World’s 280 million electric bikes and mopeds are cutting demand for oil far more than electric cars

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't surprise me, esp in the countries where the infrastructure and up take in cycling is far superior to the nonsense our gov't & planners get away with.
My travelling by road is 99% cycle use, my estate car use is literally to the tip with a car full or taking the pussies to the vets.

One example of good infrastructure is a city in Norway, the cylceways are well away from roads and covers some 800+km of routes, even in winter 20% still ride. The local gov't legally have to keep all routes open, routes are kept ploughed /swept when more then 2cm of snow builds up.

Reactions: Az.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For shopping runs, transport of gardening supplies etc. my trailers are pretty much perfect, replacing the car... but I'd like a four wheeled bicycle trailer with adjustable length... because although my bike is capable of hauling heavy objects, I can't lug about bulky items such as cookers, fridges, coffins etc. I can't find such a trailer to buy, however here's a pic I found on Pininterest (a little tricky to identify in Pininterest's code, to link the pic directly [no right click allowed... so left click on image, then use Webdeveloper addon CTRL+SHIFT+I]). It'd save the occasional hiring of an angry man with a van. For some reason, they're nearly always angry. Most hate cyclists - I hate having to hire angry men with vans.

Aha, I've found where someone on Pininterest discovered the above trailer, instructions:

Here's a bigger pic:

I'd prefer an axle hitch.

Chuck seats on, it could do the school run? That'd save a lot of fuel, reduce traffic congestion. Schcool runs are a right pain when cycling at certain times. I had to walk miles to school. Seems kids are all chauffeured now, and unhealthily chubby looking.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I guess we are hardy enthusiasts who are prepared to use our bikes all year around, but my use of petrol/diesel/miles in a car has vastly reduced after buying my first electric bike and discovering how useful they are, also improving your general activity levels and getting you out in the fresh air.

My last career was on The Railways and now I am retired I can travel free on them and the combination of my electric bikes and the local rail network is also very useful.

Yesterday I met friends in London to visit a museum and eat out afterwards and I used my bike to get me to and from my local station, again very useful and making me completely independent of lifts/taxis etc.

I know the bulk of the posts on the site are from people requiring help to fix their bikes, and I have had to fix mine on occasion as well as do preventative maintenance, but my youngest electric bike, supposedly less reliable as a crank drive bike, and a branded purpose built bike, a Yamaha Haibike hard tail mountain bike will be nine years old in March 2024, and my other two rear hub bikes are twelve and a half years old, and all still working very well.

One of the twelve and half year old bikes is the first bike I bought, a generic Chinese rear hub electric bike with throttle, a Oxygen Emate model, and my daughter relies on it currently to get her to and from work in the nearest town about six and a half miles away. She can take it on the train when that option is available, but as a shift worker like I was, in the same industry, often has to ride as the trains either have not started running, or have finished running.

She has become a real convert commenting on how quickly and easily she can do the journey, and as she has yet to pass her car test also uses it for other journeys as well. I noticed when riding with her that the performance of my old bike is transformed with her aboard as she weighs about half what I do. Its faster everywhere and climbs almost as well as my crank drive Haibike.

But most people in this country seem to have a mental block about cycling rather than using their cars, and when I speak to them view me as an eccentric.

Last edited:

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Thank you for this interesting thread, the thinking behind it I wholeheartedly endorse. For local shopping and the U3A bike rides I would be bereft without my pedelecs. Peter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Eccentric means people who say it are lazy or unwilling to change , the Industrial area of new town I live in and where I was born in was dominated by bikes in the 50/60's . They were the main mode of transport for 100's of workers when all the major manufacturing giants of the times were located /relocated here.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Bikes really work when ones employment is local, rather than having to commute 1 or 2 hours each way. Never seen the rational myself.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
an eccentric
I used to cycle in my pre pedelec days 15 miles to and from one place of work not every day may be 2/3/4 days as the mood took me winter days as well. I usually took a longer route on the way home to avoid the traffic through town. I know I was considered eccentric for it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the Industrial area of new town I live in and where I was born in was dominated by bikes in the 50/60's . They were the main mode of transport for 100's of workers when all the major manufacturing giants of the times were located /relocated here.
The same over the whole of Britain in the 1940s and '50s Neal, cars virtually non-existent post war. But not so much cycling in the 1960s as people fell to the charms of Vespas and the like and cars became more available.

Everyone moans about today's governments but really that is unfair. It was our governments 1970 to the 1990s that were the real evil. Just look at this comparison between your Norway example and Britain in the early 1970s:

In 1972 Norway noted with alarm the decline in cycling and growth of cars, so they acted to both restrict cars and start expanding their very small at that time cycling infrastructure. Britain was proud of its growth in car ownership and saw most of its cycle trade shut down by 1980.

Norway and Britain were both blessed with North Sea oil and gas. Norway decided to invest all the income from it, Britain spent it as fast as it arrived making ourselves rich in consumer goods like cars.

