Woosh Faro Review

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
No problems, Reading. Your right about the duel battery option being mentioned in other thread. I’ve also suggested that if the external battery cradle came with a weather proof clip on cover, which is easily replaced with the battery when needed, would be one more great marketing opportunity for the Faro. And yes I’d seriously consider a retro fit, should this ever become available in the future.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I understand installing a spare intube battery requires the removal of the fork ? That would be a pain out on the road. Certainly a dual battery option with a switch (or both in series) with, as you mention, a weather proof cover for the external (Hailong type?), when just using the intube battery for that lightweight fast commute during the week, but great range on holidays/tours/weekend rides

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I understand installing a spare intube battery requires the removal of the fork ? That would be a pain out on the road. Certainly a dual battery option with a switch (or both in series) with, as you mention, a weather proof cover for the external (Hailong type?), when just using the intube battery for that lightweight fast commute during the week, but great range on holidays/tours/weekend rides
In series would be a recipe for disaster :eek:, any twin battery set up needs to be in parallel.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
In series would be a recipe for disaster :eek:, any twin battery set up needs to be in parallel.
You not heard of advanced overvolting ? ;-)

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
If both were fitted I’m sure if on a planned long route, one would start journey using external battery (longest range obviously) and if ran to almost empty then could one manually change to internal battery allowing a further 25=30 miles range. Thus an almost 100 miles range?

Reading newbie

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2020
I do wonder how easy this would be to do oneself?

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Mmmmm phrases like advanced overvolting, and parallel batteries in series, kinda sends shivers down my spine . To say my electrical skills are limited is a huge understatement.From the first 100 miles I know I can easily achieve 30 miles range and this will be 99.5% of my rides, so am in no hurry to change anything. To be fair Reading technology moves quickly in ebikes and could be a future plug and play addition that even i could manage.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Mmmmm phrases like advanced overvolting, and parallel batteries in series, kinda sends shivers down my spine . To say my electrical skills are limited is a huge understatement.From the first 100 miles I know I can easily achieve 30 miles range and this will be 99.5% of my rides, so am in no hurry to change anything. To be fair Reading technology moves quickly in ebikes and could be a future plug and play addition that even i could manage.
That's just Nealh picking up on a my schoolboy error and me replying tongue in cheek.
The really interesting thing I read today was the development of a battery cell that has a 16 year lifespan, if they can adopt that technology for ebikes then that would be amazing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Not at 72v for a 36v hub and controller, controller will go bang first.
You obviously missed the ;-) wink to show I was joking...
In all seriousness Kids, don't do it, as Nealh says, your controller WILL go bang and might smoke a bit if you put two 36v batteries in series through your 36v controller....

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Forgive my ignorance but is a spur not a fail safe that only allows current from one battery or the other even if both are turned on accidentally. Probably codswallop but only one turned on, then off before the other turned on would that not work?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forgive my ignorance but is a spur not a fail safe that only allows current from one battery or the other even if both are turned on accidentally. Probably codswallop but only one turned on, then off before the other turned on would that not work?

If both are connected and turned on (voltage as close as poss) then they will drain and equalise fairly equally, the loading from each battery is about half so less current and stress for the cells.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Thanks nealh hopefully my internal battery will last a few years. So by the time I replace technology will allow larger capacity for the same weight and size penalty. Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Next generation will likely be larger because of the 21700 cell format which can give more capacity, current trends are still 18650 though. Not enough testing/cycling has been carried out by ebikers with the newer format, though the Sam 50E is looking promising but only a sub 10a discharge cell.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Possibly detrimental to the manufactures who produce the stealth bikes with internal batteries? Might struggle if the trend moves toward larger volume batteries or will the higher capacity even out the discrepancy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the problem that needs to be solved with a spur for external battery is the auto-isolation if the battery is not present. You can't leave the two pins live on the downtube if the battery is not there.

Last edited:

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi Woosh some type of battery terminal isolators possibly built into that elusive cover for cradle when not in use?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
true. Still needs to be made.
Alternatively, a circuit board inside the battery base that switches on the external battery when the voltage of the external battery is higher than the internal one.

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Great topic about a lovely bike.
Looks much nicer in the flesh.
I need to paint the silver supports of the mudguards
I had a few teething issues but Hatti was fantastic.

With the battery I've seen some videos on YouTube were folk have plugged in external batterys into the charge port.
I obviously wouldn't try this but maybe an option.

What are people's thoughts on the best tyres I have only taken my bike out once so far but my commute is 16 miles and definitely want the best puncture resistant tyres.

Had issues with the inner tubes at halfords do we need 80mm presto?

My front handle bars I've changed the grips as didn't like the standard ones but notice my handlebar(front stem) moves very freely from side to side is this normal.
When bike is on the bike stand the wheel easily rotates to the side, very freely . Which I find quite nervy.

I have the standard 8ah and looking forward to putting miles on it.

It's very easy to ride with the battery turned off also!

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Are there any plans to do the faro in a different colour to Matt black? My workplace shelters have clear panels and are like mini greenhouses. I can’t imagine a Matt black frame in full sun for 8 hours would be very good for the battery!