Help! Woosh bike battery, need help with mounting frog battery, somewhere somehow, safely

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I just ordered one of these earlier today, it should fit on your seatpost without raising it, think I got the last one but for info ...

alternative https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/bag-amp-pannier-racks/zefal-quick-rack-seat-post-mounted-bicycle-adjustable-pannier-luggage-rack-amp-mudguard-alloy-max-5kgs-lc976-8262990212

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want a rear rack, this one should work:

Reactions: soundwave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery won't explode but it is highly likely to be damaged should the bike fall over or you have an off, the position of it for the fixing is just a poor choice. The current position will be bad for bike handling and you will notice this if you reposition it some where else.

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
I am Tony and I answer any web site messages and pre-sale kit enquiries.
I work from home, Andy is the one who called you.
In essence, you need a solid platform that is bolted to the bike to mount the battery to.
A seat post rack can take the weight but is not secure enough.
You don't want someone removing the seat post with your battery.
The preferred mounting point for the small frog is the downtube. If this is not possible, then the top tube.
If neither is possible, then a front rack.
Well I emailed You a week ago with photos of the bike and mounting to handlebars... But doesn't matter now.

I tried mounting it on top tube and it wasn't secure enough, after 15 minute ride the screws weer getting loose.

So the only issue with a seat post rack is security as in that someone can steal it or do You mean that it's just not safe for the battery to be mounted that way? Because safety shouldn't be an issue I work in sci-tech so it's away from the city so I wouldn't worry to much about thiefs.
So I don't mind if it's a front or rear rack, whatever would be safer for the battery really.
Thanks for the links it's much cheaper than the one I found.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can get a rear rack that fits on the seat-stays, but they are quite expensive. It would be much better to mount the battery there rather than on a front rack.

You can't use a cantilever type, like the one shown above because they break unexpectedly due to metal fatigue unless you can find one with a steel clamp and beam. Instead, you could use a hibrid one with struts, like the one below:

This one can be fitted without the beam:

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
if you want a rear rack, this one should work:
Thats almost exactly the same as the one on amazon but over half the price, I thought amazon was cheap, will check elsewhere next time before ordering.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would have expected Woosh to be more helpful, hope you get it sorted.
I've tried. I wrote to Riley 12 emails since 1st April.
I did say to her last Thursday before the Easter break that the battery on the handlebars is OK for testing but not a good solution.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Well I emailed You a week ago with photos of the bike and mounting to handlebars... But doesn't matter now.

this is totally unacceptable woosh you have fooked up big time now sort it out!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
she needed it like yesterday...

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
with the saddle so low those seatpost racks are gonna be very close if not touching the back wheel

That bike is not very well suited to putting that frog battery anywhere, surprised it was recommended

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you are lucky she is not dead going to work on that bike this is the reason why no lbs will touch diy bikes and selling a kit like that for a stunt jumper frame that you have had been sent pics for is just not on at all it is fkn nuts!

what if she did want the frame for doing backflips :(

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
I needed it for yesterday because from yesterday I was coming back to the office and had to have it working to commute. I still need a solution and not temporary, that's why I got this kit and it's really great apart from the mounting issue and this that I feel like the mount is low quality and wobbles a lot - maybe it's on handlebar, but hey that's why I posted here so people might find a solution better than a piece of aluminum.
Today I had to take a taxi to work because I mounted in on top tube like recommended with the aluminum bit You've sent me and it was getting loose so I had to go back home and get to work asap.
I'll have to get a train till it get it secure to ride everyday. But I still need to find a solution and asap because at this point I'm only loosing money.

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
you are lucky she is not dead going to work on that bike this is the reason why no lbs will touch diy bikes and selling a kit like that for a stunt jumper frame that you have had been sent pics for is just not on at all it is fkn nuts!

what if she did want the frame for doing backflips :(
I don't want to have a go at woosh but I was expecting people who are selling me their product to advise me, and I emailed and spoke with them on the phone before ordering.
that's why I'm kind of pissed of it's all taking so long to sort out and just be able to safely go to work without stressing out about how safly things are mounted.
Hey I'm not that silly, wouldn't do backflips even if I could ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
woosh can pay the train fair you can not ride that bike with the batt on the handle bars! it is a death trap!

Reactions: Rileyy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Riley,
You should get a rack for your bike . A front basket or a lockable box sitting on top of the rack can also be used to house the battery.
vfr is in Telford, Peter Brunt is in Manchester. I will check tomorrow if there is someone nearer. If you can bring your bike to them, they should be able to help you sort it.

Reactions: soundwave

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
whoosh can pay the train fair you can not ride that bike with the batt on the handle bars! it is a death trap!
LOL it's fine. I just want to get the battery mounted safely :) but thanks for looking out for me haha.

Riley,
You should get a rack for your bike . A front basket or a lockable box sitting on top of the rack can also be used to house the battery.
vfr is in Telford, Peter Brunt is in Manchester. I will check tomorrow if there is someone nearer. If you can bring your bike to them, they should be able to help you sort it.
The front basket sounds nice, lockable box too, whatever really that's safe - I just can't spend too much money, I'm way over my limit anyway.
Who is where sorry? I'm close to Manchester so I wouldn't have a problem getting there, it would be great to have someone help.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
woosh can pay the train fair you can not ride that bike with the batt on the handle bars! it is a death trap!
Riley contacted me last Thursday 12PM to let me know that she needed the bike sorted by Tuesday this week - I only had hours before we shut down for Easter holiday.
Even so, I wrote to her 11 emails and Andy called her 3 times and all on the same day.
Unless I had her bike in our workshop, I can't do more even if I tried.

Reactions: joelectric

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk