Woosh Zephyr CD, review anyone?

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Thanks Jackhandy I thought that looked wrong :) Edited post & info on web anyway.. Oops!
Just thinking about how to manoeuvre bike thru train/shop/pub :p doors when folded.
Heaviest folder at present is 16kg & don't fancy trying lift any more, esp if carrying shopping too, so rolling is favourite. Maybe a ???mm(clearance?!) castor wheel on that prop loop under frame might work? Yet more weight of course. Would it need to be lockable, so bike doesn't roll away on trains?
Cheers, Mike

Last edited:

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
We are still looking for a review of the Zephyr CD ..... has anyone actually sat on one and tried it yet , a detailed review would be great but not essential at this stage .

CMON someone must have sat on the b.....g...r
I am being sad again .... replying to my own question ....... ANYONE tried one yet ? ,does it exist? Has Hatti had them all sent back ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Gordonal

DON'T be sad! We have just been really really busy last few weeks. The Zephyr CD should be up for review in the next 2 weeks, and you can then make an informed decision.

In the meantime if there are any in depth details you want to know PM me - not a problem.

The Zephyr CD | Chain Drive Electric Bikes from Woosh | electric bike sales & hire

Hatti
Hi Hatti my appeal was not to you especially it was directed at any of the officianados ? out there who may have tested it .

Still a slightly sad man but a little less

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi Hatti my appeal was not to you especially it was directed at any of the officianados ? out there who may have tested it .
I don't think they've got them yet, so nobody has one!

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
aaaahhhh that explains it thanks d8veh

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
The Zephyr CD should be up for review in the next 2 weeks
There is a rumor (just started now) that not only will it be a review but there will also a direct head to head comparison with real time graphs against a couple of 20" folder conversions.

Will it be good enough ?

Last edited:

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
I went for a quick spin around the block a few times on a Zephyr CD today.
( should say this is only 2nd elec bike I've been on after a couple of zips on a Brompton nano).
Quite comfy tho I'd like more travel in suspension. (maybe Suntour gas shock option? A headshock would be more compact than telescopics but they can't make any changes that affect the EN test cert )
Surge of power is very seductive, tho higher gears are needed.
( 11-34t freewheel is on the cards apparently, 46t? chainwheel too expensive to change yet, maybe next model)
I didn't notice the discs, felt like v-brakes, so assume working well.
Liked the Display with Speedo, much better than basic type.
(only got up to 13mph in 6th as 7th gear needed adjustment)
Seat does adjust higher than pics show, main fold is positive and needs a magnetic catch to keep sus forks parallel to rear frame for rolling . Handlebars do fold across bike behind seat, compact enough for storage & car boot, maybe not public transport tho.
Not as heavy as I thought it would be, ok for odd few steps, not for high shelf or long carry.
Proper mudguards would be nice, as Moto style are too short.
Other 'tweeks' & improvements on the way. Watch their web site !
I look forward to a longer test ride when higher gears go on it. Tempting :)

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Any luck gettin a model reviewed yet? Looking for a Zephyr and Zephyr review but cant find either.

Like the look. At the minute its the only sub £750 folding bike without the battery behind the seat which doesnt look good and also has a 250w motor.

Can you fit a rack on the back?
Is it possible to change the gears, my trips are all flat so would really like to be able to have a higher high gear.

Are there any upcomming improvements? Read something in another thread.

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
This the only sub £1500 folder with a crank drive that I've seen at all. If you don't particularly need/want a crank drive the Kudos Secret has the battery in the same place at £725.

.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.

Geo13647

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2013
Any luck gettin a model reviewed yet? Looking for a Zephyr and Zephyr review but cant find either.

Like the look. At the minute its the only sub £750 folding bike without the battery behind the seat which doesnt look good and also has a 250w motor.

Can you fit a rack on the back?
Is it possible to change the gears, my trips are all flat so would really like to be able to have a higher high gear.

Are there any upcomming improvements? Read something in another thread.
Hi,
Just got my Zephyr CD at the weekend, too busy having fun on it to finish the review I've started.
However, here's a couple of first impressions.
1.. Woosh are a nice company to deal with. Hatti & Andrew were really helpful with all the inane questions I was asking. The bike arrived when I asked for it, well packed in a BIG box, as usual the box suffered a bit of bashing, but with a bin bag full of bubble wrap & polystyrene, the bike inside was undamaged.
2.. Unpacking & assembly was a doddle, the instructions are clear & concise. Although the bike only weighs 21kg, it's an awkward lift out of it's box due to the size & balance. Do take care & have an assistant.
3.. Once assembled, charge the battery fully, it will take several hours. This is a good time to go over the whole bike & check all the nuts 'n bolts, check the tyres, I had to add about 15 psi to mine. Fold up the box in case it's needed later, clear up all the rubbish you will have scattered about the bike. Get a coffee.
4.. Now it's time to enjoy.

Ok. Some thoughts & comments. (These are just my own observations & thoughts. YMMV)
The bike is well balanced and easy to use. I am 55, unfit, 5' 9", & 87kg. Last cycled 15 years ago.
After a few wobbles, off I went, that was a week ago & I'm still smiling.

Some niggles.
-The seatpost is, for me, a little short, it's 300mm 30.4 od, there is a safety screw that stops the post wiping out the controller, apart from that, very standard & easy & cheap to change.
-The saddle is abysmal, again, easy & cheap to change. Got a nice comfy gel one from haflords.
-The bottom of the seatpost houses the 'leccy bits, the cover is a poor fit, needs a little bit of filing & some goop to waterproof it properly. All the wiring is well insulated, but I don't want to be scooping up water.
-The plastic plug to cover the charge socket is a joke, it works, but does not stay captive to the socket like it should, need to find a better way.

Fitting a rack is easy, you do need to get a universal adjustable one tho' as the LHS frame holds the brakes, you need a bar clamp. The RHS is ok as there is a threaded hole to use, replace the screws holding the mudguard with bolts, this allows you to attach the front of the rack. Assemble everything loosely, and adjust to level & balance. Looks good & you can just jam the mudguard in place.

The gears are a standard 7 speed Shimano SIS cassette, different gearing should be doable, although I haven't tried that yet.

That's all fer now.
Any questions, just ask.

Regards,
George...

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Better CD shifts with Sensor on Gear cable?

I wondered if gear shifts on a CD bike would work better if a Hidden Brake Wire Sensor were put on the Gearshift cable?
That way, even if one forgot to squeeze the brake, the power would be cut while shifting, yes?
And it could be commoned with either brake cutout to minimize extra wiring.
Does that sound feasible?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mikey Bikey

That sounds like an excellent idea. How clever!
Does anyone have one I could beg steal or borrow (or of course buy) to try?
If it works we would certainly look to getting it installed on future orders.

Hatti

I wondered if gear shifts on a CD bike would work better if a Hidden Brake Wire Sensor were put on the Gearshift cable?
That way, even if one forgot to squeeze the brake, the power would be cut while shifting, yes?
And it could be commoned with either brake cutout to minimize extra wiring.
Does that sound feasible?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a good idea, but won't suit everyone. The problem is the two second delay in the power coming back on after it's been cut. You'd stall-out if you were on a steep hill and started changing down. It needs a different controller with much less delay like this one:
http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=309

Geo13647

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2013
It's a good idea, but won't suit everyone. The problem is the two second delay in the power coming back on after it's been cut. You'd stall-out if you were on a steep hill and started changing down. It needs a different controller with much less delay like this one:
http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=309
Yep - the lag is quite noticeable, you do need to think ahead to get in the lower gears. However, as long a you are using a lower assist setting 1 or 2 (not the throttle) you can get smooth changes without cutting the power. It's just getting the cadence right. Exactly the same as a clutchless gear change on a car.
You do need to have the gearset nicely adjusted. Mine was ever so slightly out due to settling in.
Once you have made the change, then you can use the throttle or goose the motor with a 4 or 5 assist if required, assuming you have the amps to do that. (The Zephyr CD is a bit wimpy on a 20% hill if you don't lend a hand (or foot :) ))