Woosh Santana.. A rose or a thorn?

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Woosh Santana.. A rose or a thorn? the review..

Firstly I must start by saying that I have no connection with Woosh Bikes nor have I been offered any inducements,this review is 100% impartial.

Secondly.. there are a couple of things that have delayed this review, and they are... I couldn't work out what type of person / rider this bike is for, and forgetting the facts and figures that my head knows...what did my heart feel about it?

So eyes down here we go..

The box arrived from Woosh Bikes.. and quite a big box it was

Armed with a knife the box was opened, the bike extracted and the contents examined

And a box

Charger / spoke key / spanner / screwdriver / allen keys (assorted) / two keys and the compulsory instruction book that may get read one day.

Quality of the tools were better than supplied with some kits and perfectly adequate.

5 mins later the bike (bars and peddles) were assembled and the charger plugged in.. easy peasy so far.

Time to now give the bike a good looking at.

Suspension front forks

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Review part 2

Adjustable bar angle

Front disc & quick release

Rear V brakes showing substantial fixings

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Review part 3

Kenda 'fat' Tires 26" x 1.95"

Ooooooooh the seat tilts for easy access to battery

Electronic controls with leds & the little ting ting bell

I think this is where the controller lives

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Review part 4

The top of the battery showing the test switch, and what happens when you press it

Showing the location of the motor connector

The gears

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Review part 5

Out on the first test ride, also showing the front and rear light / reflector

I'm really impressed with the strength of the frame and the quality of the build which was way above my expectations, my riding style is kinda aggressive with deliberate counter steering at every opportunity, and I'm happy to say that the frame and the wheels didn't show any signs of complaint nor any feel of being unable to cope with all I threw at it. I'm not sure if the spokes are stainless as in their blurb or alloy, but they are very well damped wheels that spring no surprises.

After a few days of using the bike and a few more days thinking about it.. I worked out that its actually kinda suitable for most things from a quick trip to the shops, leisurely cruising, commuting and a mid level of off road, is it all things to all men ?.. well no, its not a folder and its not a down hill racer, but I recon its about as close as it gets, and my heart.. well my heart says its missing it (should of made Woosh bikes an offer for it)

I was pleased to see that Woosh Bikes do replacement batteries and chargers for their range of bikes that are reasonably priced.

So the bottom line is that in my humble opinion its a very well balanced comfortable to ride bike from a company that offers exceptional value for your hard earned money

And here's what they say..

Specifications

36Volts 10AH Lithium battery
Maximum speed 15 miles per hour
Dual control: pedal assist and twist grip throttle
range: 30-40 miles on flat roads with throttle control, more with pedal assist
17" frame, 26" wheels, suitable for average riders (5' 4" to 6' 4")
Aluminium frame
Sporty 6 speed Shimano Index Shift
Overall Dimension (mm):
Motor: lightweight Bafang 8-Fun brushless rear hub motor rated 250W
Brakes: front disc brakes, rear V brakes
Saddle: mens city style
Tyres: Kenda 26" by 1.95"
Battery charger for UK mains
Weight (including all accessories): 24kgs
bell and lights
Guarantee: 1 year parts and labour, excluding consumables

Main features

delivered 95% built, ride away in minutes
top brand proven components
fully accessorized
fat 1.95in Kenda tyres for comfortable commuting
mechanical components widely available
3 levels of assistance, 26" wheel, stainless spokes, streamlined 17" frame
6 speed Shimano gear system
easy twist throttle for fast get a ways
up to 30 miles on single charge, 40 with easy pedalling
24 kgs – light enough to ride with no power

If there are any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.. or maybe Hatti from Woosh bikes will jump in with the answers.

Last edited:

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Dave, and thanks for that interesting and fairly comprehensive review. You do not make it clear if you have actually bought this bike, or if it is on loan for review. There are a few further facts that would interest me.
1. How far did you ride it without power, and how much motor drag was noticed.
2. What is the retail price?
3 I notice it has a disc brake on the front. Cable or hydraulic? In your opinion, are discs brakes worth the extra cost and awkward maintenance compared to vee brakes?
4. What is the battery chemistry? Is there likely to be enough space in the battery case for DIY cell replacement. A two year battery guarantee would have been nice, and a very strong selling point.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the review Dave, that's an excellent bike for £599 and far better value than some other "budget" machines. Impressive, even to the included tools.

I don't think one can expect long battery guarantees and the like at that price, especially when one considers that many e-bike batteries alone cost around that total price.

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Looks good for the money,yes its a suzuki competing against mercedes, is the mercedes any better and reliable ? not according to the jds power survey and thats what says it all.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Hi neptune

Sorry for the important omissions & the bike was on loan for the purpose of the review.

1. errrrr I'm sorry to say that I didn't take note of how far I went (which in hindsight is a major omission) however, I went miles and miles... lol (at one stage the wife even got ready for a phone call from the emergency services as I'd been gone for so long), motor drag was not an issue.. the rear hub although being a lot heaver than the front didn't seem to have any drag.
2. From their web site

• Only £569 including delivery.
  • Price will go up to £599 from November 1st.

3. Its a cable disc brake and IMHO I have never seen any benefit of discs on a 'road bike' ... V's rock,
however some would disagree and I suppose its a good thing as its included for 'free', the calliper didn't look that it would be hard to maintain.
4. Battery is 36Volts 10AH Lithium and I didn't take it apart to see how much room was in the case, but as its a sort of 'standard' size I'm sure that one of our forum major fettelers will know the answer.

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks good for the money,yes its a suzuki competing against mercedes, is the mercedes any better and reliable ? not according to the jds power survey and thats what says it all.
I think you've summed it up pretty well there. Look out for more iminent exiting new models from Woosh. I think the next one's going to be a stormer, so hold on to your money for a bit if you're about to buy a new bike and want different styling to the Santana. I did give a few hints a while back, but now it seems that it really is iminent.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for the review Dave , looks very good value for money . I like the attention to detail , note the reflector on the propstand . Shame you couldn`t have ridden it until the battery ran out . Perhaps Hatti could do a few circuits of Southend or ride it South London to show Eddieo . Make the support vehicle an Ambulance, so that if he falls over with amazement at the sight of such a lovely machine he gets kissed speedily back to life !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Thanks for the review Dave , looks very good value for money . I like the attention to detail , note the reflector on the propstand . Shame you couldn`t have ridden it until the battery ran out . Perhaps Hatti could do a few circuits of Southend or ride it South London to show Eddieo . Make the support vehicle an Ambulance, so that if he falls over with amazement at the sight of such a lovely machine he gets kissed speedily back to life !
Really good idea......just not totally convinced about the ambulance though :rolleyes: :p

Lynda :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
sorry to disappoint Roger but not my kind of thing, but you knew that anyway you tease. But happy to be resuscitated by anyone... including Hatti:p

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for the review Dave, really, lets be honest, at that price most people, in the real world, cant go wrong can they ?

Reminds me a bit of my old Powacycle Windsor which cost about the same when I bought it 4 years ago....alright, it wasnt a power horse but was more than fit for every day leisure cycling, which seems to be what the majority of people want.
Battery was still going strong when I sold it for half what I paid for it.......and still is .....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
sorry to disappoint Roger but not my kind of thing, but you knew that anyway you tease. But happy to be resuscitated by anyone... including Hatti:p
:D....REALLY ???.......Id bet money you would rather DIE than be resuscitated by me :eek: ROFLMAO

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Lynda. Bet your really cheesed off that the battery is still working fine after you sold it. Find the buyer and let his tyres down.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
@Lynda. Bet your really cheesed off that the battery is still working fine after you sold it. Find the buyer and let his tyres down.
Lol.....shes a friend of a friend so Im very relieved..... although I did warn her it will need replacing sooner rather than later.

I actually found it hard to let go as I had become quite attached to it so kept it for a long while after getting my new bike before eventually let it go. I DID explain to her however that it likes to be talked to whilst out and about and when not listening to rock music :D

Im well over that relationship now and just delighted with my Tonaro's superior hill climbing ( maybe Im just fickle ) :D

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Reminds me a bit of my old Powacycle Windsor which cost about the same when I bought it 4 years ago....alright, it wasnt a power horse but was more than fit for every day leisure cycling, which seems to be what the majority of people want.
Battery was still going strong when I sold it for half what I paid for it.......and still is .....

still an evil machine

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
still an evil machine
Nope...Ive told you before Dave...just because you were having to repair them for your LBS you were seeing the worst and it has clouded your judgement. ( and you with your Izip wasp drone beast from hell lol ) :p (ducks)

Mine certainly wasnt/isnt the best bike in the world but it did the job for me for a while :)