Help! Woosh bike battery, need help with mounting frog battery, somewhere somehow, safely

nobby531

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2018
Western West Mids
I have bought three Bafang mid drives and two batteries from Woosh over the past few years and have recommended them to several other purchasers because they are helpful and are not selling junk.
You do, however, need some mechanical aptitude to fit the motor and even more to fit the battery on a non standard frame. One of mine is on a recumbent and another on a Moulton and I had to fashion plates for both to go between battery shoe and the bike.

Reactions: flecc

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I too have recommended Woosh to other people because of their good reputation - which was borne out by my own experience in dealing with them.

In several parts of their documentation, they are quite explicit in terms of advising that the kits are intended to be fitted by users with a very good mechanical understanding and an ability to work around potential problems.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I will also add we had a problem with our woosh Rambletta, Andy was fantastic with his support. We could not get it fixed with just part swaps. As soon as that was established the bike was picked up the next day. Turn around from memory was less than a week. Bike has performed impeccably since it was returned. I found their support to be first class. In fact so good we are buying a gran Camino when they are back in stock.

Reactions: Jodel and flecc

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Did you get a happy ending Riley? , where did you end up fitting the replacement battery?

FJC71

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2020
Hi
Im late to this but the rear rack solution might have an issue. The rack suggested by Woosh might not be suitable for your bike because of its frame size. Its hard to tell from a pictures for sure but it might foul the rear wheel.

The basic idea is sound but topeak make a specific design to get round this potential issue which differs from the one posted by Woosh.

MTX BEAMRACK (A-TYPE) | Topeak

The Type A rack has a dogleg to avoid the wheel. I would suggest that you also take the biike to a shop that has them to check the fit before purchase, you might be lucky and find that the normal straight type will work.

D

Deleted member 33385

People don't seem to report back on these forums, when their issue is resolved.

• Agree

FJC71

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2020
I was not intending intending to post. I just picked up on those beam rack suggestions, they all looked doubtful. I know with racks generally you have to be careful with clearance in small frames I always double check with stuff like that and you cant trust forums because most people dont seem to pick on the particular issues associated with them.

I just hoped it might head off another unforeseen problem but probably too late now.

D

Deleted member 33385

I was not intending intending to post. I just picked up on those beam rack suggestions, they all looked doubtful. I know with racks generally you have to be careful with clearance in small frames I always double check with stuff like that and you cant trust forums because most people dont seem to pick on the particular issues associated with them.

I just hoped it might head off another unforeseen problem but probably too late now.

You might be right about clearance. Woosh's rack seems to have a way of adjusting angle... whether it was enough, we may find out, if Riley's problem persists.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@ FJC71: I understand what you mean, as her saddle is set quite low but she needs a rack that is bolted to the seat stays for stability and security.
Riley has bought a rack last week, I am waiting for the rack to be fitted.
She has some other engagement this week so it's slightly delayed.

Reactions: FJC71

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

Cantilever racks, like the one you suggested are fine at first, but being aluminium and with the weight of the battery flexing them up and down as you go over bumps, they suffer from metal fatigue, which causes cracks then sudden unexpected failure, probably when you're in the middle of nowhere. I've seen two racks like that broken. You either need a steel clamp and beam, which some of the cheap ones have, or you need struts to stop it from bouncing. If you're handy at DIY, you can make your own struts.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Rileyy

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2021
Manchester
I’ve ordered and mounted one of the racks that woosh and forum recommended. Seems sturdy.
I’M still waiting for woosh to send me the battery and a reply from woosh how to mount it, I think its pretty straightforward but now i rather double check everything

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Here is my suggestion how to mount the battery:

• Informative
Reactions: Rileyy and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
supplied with the battery cradle: 3x M5 dome head bolts, 3x M5 rivnuts, 2 x rubber feet, 2 x M5 oval washers and 1x M5 round washer.
You only need a 7mm drill bit.
Always measure twice before drilling anything.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Probably me having a dim moment, but why riv-nuts?
Why not simply nuts and bolts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rileyy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Probably me having a dim moment, but why riv-nuts?
Why not simply nuts and bolts?
It's for security.
The battery covers the domes of the 3x M5 bolts. There is no way to undo those bolts with rivnuts.
If you have nuts, they can be undone.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Here is my suggestion how to mount the battery:

It's a plank! I'd use pallet wood, which is compressed (sometimes microwaved and compressed) softwood filled with many nasty chemicals (including cadmium), which ensures that it won't rot for many years. When you cut or drill into pallet wood, do it outside. Don't breathe in the sawdust! Wear gloves! :eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's a plank!
I cut and paste the base over the rack top picture.
I think Riley is going to bolt the battery base/cradle directly to the aluminium top.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I cut and paste the base over the rack top picture.
I think Riley is going to bolt the battery base/cradle directly to the aluminium top.

I think that adding a pallet plank might be a good addition, because when the rivnuts are tightened very tight, it keeps the battery base flat and evenly stressed. Also, a plank adds a very small amount of bounce-free cushioning protection for any plastic, otherwise plastic rubs very slightly against aluminium, on bumpy roads.