The result? We are near to bankrupt with an immense public debt. Norway has the world's largest sovereign fund, with every Norwegian down to the tinyest baby worth over quarter of a million pounds each in invested cash. In addition large capital fund investments, in effect making them all millionaires. That is why they can afford great cycling and driving facilities now, while we can't afford to repair potholes. Not only that, they started the e-car switch very early and it will be final from 2025 with clean air dominant, again because they can easily afford it now.

It's too late now, we blew our opportunities 3 to 6 decades ago. Our gas has gone so we have to import it, yes, from Norway! Most of our oil has gone so we mine the dregs while looking for more. Norway has plenty of both, since with so many cars running on electric and a total population of just 5 millions they don't even use much oil themselves. They export it to make themselves even wealthier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I reckon the reason we have been binging on public debts is because of the status of the Pound as reserve currency.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I reckon the reason we have been binging on public debts is because of the status of the Pound as reserve currency.
That certainly helps us to do that, but the end will always be the same, the harsh day of reckoning.

The usual escape route twice has been world scale war, clinging onto the winners apron strings our way of saying we won too and cashing in accordingly. Trouble is that's becoming far too risky with nuclear arms, meaning too much peace has broken out.

Just look at the Middle East where only Iran is prepared to have a go at Israel, with the Arab nations like Saudi Arabia et al signing peace accords with Israel. A big change since the six day war and Nasser's Egypt grabbing the Suez Canal.

So this time we are stuck, praying for the USA to bail us out in some way. Some hope, it's "America First" now, no more Mr Nice Guy with Marshall aid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
although my bike is capable of hauling heavy objects, I can't lug about bulky items such as cookers, fridges, coffins etc.
Best make your own as I did, specifically to allow under counter fridges and cookers etc to be carried. But I prefer two wheels to avoid the drag of four wheels. Mine is based on the same HomeCom base as yours but it wasn't called that back then in the early 1990s and was a grey import from France through CycleKing:

Information Link

Reactions: Az.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You want to get one of these below.

View attachment 55150
Looks like it has a handbrake?

I could undertake undertakings with two Homcoms. I could overtake undertaking undertaking with a BBSHD.

Reminds me of that joke where Jesus goes to a hotel, slaps four big nails on the counter and says "Put me up for the night"

Best make your own as I did, specifically to allow under counter fridges and cookers etc to be carried. But I prefer two wheels to avoid the drag of four wheels.
I very much like that centralised hitch of yours, do you have larger detailed photos? My bike cares not about drag. To transport bulky heavy items, I could join two Homcom trailers using square steel box section, bolt the two trailer's sides together using two end Homcom end cages - that should be good for at least 200Kg cargo. My bike should cope with that, on level ground. To drag 200kg up steep hills, I'd need to swap out my 52T chainring for a 42T or smaller, and increase the BBS01B controller limit to 20A. It may well manage dragging 200kg + 31kg of trailer uphill with those changes, but most cookers weigh less than 100kg. My 20" wheeled folding bike with 52T chainwheel coped with the controller limited to 15A, 36V 19.2Ah battery, dragging a 15.5kg trailer + 76kg cargo up steep hills. It's hills all over the shop around here. I may well do this, because a second £70 Homcom trailer would pay for itself with unaccountably angry van man hire fees + tips under duress I'd be saving. Bewilderingly they're nearly always angry, even after being paid tips.

"50kg", limited by the bike's QR axle. The tubular steel trailer is capable of bearing much heavier weight.

The turning circle would be pretty big.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The turning circle would be pretty big.
When we had a Hann (*) trailer behind our tandem the turning circle was very big.
An added complication was if the trailer got to 90 degrees from the bike the coupling no longer gave vertical stability so down went trailer (and child).

(*) Rann trailer made by Mr Hannington.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I very much like that centralised hitch of yours, do you have larger detailed photos?
Detailed photos and full description.

You'll need something made with stronger materials for your maximum tow weights. The knob was a decorative large plastic bottle top that I saw an among rubbish (maybe a scent bottle) that I turned down to size, but you'll need to panel beat a thick steel cup to suit whatever ball you use.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Detailed photos and full description.

You'll need something made with stronger materials for your maximum tow weights. The knob was a decorative large plastic bottle top that I saw an among rubbish (maybe a scent bottle) that I turned down to size, but you'll need to panel beat a thick steel cup to suit whatever ball you use.
I also like the way your hitch connects to your bike. Sadly, without a lathe I can't make a suitable ball.

I'm certain there are better solutions than the badly depicted below, but this is what I can knock up in a hurry using what I have to hand - square steel bar, the sides made with 5mm thick steel flat bar I have kicking around, the middle with 10 or 15mm thick. Green bits are bolts through; orange thick washers. Both Homcom and Carry Freedom hitches should work ok with this, for 100kg cargo anyway. For 200kg, I'd need to make a stronger hitch and towing arm.

Last edited: