work bike/cargo bike

stuvy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 2, 2013
im looking at either a dutch cargo bike or a conventional 2 wheeler to tow a trailer. I already have a trailer so that would probably be the cheaper alternative.

What would you all recomend to tow a trailer with 80+kg

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Who heavy are you what range do you need and speed any hills and what effort can you put in. And this is before we get onto budget style of bike and drive type( don't ask hub or crank).

D

Deleted member 4366

80kg load is a lot. Could we have a bit more info about it. Obviously, you'd need a different system to transport 80kg of lead from 80kg of mattresses.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like you need one of Stalkingcats specials :D, however they are highly illegal :eek:.
What ever you use will need some top hdb's to help with stopping.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm tempted to suggest this, but seriously, my extensive experience with heavy towing using bikes and trailers is that 80 kilos is too great for two wheeled trailer towing.

That sort of weight seriously wags the tail when on a trailer, leaving the bike and rider almost no control in some circumstances.

I've no personal experience with Dutch two wheeled freight bikes so don't know if that is a viable weight for any of them. Maybe a word with these people will cast some light on that.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Here is a link to a Yuba Mundo with a Bafang BBS02 fitted.
The bike can handle 200KG of weight and they ride quite nicely even when laden. I think the mid drive suits it quite well and you've loads of options for battery placement. Cycleezee also do a Yuba conversion and there own version of a cargo bike which look good, and they always have good reviews.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64647

If your loaded you could go with the extracycle with a Bosch Mid-drive.
http://electricbikereview.com/xtracycle/edgerunner-10e/

I'm just in the process of converting my Mundo with a BBS02, so I will let you know what its like in the next week or two hopefully.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
As D8veh says, the load volume is key here, this will dictate, trike, longtail or low slung two wheel cargo. We have a cargo bike (veloelectrique.co.uk). That we use for loads of stuff... no pun intended. Seems to cope with as much weight as we can get in it, yet still a comfortable ride. You will probably find the electric assist is useful to get you started then you will just cruise along with minimal power as you'll find with British roads you are restricted by your bravery rather than the available power. I do see a few of the two wheel cargo bikes our way too, but never see them loaded.

John

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
im looking at either a dutch cargo bike or a conventional 2 wheeler to tow a trailer. I already have a trailer so that would probably be the cheaper alternative.

What would you all recomend to tow a trailer with 80+kg
i'dgofor a bakfiets, if you live somewhere conmpletely level it's fine to toddle along with a heavy trailer very slowly, but any hills (i tried this a whi9le back with a 100kg capacity canadian trailer)and it becomes a health and safetyissue as teh bikes brakes cant stop you and teh back wheel looses traction