't know what to do and honestly and I need to be able to get to work 4 times a week :(
Thanks, Riley

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
There will be people with a lot more experience fitting kits to help you. But looking at it I would say as the battery is not sitting downwards, there is no weight to keep it secure in the mount. If im correct the movement you describe if the battery was fitted upright would be left to right. Is there no way of mounting it correctly even using like a handlebar accessry extender. Not ideal but its cheap and would get you going, will post a link to give you an idea what I am talking about.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Oh and that's the mount for the battery:
View attachment 41792

It's really low quality and I don't really know how to go about this.
Or is it the silver mount that is moving not the mounting which holds the battery in ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that is the most stupid thing i have ever seen you wont get anything that will hold that much waight on the handle bars. it is the worst place possible.

if you crash it can turn in to a expensive fire ball.

put it in a back pack and look for a bike frame that will better fit that battery as it is huge lol.

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
Or is it the silver mount that is moving not the mounting which holds the battery in ?
It's both.
The screw on the mount keeps loosing up every 2/ 2.5 miles.
The mounting that holds the battery like on the first wobbles even if the mount is tightened really strong.

that is the most stupid thing i have ever seen you wont get anything that will hold that much waight on the handle bars. it is the worst place possible.

if you crash it can turn in to a expensive fire ball.

put it in a back pack and look for a bike frame that will better fit that battery as it is huge lol.
There's literally no need to be mean, I'm asking for help solving that issue.
I'm a 5"1 woman I can't get a bigger frame because I'm too short.
So what would getting a different frame give me apart from loosing money?
And how would I put it in a backpack exactly? it has to be connected with the motor

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Is that a Frog battery? I've seen similar mounted vertically on the seatpost - if the clamp is designed to work vertical that could explain why it's loose on your horizontal handlebars. I have tried fitting things on my bars in the past but find it's the worst place to put extra weight. I would have expected Woosh to be more helpful, hope you get it sorted.

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
Is that a Frog battery? I've seen similar mounted vertically on the seatpost - if the clamp is designed to work vertical that could explain why it's loose on your horizontal handlebars. I have tried fitting things on my bars in the past but find it's the worst place to put extra weight. I would have expected Woosh to be more helpful, hope you get it sorted.
Yes it's a frog battery. I can't mount it on a seat post I'm really short and I would have to put the seat up at least 35cm up to be able to mount it that way. Thanks. I think I'm just going to have to return the battery and think about another battery solution and take a 2 hours train for few weeks before it gets sorted :(

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Yes it's a frog battery. I can't mount it on a seat post I'm really short and I would have to put the seat up at least 35cm up to be able to mount it that way. Thanks. I think I'm just going to have to return the battery and think about another battery solution and take a 2 hours train for few weeks before it gets sorted :(
If thats the case the battery needs rotated 90 degrees, let me look at the extension mount.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im not being mean you have a potential bomb on the handle bars if it hits the floor and brakes the spot wields inside the casing it will go up with 16ft high flames and loose a lot more money!

that bike is for stunt jumping thank god you are not doing back flips over jumps lol.

option 1 get a back pack with some protection for your back.

option 2 is get a frame mount and put it on the crossbar

option 3 get some sort of rear rack to put it on if the frame has the mounts for one but doubt it does.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
One of these clamped onto the seat post with the battery in the bag. I have one on my voodoo Bantu have a look.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Sorry thats the bag on a rack but I also use the beam rack and its solid.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Look like this fitted

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id get that ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suggested to fit the battery to the top tube but I had no idea you were going to fit it to the handlebars.
If you want to have the battery at the front, I would fit a front rack to your bike and attach the battery base to it.

Something like this:

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
im not being mean you have a potential bomb on the handle bars if it hits the floor and brakes the spot wields inside the casing it will go up with 16ft high flames and loose a lot more money!

that bike is for stunt jumping thank god you are not doing back flips over jumps lol.

option 1 get a back pack with some protection for your back.

option 2 is get a frame mount and put it on the crossbar

option 3 get some sort of rear rack to put it on if the frame has the mounts for one but doubt it does.

Oh man , now I'm scared to use it! Also sorry for calling You mean! I just talked to people on reddit who were terrible so I was kind of expecting that anywhere now eh.
I wish I could do backflips haha :) I used to jump around when I was younger...
But now that's the bike I got so I had to transform it in a bike for commuting to work.

I didn't know I could mount a rack without the mounting thingy on frame.
This looks perfect and because it's long I wouldn't have to put my seat to high :)
Thank You!
I found this on amazon that has some support on the frame too:
Do You thing I should try to mount it to the rack and maybe bend this mount (pic below)
and just screw it to the rack or get a bag? Or both

Attachments

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
I suggested to fit the battery to the top tube but I had no idea you were going to fit it to the handlebars.
If you want to have the battery at the front, I would fit a front rack to your bike and attach the battery base to it.

Something like this:

Not sure If I spoke to You over the phone or in email I spoke to 2 different guys?
But I did send photos in the email multiple times and no one told me it's a bad idea, I didn't know. until I was told it could literally explode.
And how would I go with mounting the mount You've provided on that rack?
I think I'm going to go with solution that overlander suggested. This front rack doesn't look like I could mount anything on it, maybe with a bad but that's another cost.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not sure If I spoke to You over the phone or in email I spoke to 2 different guys?
I am Tony and I answer any web site messages and pre-sale kit enquiries.
I work from home, Andy is the one who called you.
In essence, you need a solid platform that is bolted to the bike to mount the battery to.
A seat post rack can take the weight but is not secure enough.
You don't want someone removing the seat post with your battery.
The preferred mounting point for the small frog is the downtube. If this is not possible, then the top tube.
If neither is possible, then a front rack.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Oh man , now I'm scared to use it! Also sorry for calling You mean! I just talked to people on reddit who were terrible so I was kind of expecting that anywhere now eh.
I wish I could do backflips haha :) I used to jump around when I was younger...
But now that's the bike I got so I had to transform it in a bike for commuting to work.

I didn't know I could mount a rack without the mounting thingy on frame.
This looks perfect and because it's long I wouldn't have to put my seat to high :)
Thank You!
I found this on amazon that has some support on the frame too:
Do You thing I should try to mount it to the rack and maybe bend this mount (pic below)
and just screw it to the rack or get a bag? Or both
That rack would do but the advantage MTX has is there is a custom bag that slides onto the rack and its solid. But either would do and the frame struts would add extra strength on the amazon rack, as for mounting you will have to mess about for the best solution.